Old 06-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
x

XXXX , XXXX
Jason If you don't buy that trailer please pass on the information to the forums here. One of us for sure would grab it up. You don't realize what a find you have there. It's virtually impossible to find any 50's unit still intact. Most are empty shells by now. I would jump at the chance to get it but unfortunately it's 1800 miles away from me and transport would be too expensive.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Springville , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
A nice thing about the 13 panel trailers is that all the panels, inside and out are flat, no stretch formed panels. Any panel can be cut and replaced, the aluminum is 2024-T3 available at aircraft parts houses and many metal suppliers.

Do you have panels which need to be replaced because of tears or dents. Dents can sometimes be removed.

Bill
You have no idea how happy you made me. I think you have made my entire year! I feel rather sheepish for not having looked at it closer, and seeing the lack of...curveyness ...thanks for the heads up on that one! My biggest concern has been the endcaps. Everything else I know can be done with hard work. And to answer your question, they are dented. Severely dented. About 3 sq ft on the mentioned areas that are completely dimpled. The owner's father bought it as a project back in '64, and had aircraft repair experience. He had started the process of removing the dents. My biggest concern is that when I shine this baby up, you'll be able to see the imperfections. Going back to cars again, even if you do a pretty dang good job of hammering out the dents, unless it's flawless, you WILL see it when you look down the side. Do you know of a guide somewhere on the internet, or a book which details the dent removal process? I'd like to devote money to the frame, interior, systems, and the likes, but I'd still like to get it at least PARTIALLY straightened out. Thanks again Bill!
-Jason
P.S. if you go to this link.... 1953 Airstream pictures by jasonhaymond - Photobucket you can see the dimples I'm talking about. The tear/puncture pictured is on the front-streetside, about a foot from the bottom. Is this a "difficult" piece to replace?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Springville , Utah
Appreciate the reinforcement on how great the trailer is (or rather, will be) wasagachris. And for anyone reading, I definitely plan on posting selling information if I don't buy it. I really like the guy selling it, but beyond that the two of us want to see the trailer in good hands.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Unless the panels are perfect, you will see the imperfections, but then it is almost 60 years old. The challenge on the endcap panels is the bead at the bottom of each panel. If you can find someone who can duplicate that bead you will be OK, but a lot of work on the entire inside and outside. The front lower panel is not difficult, after all it is straight.

Take a look at the threads by InsideOut on both trailers, they have done panel replacement.

You might want to look at my double door Liner thread also. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f334...tml#post879786

You are looking forward to a complete body off frame restoration, inside and out.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhaymond View Post
You have no idea how happy you made me. I think you have made my entire year! I feel rather sheepish for not having looked at it closer, and seeing the lack of...curveyness ...thanks for the heads up on that one! My biggest concern has been the endcaps. Everything else I know can be done with hard work. And to answer your question, they are dented. Severely dented. About 3 sq ft on the mentioned areas that are completely dimpled. The owner's father bought it as a project back in '64, and had aircraft repair experience. He had started the process of removing the dents. My biggest concern is that when I shine this baby up, you'll be able to see the imperfections. Going back to cars again, even if you do a pretty dang good job of hammering out the dents, unless it's flawless, you WILL see it when you look down the side. Do you know of a guide somewhere on the internet, or a book which details the dent removal process? I'd like to devote money to the frame, interior, systems, and the likes, but I'd still like to get it at least PARTIALLY straightened out. Thanks again Bill!
-Jason
P.S. if you go to this link.... 1953 Airstream pictures by jasonhaymond - Photobucket you can see the dimples I'm talking about. The tear/puncture pictured is on the front-streetside, about a foot from the bottom. Is this a "difficult" piece to replace?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Springville , Utah
Sorry Bill, I didn't finish my thought on the location of the puncture entirely. It resides on the front-streetside corner. Right smack on the curve. What is the procedure for fitting the new corner piece? Rivet one side vertically, then work my way right to left on the rivet lines? Or does it have to be pre-bent?
-Jason
Old 06-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I had the entire lower front piece replaced on my Liner. Had it done by MEL in Orange, since at the time it was above my skill level. Again it is a flat piece. Replace the entire thing from vertical seam to vertical seam.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhaymond View Post
Sorry Bill, I didn't finish my thought on the location of the puncture entirely. It resides on the front-streetside corner. Right smack on the curve. What is the procedure for fitting the new corner piece? Rivet one side vertically, then work my way right to left on the rivet lines? Or does it have to be pre-bent?
-Jason
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Springville , Utah
So I fell away from the forums for a couple years. Probably out of sadness when I found that this trailer was gone. It hopefully went to a good home. I know that the seller almost punched someone out when they offered to haul it away for scrap aluminum. Someday I'll have a vintage beauty project though...

I may have convinced my Dad that we need an Airstream now though. Or maybe an Airstream motorhome (Argosy right?). Which is pretty awesome. If I can't convince him to buy the motorhome, or the funding isn't right, I'll be posting all the info for it up on a new thread. Thanks again for all your replies (two years ago )

Hopefully this will go well. I'm now two years older, and hopefully at least a year wiser.

Tags