Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
yorkville , Illinois
Value of an Airstream? I am new any advice on the one listed....

1977 AIRSTREAM SOVEREIGN 31FT Trailer Good Condition Twin Lakes Wi - $5800 (Twin Lakes Wi)

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/rvs/1411535094.html
I hope my link might work, the AS is a 1977 and does not have lots of pictures and seems like no remodeling has been done.

I am curious how do all of you figure out if a price is good or not? this one is kind of close to home, I have not asked the seller any questions yet cause I need to convince hubby first

I would prefer a model where I can place a double or queen bed somewhere but I am flexible to other layouts.

Let me know any ideas....

thanks!
Newbie,
Karen

AD:
HERE IS A 1977 AIRSTREAM LAND YACHT SELLING TO SETTLE ESTATE. 31 FOOT,SLEEPS 4,LARGE PANTRY, CENTRAL AIR, RECENT 8 PLY-TIRES, HEAVY DUTY DEEP CYCLE BATTERY,2 AWNINGS WITH SUNBRELLA MATERIAL, NOT VINYL!! THERE IS A 15 FT AWNING ON WINDOW SIDE AND THE DOOR SIDE AWNING IS 22FT. 2 -100 LBS LP TANKS, THERMOPANE WINDOWS, LARGE 2 WAY 120/GAS FRIG, GAS OVEN AND 4 BURNERS, GAS FURNACE. TWO WAY WATER SYSTEM ALLOWS CITY WATER HOOKUP OR LARGE FRESH WATER TANK WITH WATER FILTER SYSTEM AND 10 GAL HOT WATER HEATER. REAR TRUNK STORAGE, DUAL HOLDING TANKS 20 GAL.AND 10GAL TOILET STORAGE TANK. RADIO/CASSETTE SYSTEM HAS SPEAKERS THROUGHT. RETRACTABLE ROOF TOP ANTENNA WITH SIGNAL AMPLIFIER.

CONDITION: USED NOT NEW OR PERFECT, BUT FOR 34 YEARS OLD IT IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION. HAS SOME SCRATCHES AND LITE WEAR INSIDE AND OUT.ONE KITCHEN CUPBOARD DOOR NEEDS TLC. . PLEASE SEE PICTURES.NO LEAKS KNOWN!! EVERYTHING WORKS AND HAS BEEN TESTED. BUYING AS IS AS SHOWN , NO WARRANTY. BUYER ARRANGES PICK UP!!! THANKS FOR LOOKING AT THIS WONDERFUL AIRSTREAM!! LOCATION IS TWIN LAKES WI. 20 MIN. FROM LAKE GENEVA, 45 MIN. FROM MILWAUKEE 1HR 15MIN FROM CHICAGO IL

1977 AIRSTREAM SOVREIGN LAND YACHT 31FT Trailer Good Condition Currently located in Beautiful Twin Lakes Wisconsin at campground comes w/ deck Anually fees are $1200 per season in ground heated pool
Or you can tow this trailer to your new location tires 3 yrs old ready to be towed to your new location
Old 10-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
yorkville , Illinois
link again
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/rvs/1411535094.html
Old 10-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Looks good from here

I think you have a good looking Airstream there. From what I can see it looks to be in stellar condition. We have some buyer checklists here in the Forums...use the search function located in the blue menu bar above....If you do plan on getting it, move quick to get it winterized...hire someone if nothing else. Estate sales tend to ignore the little upkeep things. Ignoring that could cause big problems. Your saving a bunch by having it so close to your location...by my Texas standards. Keep us advised.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
yorkville , Illinois
Thanks!!!

Now to convince hubby!!!

Karen
Old 10-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Value of an Airstream? I am new any advice on the one listed....

Greetings karendee!

Welcome to the Forums!

