Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #1
Me loves da little twinky

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Portlandish , State of Flux
Send a message via AIM to Rivka
Cool Weighing pricing factors on '71 Caravel soon to be on market

think I'm selling my 71 Caravel and working on sorting out the price, can i get advice?

pros:
last of the tiny trailers till the new ones
in portland, oregon
axles have been replaced
skin is pretty smooth shape

cons:
front glass broken, is boarded up, frame still there
inside is largely taken out and needs to be

i have major medical bills headed my way, so would love to sell, but also need to not sell myself short because the funds are very much needed.
its already hard for me to part with my final airstream.
Rivka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Some truisms regarding vintage Airstreams...

Cream puffs and Expertly redone and polished are >
Restored and perfectly usable now are >
Useable-but-needs-some-work, are >
Needs-work are >
Project-trailer. Sounds like yours is a project trailer.

Costal trailers command more than Southern trailers, which usually command more than mid-west trailers, all other factors being equal. You are in a more favorable market.

Spring and summer buyers will pay more then fall and winter buyers.

Smaller and medium sized trailers >= than larger or very small trailers. Yours is a size in more demand.

<10 years old > +10<20 >+20 until you get to 1950s - early 60s, they can be worth more than 1970s in the same condition.

Check the classifieds here to get an idea of what other similar trailers are going for.

Ultimately, what it is worth is only equal to what someone is willing to pay. So, if you are in no rush, put it up for sale and ask what you think a premium price would be and see if you get any bites. After a month or so, if no bites, lower the price, repeat until it sells.

Airstream trailer owners, especially vintage Airstream trailer owners know that they are not so much owners as stewards of this American icon for a time. Eventually, they know or hope they will pass it on to the next steward who will in turn enjoy it before passing it along to the next steward.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #3
Me loves da little twinky

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Portlandish , State of Flux
Send a message via AIM to Rivka
yep, this is my 3rd vintage twinkie and my thoughts on the trailer match yours, thought i would call mine a "needs work" rather than a project, since i have happily camped in it in its current state.

i see you have its sister

i have been poking around at the sales sites and just don't see nearly anything i can compare it to. guess im just going to have to dust her off and put her on the market. ugg i really can't believe im going to be airstreamless

she was supposed to be my forever stream
Rivka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel