Old 06-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
We bought a 1987, and went camping in it immediately. removed the rear twin beds, built in a pillow top queen... will make repairs as needed... Get one, and GO!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
If you are not sure and you need to finance a new one. I would say go with a usable vintage model. You can find out if you like camping and you can always trade up later on. There are tons of nicely priced 60's-70's Airstreams out there that you could start camping in right away. No matter what, it will be a difficult choice. Just dont go nuts until your sure you will like it, because even a newer one you could lose money on if you pay too much.

nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
RVing is a way of life,
Airstreaming takes it to another level.

You do not buy rv's as an investment, they are for travel and fun.

It is no different than the boat owner or the restorer of classic cars.

It is done for the love of it.
The fun, camaraderie with a group of similar minded individuals.

As to your question as to restore or buy a newer unit.
That's your choice.
The easiest option to to buy a newer unit.

My 2 cents
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:21 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Traveling in your trailer means:
  • having a clean bathroom is only 20 feet away even in a traffic jam that hasn't moved for 45 minutes.
  • renting out your clean bathroom for $2 per shot in a traffic jam that hasn't moved for 45 minutes.
  • not having to pack 5 outfits you might need - and leaving one home that you DO need.
  • never having to sleep under another hotel "duvet" that has more "biologicals" than CSI could process in a week.
  • being able to avoid the same gawdawful "breakfast buffet" that every hotel serves.
  • knowing how the coffee maker works without having to think about it.
  • having a hospitality bar that doesn't charge you $9 for a bag of peanuts.
  • being able to have tea that is plain old Lipton's or Tetley's - not some gawdawful herbal stuff that tastes like hay (Chamomile!)
  • sleeping in your own bed every night and taking a nap during the day if you can find a big parking lot or a rest stop.
P.
I have to add:
Being able to travel with my dogs without paying extra fees to bring them along.
Camping in some very remote spots in relative comfort.
Weekends at the relatives without staying in their house on the inflatable matress.
My AS does not look like every other camper in the park.

BTW - this last item is not always a good thing. I bought my AS from a guy that hated being noticed in the camp ground. He didn't like people dropping by to look at the camper. He found this aspect of AS ownership a burden. They do get attention.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for all the info. I think this is telling me I need to go with a slightly newer model that wouldn't require much work. What I can't find in a new model is a big enough trailer for the price I want. So far, 2006 - 2008 models I have been interested in have been anywhere from $37K - $56K. I need to be closer to mid-20s. I don't expect a real return on my investment, but I know that Airstreams hold their value better than most. But if I had a $7K '76 Airstream and put $25K in it to restore/remodel it, am I still left with a $7k trailer? In the eyes of a banker, I think the answer is yes. Meaning, whoever I sold it to couldn't get financing for it. And for me and my situation, I don't plan on keeping the trailer for more than 2 years. Howver, things could change. That's just the plan for right now.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Your best bet IMO to have it "maintain the cost you pay for it, when you go to sell it" is to get an already restored vintage trailer. If it is already restored "well" - either professionally or throughly documented - the seller probably put more $$$ into it than the asking price reflects. Assuming it is well maintained by you as owner, when you go to sell it it won't take as big of a hit as if you had bought a new one that lost value every year or bought newish one before the depreciation has been fully achieved. If you are the one buying cheap and restoring it...as others have said, you aren't likely to get your money back out.

I guess it's a matter of saving or spending $$$ vs having "exactly what you want". We have gone the route of getting exactly what we want - knowing full well we won't re-coup our entire cost of restoration and not regretted it. But after two resto's in 8 years, I would think very hard about doing another myself...maybe it's like childbirth, the further it gets behind you the less painful it is to remember.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
You just need to keep looking. It took me two years to get the trailer I wanted at the price I wanted to pay. You can do this.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
My Mother is trying to sell her 34' Airstream. I believe it's a '91 Classic. She wants about 23K. It was used about 8 months of the year full time until my Dad died in'06. It has only been moved once since then from AZ to Carson City, NV. If your interested PM me and I can get more details for you.

Anne-Marie
Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
"classifieds"

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
Thanks for all the info. I think this is telling me I need to go with a slightly newer model that wouldn't require much work. What I can't find in a new model is a big enough trailer for the price I want. So far, 2006 - 2008 models I have been interested in have been anywhere from $37K - $56K. I need to be closer to mid-20s. I don't expect a real return on my investment, but I know that Airstreams hold their value better than most. But if I had a $7K '76 Airstream and put $25K in it to restore/remodel it, am I still left with a $7k trailer? In the eyes of a banker, I think the answer is yes. Meaning, whoever I sold it to couldn't get financing for it. And for me and my situation, I don't plan on keeping the trailer for more than 2 years. Howver, things could change. That's just the plan for right now.
Check the forum classifieds! Texas, NM and AZ tend to be the happy hunting grounds - no mold or water damage. I do know of a 2002 31 classic for sale here in VA - asking price 35K and it's almost cherry. (But that's a long way to travel and you'd have to tow it back.)

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...ct=7995&cat=16

Here's a 34' tri-axle in TEXAS