Old 12-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Value of 1983 Excella 32'

I am thinking about purchasing my first airstream trailer and was wondering what this one might be worth. It is located in Oklahoma. Was also wanting to ask what a roof air replacement might cost. Thanks in advance for your help.

current=c104711c.pbwAirstream slideshow by Shagbark - Photobucket

Okiegent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina

Welcome to the forums.

From the pictures, the unit appears to be in good shape.
Make sure to inspect the floor in the bathroom area for floor rot.

A ball park guess estimate of worth maybe 7 to 8k.

A new AC costs around $700.

Don't forget, it may need new tires and wheel bearings will needed to be greased.

Winston Salem, NC
WBCCI 5218,
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Excella information

Hey thanks silverwanabe. Now that's a good looking airstream with the caddy on front. Takes me back to the days when the big body cars would just cruise and float down the road. I appreciate the information. The owner has e-mailed me about the trailer twice since I posted. I wonder if he is excited or if the trailer might have problems he is not disclosing. His e-mail to me is as follows. Hi Tom

I bought this trailer about four-months ago from a guy by me who's new occupation doesn't allow him time to use it anymore. I drive a small pickup, but planned to buy a full-sized pickup to pull this with. I changed my mind and have decided to find a smaller trailer instead. I took his word that everything worked on it when I bought it and it did. I checked everything out on propane, 110-AC, and 12V. I also checked the entire water and sewer systems for leaks or malfunctions. I checked out all the lights and electrical. I checked the entire trailer for rain leaks. Basically, I've checked everything on it.
Here is a list of any defects that I found, and what's been done about it:

* The air conditioner worked great when I ran it earlier this fall. However, I turned it on Wednesday to make sure it would run on the cord I had plugged into the house and it wouldn't start. It made a squealing noise but it wouldn't start up. After I tried it a couple more times it started and worked normally. It was like, 25-degrees here Wednesday and that may have been what was wrong with it. To be on the safe side, I'm knocking $1,000 off of my asking price to replace it in-case it goes out on whomever buys the trailer.
* The tires are fine for trips to the lake, or to hunting property, but probably should be replaced if you are going to take your family on a long trip. They are Michelin's and look good, but if you look at them close you'll see some weather-cracking. They don't leak air or anything and I honestly think they would be fine, but I'm knocking $500 off the asking price to replace them anyway.
*A couple of the little sliding compartment doors inside don't slide as well as the others. They still open and close right, but they are a little harder to slide than the rest.
* Everything else mechanically is in good shape and works properly. Any other flaw, or defect would be cosmetic and hard to describe.

I can however give my overall impression of the trailer from a cosmetic standpoint, but keep in mind that your opinion of "good', or "great" may be different from mine.

IMHO- The inside of the trailer is in very good condition for it's age.
IMHO- The outside of the trailer is in good-very good condition for it's age.
There are a few little dings on it here and there but nothing bad.
The blue stripe on the side is fading and crackly looking up close.
It looks more like a 27-year-old trailer from the outside than it does on the inside.

Your welcome to come see it any time you like. We'll hook up to water, electricity, and light all the pilots so you can see that everything works as I described it.

Just let me know when you want to come and I'll give you directions.

So there is no misunderstanding, I'm now asking $9,000 for the trailer, but I WILL NOT take any less than that for the trailer. Not trying to be rude, just trying to be clear and up front about it.

Thanks for responding, Frank
More from seller:

I checked out the AC on the trailer this evening. All it needed was a squirt of oil on the blower-motor bearings. It comes on smooth now and the low-cool works perfect.
The price is still $9,000 like I told you on the phone.

See you Thursday, Frank
I would like to know anyone's thoughts on this. The man sounds honest.
Okiegent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I think your price is fair based on those photos, if the structure is as good as the rest of it. The only problem is in winter prices are typically lower.
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Springfield , Missouri
Check the floor for soft spots, especially since it looks like the carpet is stained under the kitchen sink and in the bathroom.

Unchecked leaks can cause floor damage.

I know this because the trailer I bought had had leaks and damaged the floor. I ended up replacing the floor.

Now I got a good solid floor in our trailer but it was a lot of work and expense that didn't add any value to the trailer.

Use an icepick to 'stab' the flooring in the suspected areas.
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote