Old 05-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahalli View Post
I am a bit surprised that the longer ones are not worth as much- I wonder if this is because they are difficult to move around like you would want to if you were going to use it as an RV? Either way, for me I think livability is more important in that respect than resale value.
The little ones are more valuable, because they are rarer, easier to tow with a wider range of smaller tow vehicles, and will fit into more places - for example, a lot of state parks limit the size of trailer to something like 24ft. But big trailers are better if you're living in them and need the room. It does sound to me like the owner might have seen a smaller trailer going for a premium, and decided his was worth even more because it's bigger, when actually exactly the opposite is true.

If you find one too far away to inspect, you can look on the right hand column of the front page of the forum, and there is a lookup for people who have offered to inspect trailers for others. It's good to have someone inspect it before you waste money on a long trip just to find it's not as good looking in person!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
As requested, the link

1989 Excella - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstream Trailers For Sale

Mike

Old 05-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I concur...this one is overpriced for an "average", unrestored trailer. I would wonder (& check out if I were consedering buying it) if the "new Pergo floor" is covering up any water damaged or rotted floor beneath.

One other thing is that pre-'74 trailers do not have gray water tanks. Not a big deal if you are planning on "staying put" full-timing in an RV park...a slightly bigger inconvenience if you plan on moving around alot, don't have full-hook-ups and/or are boondocking.

Check this Price vs Condition guide to get accquainted with what prices should be....somewhere in the $4100 - $8500 range for this one.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #18
Rookie

2007 23' Safari SE
Helen , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
I concur...this one is overpriced for an "average", unrestored trailer. I would wonder (& check out if I were consedering buying it) if the "new Pergo floor" is covering up any water damaged or rotted floor beneath.

One other thing is that pre-'74 trailers do not have gray water tanks. Not a big deal if you are planning on "staying put" full-timing in an RV park...a slightly bigger inconvenience if you plan on moving around alot, don't have full-hook-ups and/or are boondocking.

Check this Price vs Condition guide to get accquainted with what prices should be....somewhere in the $4100 - $8500 range for this one.

Shari
Great call. Pretty hard to find the things that may be covered up without a trained eye. Try to find someone locally that knows thier way around a AS to give it a look for you.

Part of the Fedex Retiree Club (37 years)
martyhardy1 is offline   Reply With Quote