Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
fingringhoe , colchester, essex
What is the best year and model to buy to sell on for a profit

Hello, I am new to airstreams and living in the UK. There are so many of them but too few over here. I want to buy an airstream for the two of us to live in for a short while. I then want to sell it on without losing money. I could buy a normal UK caravan but know it will lose its value. Need some advice on what is the most popular one to buy and sell on. I am pretty handy, I am a carpenter and fancy doing one up myself, buying the shell in good condition and then tailoring it to our needs. I have time on my hands around a good 4 months 7 days a week.

Your advice would be most appreciated. This is a wonderful site just discovered it. Cheers
fliptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #2

1974 31' Sovereign
Black Mt , North Carolina
Welcome Fliptop (love the name) We are new to this forum and Airstreams. Our humble adice is whatever model you choose have a seasoned Airstreamer check it out before you purchase. Most of all have fun. Rosie and fam
ineedair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
The shorter models, such as the Bambi 19', have the highest turnover rate (as well as the lower cost). I had a 2006 for a year and made $4k when I sold it - and could have sold it 10 times.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91208 View Post
The shorter models, such as the Bambi 19', have the highest turnover rate (as well as the lower cost). I had a 2006 for a year and made $4k when I sold it - and could have sold it 10 times.
Fliptop is in the UK, so the market may be somewhat different (both in inventory and in which trailers are hot in the used market.) They do have Bambis, but depending on how long the "short time" they'll be living in it might be, a longer option might be good too.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The loss or gain is decided at purchase and realized at the time of sale. A loss or gain at the time of sale depends on purchase price.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
thankyou

Thanks for ur reply's some useful info there. Im thinking of going for a mid size say maybe around 27ft or so. poss importing from the US. I will defiantly access the help of members to inspect any purchase which is a great. I love it already and i haven't got a project yet!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
After you buy one and customize it to suit your needs, you may not WANT to sell it!

The way I see it, one's enjoyment has a certain value as well. I estimate that my leisure time is worth at least as much to me as my work time is to my boss. Every hour I spend in my Airstream is worth at least an hour's after-taxes hourly wage. That's the dollar value I place on my quality of life.

I don't intend to get rid ot my Airstream until I've racked up an enjoyment value at least equal to the purchase price of my Airstream. If I keep it and use it even longer, then I'm turning a profit even if I never sell it!

The point of this is, don't buy an Airstream just because you can sell it for the same price you paid for it. Buy it to have fun in it, and look at the resale value as a bonus.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
ally art

Metarie, I used to live in Glendale drive Metarie, small world, Truth is my partner wrote the first post. The idea was to buy a regular caravan and take it to the Cote d'azur and stay a while, Then i started to consider the deprecation aspect, that's when i thought why not pay a little more for something that lasts and can be worked on and made individual. that when the plan to buy an empty shell was born. I've seen heaps on line that have really inspired me. There more of an art form than a mobile home. The first one i do may well be Jazz/ New Orleans inspired. Cheers Tony.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
After you buy one and customize it to suit your needs, you may not WANT to sell it!
Exactly. The salesman and my father went on about how I could sell mine for as much or more but I now I almost have it how I want it. I believe it that it is all in how much you can get one for rather than model. Certain sizes may be easier to move but if you could find one in good condition that was undervalued and larger it too would be a good move. Use your business sense and you should do well.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #10

1978 25' Tradewind
Thomasville , Georgia
I am curious if there is a site that gives an estimated value for airstreams? I have found a Trailwinds in excellent condition, second owner, everything on it works (lights, inverter, cd player, plumbing stove etc.) original manual, four new tires, two year old ac unit, and all original interior.
What would be max price to offer. The asking price is $6,000.
Thanks for any info.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote