Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Seven Valleys , Pennsylvania
Value in an interior?

I was given a 1970 23' Safari by my grandfather, who bought it new. He used it every year until 2012 when at 94 years old he decided he was no longer able to stay there by himself at the camp. this trailer has a LOT of history in my family, and will be fully rebuilt so that my wife and i can carry on the traditions. i am fully capable of any work needed, so this will be shell-off project. there is a "budget", but it'll all get done. i plan to start fresh and go 100% custom inside this thing.

so ... my extended family has always wished the layout was different and generally has ZERO attachment to the 1970's based, 1980's redecorated, and 1990's updated interior. is there ANY value to these parts, or just trash? mainly cabinets and benches/couch that are starting to come apart but in generally not bad shape. most mechanical has all been replaced at some point already except for the stove. this thing has a bath tub as well. i plan to keep the nose control central, but pretty sure the one in the bathroom is going away too.

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari

Old 10-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Probably not much value, but there are always the folks that need just a piece or two to fix something in their original interior (tambour doors, gaucho slides, bathroom components, bits of trim, etc.). You might post a classified ad and offer to sell it piece-wise. Might be more hassle than its worth. I think there is another thread with much this same topic--if you search for "value of interior," you may come across it. As I remember, there weren't any high appraisals.

good luck
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
The picture with your grandfather is worth a million bucks...

Have fun with that remodel. Post up a thread and a bunch of pictures!

Hey, I know this is off topic, but I'm seeing it a lot in Airstream pictures. The Zip-Dee awning support arms are connected in the wrong spot. They are supposed to go over the roller pin out on the awning roller. There are some good YouTube videos on how to set up your awning....

Just thought I'd mention it.

-Red
Old 10-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Hey, I know this is off topic, but I'm seeing it a lot in Airstream pictures. The Zip-Dee awning support arms are connected in the wrong spot. They are supposed to go over the roller pin out on the awning roller. There are some good YouTube videos on how to set up your awning....

Just thought I'd mention it.

-Red
is that an 'installed on the trailer' issue, or a 'camp set-up' issue? my mom and aunt had just pulled it out quick while cleaning everything up for me to take home. i haven't touched it in 2 years.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
The picture with your grandfather is worth a million bucks...

-Red
he truly lived the life for a lot of years. even taking part in a caravan trip across China with Airstream back in the (i think) 80's.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Your family are true Airstreamers, that's for sure. Grandpa will be so pleased to see you and your family continue the tradition with a renewed Safari.

Like Red said, and like Red did, start a thread in the Airstream Knowledge Base - Safari - 1970 Safari. Red's trailer is a 74 Sovereign. You will see many threads of others who have renovated or restored these vintage trailers. Read some of the other treads. It's informative, and it's fun. Then you can start your own thread and have a lot of us dweebs follow along and cheer when a phase of the project gets done.

The interior parts aren't worth much. But use care when you disassemble it and take photos. Again like Red said, someone may be very interested in your overhead lockers, or cabinet hardware, or bath sink. Some folks "restore" their Airstream so it looks like it just came out of the factory in 1970 and may need a part. Restoring is painstakingly difficult and costly, but it is sure fun to see them at a rally or show. The rest of us just renovate our trailers with new interior layouts, modern appliances and systems, and then decorate to our liking. Maybe you want to use yours more than show it.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
This looks an awful lot like my 69 Safari airstream. Parts are extremely rare for the 69's. I would recommend listing anything you are getting rid of on the forum classifieds.
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
I see a lot of AS interiors that sit on CL for ever. removing the interior so its still use able is time consuming....but there are some parts that are no longer available. after looking at my gutted '65 I realized how much fun it would be to re-imagine it.
Americans (and AS's) have gotten bigger in the couple generations since ours were built. The technology is vastly superior and with the Airforums you can get so many good ideas to help you along.
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
is that an 'installed on the trailer' issue, or a 'camp set-up' issue? my mom and aunt had just pulled it out quick while cleaning everything up for me to take home. i haven't touched it in 2 years.

It's a set up issue. Watch the videos on YouTube by Zip Dee. It's just where the support arms were placed. The video covers it very well.

-Red
Old 10-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Caravan across China. That would be so stinking AWESOME! I'm hoping to at least caravan across Florida...

Red, setting his goals low, so he doesn't disappoint himself...
Old 10-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #12
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Getting back to what questions the OP asked about the value of interior fittings.

When I renovated my 83 310 turbo diesel this summer I to had to ask myself what was worth keeping, what to update, or get rid of. The way I answered this question was quite simple.......

If I could replace with a lighter better product...It was gone. i.e. I replaced my subfloor plywood with Coosa board, which is 40-45% lighter than plywood and will not rot, mildew, grow fungus, mold or absorb water.

If I couldn't replace with anything lighter....it stayed. i.e. I recovered my paper core aluminum clad gables with brand new 3M Di-noc Weave vinyl.

If I wanted to update something that was equal weight and function....I would update it. i.e. plumbing fixtures, going from brass to chrome.

The biggest reason you see so many Airstream projects for sale with the words "gutted interior, ready for your dream renovation" are that people gutted their interior and threw everything out thinking it was trash........only to find they couldn't build anything lighter and better.

Goodluck
Cheers
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
I would be interested in that spice rack behind the stove. I would also be interested in the stove cover that folds down over the burners if you still have it. PM if you are willing to sell these 2 items! Thanks! Chris
Old 10-10-2014, 05:41 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
the 'rack' is actually a big hole to the closet in the bathroom shelf ... a microwave lived there.

i'm not ready to start parting it out yet, maybe in the spring. i JUST last night finished the new 450sqft deck on the back of my house, and now i have a jeep with no body that must be ready to compete again in the spring.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Getting back to what questions the OP asked about the value of interior fittings.

When I renovated my 83 310 turbo diesel this summer I to had to ask myself what was worth keeping, what to update, or get rid of. The way I answered this question was quite simple.......

If I could replace with a lighter better product...It was gone. i.e. I replaced my subfloor plywood with Coosa board, which is 40-45% lighter than plywood and will not rot, mildew, grow fungus, mold or absorb water.

If I couldn't replace with anything lighter....it stayed. i.e. I recovered my paper core aluminum clad gables with brand new 3M Di-noc Weave vinyl.

If I wanted to update something that was equal weight and function....I would update it. i.e. plumbing fixtures, going from brass to chrome.

The biggest reason you see so many Airstream projects for sale with the words "gutted interior, ready for your dream renovation" are that people gutted their interior and threw everything out thinking it was trash........only to find they couldn't build anything lighter and better.

Goodluck
Cheers
Tony
that is some very good advise to think about. The floor idea is exactly what i needed. a lot of my new plan includes a LOT better use of space, there are many cubic feet of wasted space in and around the mechanical in this thing.