Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
What's it worth - 1969 Sovereign

Seriously considering selling our '69 Sovereign,(in the spring) so I can put some money into our 62 TRADEWIND. Getting older, downsizing:-). The sovereign has two new axles (about 7 years) new roof a/c, new carpet, new toilet, and other stuff. Very good condition. I have some pictures in my profile, will have to post some more. I have priced ' 69 Sovereigns on various classifieds and sales sites and the prices range from $4,200 to $18,000 (asking prices) somewhat by condition but not really predictable. Thought that this year and model forum might have some good experiences at recent pricing. I paid about $8,000 about 7-8 years ago and have put axles, etc. into it. Also know that it's more common to not get back your investment, than to profit. Just trying to gauge the market from all sides. Any thoughts?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:05 AM   #2

1969 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
I was hoping to find lots of reply's to this as I am looking for the same answers. We have finally decided to sell our '69 Sovereign, but after hours on the internet, I still dont know what to start asking for it Any luck anywhere else Bilby05?
JPeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If you haven't already, do an advanced search of Ebay, and view the "completed" listings. You may not find any 1969 Sovs, but some similar aged and sized units to help you calibrate what people are actually paying.

My attitude toward pricing a 40 year old trailer is to evaluate it based on what has been done, and what needs to be done. So, Things like new AC, axles, plumbing, etc. are all a big plus. Things like Upholstery, interior paint and new carpet are an improvement over the original, but unless you find a buyer with your exact tastes, buyers aren't going to be willing to pay extra for these things. Upgrades like solar systems, sophisticated weight distribution hitches, retrofitted grey tanks are a double plus. Anything that requires repair/replacement, is of course a big minus. If you have a dorm fridge instead of an RV fridge, soft spots in the floor, tires that are worn out (or aged out), etc..

I have seen larger, late sixties trailers that are ready to camp, but with no substantial upgrades sell for $12-$14k in the last year. Without knowing any more about your trailers, I would guess this somewhere in the ballpark.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeeps View Post
I was hoping to find lots of reply's to this as I am looking for the same answers. We have finally decided to sell our '69 Sovereign, but after hours on the internet, I still dont know what to start asking for it Any luck anywhere else Bilby05?
The asking price depends on the condition of everything in and on the trailer.

What PM's have been done. What repairs may or may not have been done to all the appliances, water pump, etc.

Condition of axles. Have they been replaced because they only last about 25 years.

Gaskets, tires, sheet metal, plasticoat, upholstery, carpeting, drapes, rear end separation, light lenses in and outside, etc.

All of these things make for a very good trailer, to one that needs tons of work, and a lot of money, many times more than the purchase price.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:00 AM   #5

1969 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
Thank you for your reply's!! Our camper is pretty much all original, and in good working order. We replaced the furnace last fall, and both propane tanks, the fridge was replaced a few years ago with an RV fridge. It has been sitting for 25 years, only moved back and forth for tree cuttings around it, I'm sure it'll need new tires but everything else looks solid underneath. As far as the camper its self, there is absolutely no water damage, everything works, and floor is solid from front to back. Again, I really appreciate your replys as I really dont know where to start out with selling this beaut, it was a hard decision to make, I defiantly want to make it worth it! Im not sure why the pictures aren't showing up but if anyones interested in taking a look at what I have, I have some pictures posted to my Facebook,

https://www.facebook.com/JPeeps/medi...6227116&type=3
Old 07-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Jpeeps--Your body style is notorious for floor rot along the back wall--you might want to poke at the floor with a sharp screw driver or icepick underneath the cabinets and make sure it is solid before you make any promises to possible buyers. The same is true along the curve of the front wall, and behind the refrigerator.

You might find some folks out there that see the expression "all original" and think it means that it is pristine, unmolested, and somehow collectible. When I read that, I think about all the 40 year old stuff that needs to be repaired, replaced, updated, and so on. If you are still riding on your original axles, they need to be replaced--the elastomers in there don't stay springy for 40 years. Between two new axles and 4 tires, it will cost someone around $2000+ to get the running gear up to snuff.

Have a look at the following:

Price vs. Condition - Vintage Airstream

Scroll to the bottom, and you can see where your trailer falls, and the guesstimate that the author would give it for price. Based on your description, I would see your trailer as in "Average" condition (per the definition on the web page), and the value is suggested to be between $4100 and $8500. If you subtract the cost of wheels and axles mentioned above from the high end, then you are probably sitting somewhere around $6000.

good luck!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #7

1969 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
Thank you Belegedhel, we have checked the floor though out, however we will have to double check the front wall, and behind the fridge, thanks for this information. I suppose I should change the "all original"? What I meant by that is it has not been upgraded or switched out. We did have one light cover on the ceiling break but replaced it with same year and make. I do not want it to come off as something that it's not, nor do I want to waste anyones time. But again everything is in working order. Im not positive, I'll have to ask my Dad but I'm pretty sure the wheels and axles were replaced just before we bought it, so 25 years ago, but I also know just sitting is not good for them either.

Thank you so much for your time!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
I had it at a "consignment" trailer sales lot, that sells new trailers too. Some other brands of trailers. I was asking $10k, with the dealer option to accept as low as $6k, with no bites at all through most of the summer. I am in it in Cimmaron, NM, right now and everything still works and it is comfortable. Still wish I could find a nice year round place to park it, but I guess I am too picky about where I would like to have it. Hawaii would be nice but they have too many holes to float all the way over. Think I will have a go at e-bay, Craig's list and of course air forum's classifieds.. I still think I should be able to get between $6k and $10. Either that or just keep moving it around and camp in it until I can't figure how to hitch it up any more. Which may not be as long as I'd like. I also thought about other options, i.e. a taco truck, coffee shop or stand it on end in my yard and make it into a grain silo. Possibly drag it out to Cadillac Ranch and sell sodas and trinkets out of it until I get caught. ( I live near Amarillo, you know.) also thought of putting a for sale sign on it and seeing how many rallies I could hit in one year. Lots of options. I guess you can tell that is not much going on in Cimmaron at the moment. :-) cheers, bill b.

bill b.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of the trailer shopping that is done these days is performed online. So I would expect you could get a lot more nibbles with a good Craigslist or Air Forums ad than by just putting it on a sales lot.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:55 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Ditto the comment on doing your sale via internet. I sold my '69 31' International in 1999 (full asking price, sight unseen) via an Airstream site.

A year ago I sold my '92 34' Limited through the Airforums classifieds for full asking price, again sight unseen, but I did deliver it to Estes Park (with my expenses paid).

I wouldn't even try to place it with an RV lot unless they were very Airstream savvy, which most are not.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #11
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of the trailer shopping that is done these days is performed online. So I would expect you could get a lot more nibbles with a good Craigslist or Air Forums ad than by just putting it on a sales lot.

I think you are correct. I am a bit leery of e-bay, since I have heard some bad stuff that has gone on there with scams, etc. but I am planning on going with the Airstream Forum Classifieds and Craig's list for sure. Thanks, bill b.

bill b.

Tags
1969 sovereign, sovereign