There isn't one simple answer to your question when determining the value of a Vintage Airstream . . . Some of the factors that impact the value can include:
  • Overall Length. The shorter coaches often command a premium as they can be towed by a greater variety of tow vehicles and also have something of a fad factor involved.
  • Location of Coach. The geographic location of the coach can have some influence on the price of the coach with those locate near either coast typically carrying higher prices.
  • The Economy. In many parts of the country, prices are currently depressed offering the buyer much more haggling room than in the recent past.
  • More Quantifiable Factors. There are also factors for which you can place a monetary value such as:
    • Axle Replacement. On a vintage coach if this hasn't been done, it will likely be needed at some point in the not too distant future. Even a coach that has been in a semi-permanent park location can have bad axles due to a "set" being established from being parked for an extended period.
    • Appliance Replacement. If the appliances are all original and in proven operable condition the news is mostly good . . . the sad fact is that many of the appliances are beyond their usual service life so will likely need replacement with continued use. . . the furnace would require close inspection because some models of this era had weak heat exchangers that were prone to rust perforation. Any non-functioning applicances detract from the value of the coach.
    • Window Condition. If the coach has any thermo-pane windows, it is quite probable that there will be issues with the seals between the panes of glass . . . while fixable, it is labor intensive and depending upon which window(s) are involved some expensive parts may be required.
    • Floor Condition. Any soft spots or any rotted through areas are red flags for expensive repairs that include at the bare minimum the patching of the bad spot . . . or if too widespread floor replacement. The floor bears very close inspection.
A guide that can help you in establishing a value for a Vintage coach can be found at this link. A check-list that can help you in evaluating the coach can be found at this link.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S. My inclination is to say that the asking price is a little high, but not totally out of the ballpark.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
yorkville , Illinois
Thanks Kevin! I will do my research. I sent the sellers a note asking for more information. I will see what they say. I would like to pay a lot less then they are asking since I know I will need to replace several items anyway. Plus I have a feeling they do not know much about it since it is an estate sale item. Probably the person that owend it was the one that would have known what worked and what did not.

I guess I can make a drive and try it all out myself and see what works anyway. Good for me to start looking at them so I know what I am getting into and to learn. (even if I do not buy)

Karen
Old 10-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Be sure it has a legal TITLE and REGISTRATION
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Karen,

You might take an inspector with you when you go to see it. You can search for one in your area, or the area that the trailer currently resides. Go to the forums main portal page and look on the right side about 1/3 down to find the inspector search info. There is so much that is not seen with the naked eye, so to speak, that a second experienced set of eyes might find areas of concern. Just good insurance.

I wish there were more trailers out west here in Calif. when we were looking. It seems there is more selection and better prices other than here. That's kind of par for the course with most things here in Calif. with the higher cost of living expenses.

Good luck,

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
yorkville , Illinois
thanks for all the help!!

I will try to get an inspector before buying. I also have an engineer for a husband so I will make sure he is there. He is good at checking all kinds of stuff...smart guy thank goodness for me

A title and regristration will also ask for it.

I am hoping to hear something from the sellers. Nothing yet but it has not been that long.

Karen
Old 10-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Value is what it sells for... but here is a fair place to start -- Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values. This is maintained and updated, so does reflect the current used market to some degree.

It's not "restored" unless it has current tires and batteries (both wear out after 5 years max) and been well maintained/in current road use. For a 1977 the restored rating IMO would require that the axles are recently replaced and the air conditioner & 2-way fridge are in good order.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
yorkville , Illinois
Thanks Bob!!!
I will look at your link.
Karen
Old 10-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I would also ask when it was last towed. It might have sat at that spot for quite a while, given the deck that's next to it - you'd want to know if the bearings or brakes have been recently serviced.

Otherwise, that looks like a pretty decent looking trailer at a fair price.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
yorkville , Illinois
thanks Tom. I figured we will need to look into it since it was sitting for a while.

Lots for me to consider for this trailer!

Karen
Old 10-13-2009, 03:13 PM   #14

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
For What It Is Worth....

Value is the buyer's willingness to pay an agreed upon price. But the $5,800 would be in "My Ballpark" range. It looks to be in good condition based of the photographs, and the Zip Dee awnings on both sides are a nice add-on.

There are likely to be some underlying problems, but I would expect this in a 30+ year old trailer. It would be worth your time to look at it in person and poke around to be certain. There are volunteer members here on the forum that may be able to assist you in doing an inspection.

I would expect some spotty floor damage and tired axles as a minimum. The big units don't tend to sell as fast, and if this is an estate that someone is looking to settle I would think that you should have some negotiating power.

I will tell you that I paid more than this for mine, but it was my Dad's so I was motivated to keep it.

Best of Luck and Welcome,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
yorkville , Illinois
thanks Kevin!!