Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
What's the Estimated Value?

I found this AS, talked to the owner and we have discussed it's value. I'm looking to get a consensus on what it's worth. It's been used as a storage locker, it's a bit dinged up, but it doesn't look like it has any leaks, surprisingly. The owner had in set in place by a crane. I'd have to remove it the same way. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	76572   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	76573  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-3.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	76574   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-5.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	76575  

tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Without seeing the rest of the entire layout..
Valued 1$ to 100$
Remember, the crane cost and, the "you towed" it away cost as well...
At that, you are only but just starting to redefine the term, "Money Pit".
Good Luck~!
53FC
Just between the two of us.. you paid him 500$.. tell me that's right?
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ouch! That end cap looks sad. Are any of the window frames dented? It's a 13 panel. Caravanner from the looks of the roadside windows. '56? '57? Ohh... they all leak. Here is a resource page - Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values. I'd say it's off the low end of the value listed for 'as found.' 53flyingcloud's estimate sounds about right.

Value? After $30-40K worth of work it might be in the upper teens. Hard to say what the market will do.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I don't know what cranes cost but it might be cheaper to take down the fence, move it out, and put the fence back up.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
I found this AS, talked to the owner and we have discussed it's value. I'm looking to get a consensus on what it's worth. It's been used as a storage locker, it's a bit dinged up, but it doesn't look like it has any leaks, surprisingly. The owner had in set in place by a crane. I'd have to remove it the same way. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
The "original" window frames would bring about $150.00 ea. on ebay.
The aluminum scraped should bring about $500.00

Need to see the inside, but my guess would be: $2000.00 then minus your time and labor would make it free, the owner should pay you for the removal.

Toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
If it is dented as severely on the back end as it is on the front, it's much more than I would want to take on at any price. Considering it would have to be gotten out of the yard via a crane could create further problems. If the frame is at all weak, the crane lift could be catastrophic.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
With all of the cautions that have been voiced above plus all of the other unknowns that will pop up, the list is seemingly endless. I have to referred back to something my father once told me.

"Sometimes Free Too Much"

Unless of course you have limitless supplies of money you don't know what to do with. And a couple of years worth of weekends that you have no plans for.

SL
Old 03-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
The big hole in the side would definitely let water in. I agree, you should be given the trailer for the cost of lifting it out again. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The place where the trailer is looks more like a junk yard than a back yard. I think the owner should pay for the crane and some money to you to haul it away. On the other hand, if you take it away and restore it, you'll have something to talk about for decades to come, though your friends will quickly tire of hearing it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Scrap prices are way down. Around 40 cents for aluminum compared to over a dollar a few years ago.

A month ago a friend stripped an aluminum delivery van body and all he got was $75. An Airstream would probably get you $100 to $150 but the aluminum has to be clean, no iron or steel. It would be a few days work to strip the trailer and then you have the problem of disposing of the wood, fibreglass, insulation, glass etc.

This is why no junkyard will take a trailer or motorhome. It's not worth the bother for all you get out of it, and this was true even when aluminum was worth 3 times what it is now.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
re: Cost

the street side front does not have a hole in it. For some reason a piece of tar paper is stuck to it making it look like it's a hugh gash in it. lol I thought the same thing when I saw the photo but forgot to post about it.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That's in some rough shape. Is there any interior left to it, or is it stripped out?

I bought a trailer that was in good, working condition, and still spent several thousand fixing this and that to get it to the condition where we can just grab it and go. After having been through frame and floor repairs, I'm not sure I would touch a project like the one you're looking at for any price! I might pass on it for free - because the cost to get into it is just the beginning!

I guess the final question is what do you want to do with it? Pool house, pet project, or camper? Because if camper is your answer, you might get frustrated by the length of project this could turn out to be. If you're looking for a fun project, it might be just the thing.

I can't imagine buying anything that involved the services of a crane though!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think I paid $175 to crane a hot tub onto a deck about 15 years ago. I can't imagine what a trailer would cost.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

If the interior is very good and the damage in the pics is the full extent of it it may have some value to it. It would require an entirely new end cap to make it look decent. The old ones are all flat aluminum sheets, not compound curved, so the material cost for those would not break the bank. If you have the expertise to build a new end cap yourself, and nothing but time on your hands, It might be something to consider.
Whenever you look at one this old you have to assume a full monty is going to be necessary. The cost is ALWAYS more than the final value. The question I would ask is are you in love with it? That is the one thing that you have to quantify for yourself. It is the only thing that might make it worthwhile to you.

So, are you in love, or is it just a fling? Two ships passing in the night?

Hope this helps, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote