Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Allentown , Pennsylvania
Visual appraisal for 1970 Safari

Hello,
I have used this forum for tons advise over the years as I restored my first Airstream. Thank you so much for providing such an amazing tool. Now that I am finished restoring my single axle 1970 23' Safari, I am curious to what it's resale value is. I have been looking online for a 1970 Overlander for the past year and have seen so many variations in pricing. I am having a hard time putting a price tag on my own. I know what I spent dollar wise and labor wise. But I am looking for an estimate from people within the Airstream community. What better place.

I am looking for ballpark prices/appraisals based on the pictures provided if anyone would like to. Below is its story:

Repaired soft floor near rear. new sub floor, reinforced steel frame, and new insulation.
New pex plumbing system. new water pump. All holding tanks removed and professionally repaired.
New cork engineered hardwood floor.
Sanded and refinished all oak hardwood and replaced oak plywoods.
New power converter and (2) 6 volt deep cycle batteries.
Newer propane furnace.
Newer 6 gallon propane water heater
Original refrigerator works on propane only. Been in operation since I purchased the Airstream in fall of 2011.
Re-arranged from living area to accommodate an office type desk. Living mobile office.
(4) manual leveling jacks.
New electric brakes and hardware
The unit has been fully functioning since I moved into it 2 years ago. Everything works. No leaks. Some winter freeze protection was done. Spent 2 winters so far with no problems. Traveled about 10k miles in it over the past 3 years.

I am not to familiar with forums. I posted an exterior photo. I have others posted in my gallery. Thank you for anyone who throws a price at me!!

Jake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3900.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	616.3 KB
ID:	207543   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0123.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	572.9 KB
ID:	207544  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6776.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	914.3 KB
ID:	207545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6772.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	453.8 KB
ID:	207546  

liviniseasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Livin,

The model you have is a rather rare ( in my opinion) model and I think was only made that one year. The "Safari Special" as it was called had a Caravel rear end and a 0verlander front end making the trailer seam much larger inside than it really is. I also have that same trailer in the double model. It appears you had the twin model and took out one of the benches/beds and the table. That may or may not effect the value to some, for me it would. Though this is a broad range, I would say in the $12,500 range would be a good place/ fair price to start without seeing the trailer in person. Maybe higher/ lower depending on the skin and how good the work is. Also, factor in the price of a new axle since I did not see that on your list. Since your on the left coast, your prices could be higher.

I too am interested in what others think about the price range. Look forward to seeing what others think.

Enjoy,
Old 03-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Is this a side/rear bath like in the Caravel? I've got a '73 and a '77 Safari and neither look like rear end I can see in the photos.

Zep
Old 03-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Allentown , Pennsylvania
Yes, side/rear bath. Shower/toilet combo. I could not see any visual problems with the axle at this point. But I have read about their issues. Thanks for your input Paul.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Well, you might want to keep an eye on craigslist in a couple major areas nearby that might lead to sales for you - Vancouver BC, Seattle, San Francisco. People will travel a good distance to get the right trailer. Of course it's a mix because you will see everything from beat up old trailers that need tons of work, to refinished showpieces with (what I think are) over-optimistic prices.

But I'm going to take a stab at it and say I'd guess you could get something around $25k for it. It looks to be in good condition, it is currently in use and the systems are functioning, the remodel inside looks very nice, and it's a nice size - the smaller trailers are going for better prices every year. If you put that up for sale in the spring and it catches the eye of the right buyer with money in their pocket, I have a feeling it will sell in a hurry.

I have been watching the market the last year because I plan to increase my insurance value on my Caravel (all original, fully functions, with modern appliances), and I'm guessing right now it would cost me $20k to replace it. Since your trailer is a little bigger (but still not too big) and the interior looks nicely modernized, that's where I'm getting the $25k. At least I would start there.

Right now in the Portland Craigslist there's someone trying to get $38k for a 63 Safari with what I think is a pretty unattractive interior remodel - yours would look like a bargain next to that one

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Just an FYI. I sold my restored 71 safari on eBay. Mine was even highly polished. I ended up getting $12,500. So Paul is dead on. He should guess what people weigh or their ages at the county fair! ;-)
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Livin,

The axle is almost 45 years old, I've yet to see one that old that is not bad. Even though the trailer may stand well and the axles still show a down angle, the rubber hardens over time and does not flex the way it should. Though maybe yours is one of the few that has been stored and used in just the right way to keep it in good shape. The great thing about selling a trailer you can always come down but you can't go up on your price. eBay can be a good place to find out average selling prices, do a search on "sold" items, even on eBay there's a big difference between listed and sold.

Good selling,

Enjoy,
Old 03-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Fyi

I sold a completely redone '70 Caravel with new axle and new fridge, paduk counter tops and table, permanent bed, new A/C, and many other small improvements for $13,000.

My '73 mid-bath Sovereign, which will go on sale this summer, is totally unique with all aluminum cabinets forward of the bath, all new furnishings, new axles, catalytic heat, microwave, LED lights, etc has been professionally appraised at $16,000.

Although I agree that it is possible to get over $20K for a vintage Airstream, it's got to be really special.

Zep
Old 03-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Allentown , Pennsylvania
Thanks for all the info. I actually took a wild guess before I added up my folder of receipts and I figured between 12-14k. I agree Zep that it has to be pretty good to get more than 20k. Exotic woods and what not. I built this 23' to be utilitarian. I use it every day and it takes the abuse that I put it through. I would not have gotten the same use from my restored Serro Scotty I had before the Safari.
I think I will look more into the axle this spring. I have all the original owners manual and paperwork from the previous owners. Me being the 3rd. I did not see anything regarding the axle. Now that I think about it, it does "creek" some over large bumps in the road.

thanks again!
Jake
Old 03-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
One point I'd make about the axle: While it likely needs a new one, if you're going to sell the trailer you're NOT likely to get back the full amount you'd spend to replace it, but it would probably help the trailer sell faster and/or be a good negotiating point for you.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Livin,

It's been my understanding that a quick axle test is to jack the trailer up, when doing that you should be able to work the axle about four inches either way.

I know mine though it still had a 22.5 degree down angle, when you jacked the trailer up, the hub did not drop. I then placed another jack under the hub and after about two inches, the whole trailer started lifting up. So what had happened even though the axle looked good, the rubber rods had gotten hard and was not flexing.

Make since?

You can find many, many threads on how to test and axle to see if it's bad.

Enjoy,
Old 03-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Allentown , Pennsylvania
That makes total sense. I admit, when I first started making my Safari road ready, we gave it a little test run to closing weekend at Sun Valley Ski area. I road in the back for a good stretch of highway to see how it felt inside. It was quite smooth.

I worked as a auto mechanic for a few years and I understand how rubber breaks done over the years. I am thinking I may replace them very soon.