Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Gaston , Oregon
Value of this Tradewind

Hi, I'm a new member here and looking to the knowledgebase for advice. An old Airstream Tradewind Land Yacht was discovered while clearing some brush for a property near me that is getting ready to go on the market.

Looking at the pictures, can you give me an estimated value for this trailer if I was to try and purchase it? I have always wanted to fix up a vintage travel trailer. Thanks!

The exterior is very straight and original with no signs of major damage or previous repair. The door is off the hinges currently. The interior is complete but falling apart and needs gutter. There is a thick carpet on the floor and it feels like its soft underneath. Can I assume the wood floor is completely gone and how hard is that to fix? I build old cars for a hobby so I'm not afraid of taking on a large scale project.

JalopyBarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If it's been setting as long as it looks with the door off, you can figure on at least a new floor, new axles, brakes, shocks, wheels, tires, all interior fabrics, cabinetry, probably all appliances, so it looks more like an occupation than something of value to me. But, what do I know, I've never restored an Airstream, and that's the first half of the story.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
It's bound to have frame damage, and you would likely need to remove the interior skins to clean out the insulation and mice nests. This would be what is called a shell off. Use google and search "airforums shell off " and "airforums full Monty". But it's a great year and no body damage. Look how the rivet lines from the front and rear curved segments line up with the top and bottom of the side windows. I hope to get a vintage of this era someday to restore.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
When you ask about value, do you mean how much should he pay you to take this mess away? I would move it for about $400.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It looks like it has been underwater for an extended period. To me that would make the value zero.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:14 PM   #6
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
What a shame! Looks to be a '59 or '60, a wonderful trailer if in good shape. But this will require multiple tens of thousands of dollars, months of full time labor, and all the king's horses and all the king's men. It would be a massive project and I too would estimate it's current value as zero. You would do the property owner a favor to haul it away, but once you own it there would be no way to make it usable without a huge investment.
I'd keep looking and pass this one by.
Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Haul it away for free. Tidy it up, evaluate the needs, and post it for sale or free to this site.

Somebody might be looking to do a shell off resto. If they see this, like it, and take it, you've saved another vintage airstream. I think that's admirable. It's a shame to see this go to a crusher.

But, like others have said, this is not looking like an easy restoration.
Eric
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:10 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Gaston , Oregon
That's too bad to hear that you guys think it's worthless. I agree the cost and labor would be huge to restore it, but if nothing else it could make a cool nice shiny dry storage shed around the barn to keep it from getting crushed. It still looks really cool from the outside.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
The door within the door and the jalousie windows are nice features, but this isn't a project for the faint of heart. If you're inspired then go for it, but this will be a long and expensive effort.

Few are dedicated enough to see something of this magnitude through to fruition. Let us know how this pans out.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:48 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Gaston , Oregon
Yes, especially considering I have no less than 4 other classic projects going right now and I'm just a weekend warrior. Just hard for me to turn a cool classic down.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Ahhh you've showed your true colors, now you've gotta save it just cause you can. Nice Metro!!!

I vote Save the girl not Send to the grave.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:27 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Wow! That's a beaut! We did a shell-off on an almost identical Tradewind, and Kevin is right...that one is not for the faint of heart. If you have a few years' worth of weekends and about $25K to spare, you will have something wonderful!

I wouldn't pay anything for it, but it is worth saving.
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:20 AM   #13
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
It reminds me of a tractor I bought recently.
The seller was asking around to see if he could establish a value on it.
He asked one guy who just asked, "What does it weigh?"
I agree it would be worth hauling home for a closer inspection.
If nothing else, like you said clean it up a little and use it for a storage shed.
They don't have to be road worthy to still be cool.
Or part it out...
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Truth is that's a 1964 Tradewind. The only year they made the door in door flush. With the body as straight as that one is, a good wash and you will have people fighting over it at $1500. Lots of them need all the inside work and are sold for more.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
finally some positivity. I would buy it as cheap as you can get it and start working on it when you can. You have the skills that is a big plus my friend, if you have the time as well you can turn it into something you will be proud of.
A pressure washer will double the value right off...
You have plenty of pages here to read and get a plan together. Don't be fooled by those who just like to give advice however it comes out..

The aluminum alone is worth saving
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Many would have said this was not worth much either... but the second photo shows it after some considerable effort..

The interior was a holy mess...the outside pretty nasty, rust, etc.
Seeing past that is where the creativity comes in. All I have left to do now is enjoy it...which we do often,,(& fix the dented banana wrap in front.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	237387   Click image for larger version

Name:	later.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	237388  

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Don't walk away......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalopyBarn View Post
Yes, especially considering I have no less than 4 other classic projects going right now and I'm just a weekend warrior. Just hard for me to turn a cool classic down.

This trailer would make for a great resto project! You obviously have the skills to bring this trailer back to a useful life of camping and fun, fond memories. I would offer to "haul it away" for a small amount.... Say $200.00 to $400.00 and ask if they have a title laying around for it. If no title it would still make for a great shiny Spare Room or Aluminum Tent. Once you have it in your collection you can take your time cleaning and stripping it out (gutting the interior). Just think how cool an aluminum tent could be on your property even if you never travel in it! Well worth saving this iconic trailer. Should you decide to rebuild it from stem to stern and bring it fully back to roadworthy it would be perfect project to build back up from the ground. Think "Phoenix"! These Vintage shells can really be mirror shined and look grand even not going down the highway! If you pass let folks here know where it is and contact info if you are willing to share it. Someone may be looking for just a project such as this! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I'd sure be willing to give it a go, maybe even for a few hundred bucks. If the body is straight, everything else is reasonably fixable. It probably needs a floor and frame work, but people do that all the time. At a bare minimum, you could part it out.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Henderson , Nevada
I would pay up to $700 for it , if they wont give it to you for free. You will LOVE working and restoring an Airstream !!
Rocker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
I say go for it! Many have paid a lot more than a few hundred bucks for trailers that need as much done to them as this one (new floor, axles, frame, etc.). If you've got welding skills and can rebuild the frame yourself, you can probably get away with bringing this baby back to being usable for few grand in raw materials (of course that cost goes up if you're looking to add all the bells and whistles). The way I see it, if you've got the space, grab it! Even if it just sits at your place it'll be an improvement on where it is now.
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote