Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
Value for a 25 FB

Is there a better way to come up with a fair value for an Airstream?

NADA is all over the board when it comes to a number.

We sold our 21' AS last week and we are seriously shopping for a 25 FB now. (Yes, the money is literally burning a hole in my pocket! )

I can get a brand new 2014 for $56K (retail is $71K) but I'm having serious reservations about spending that much on something we us once a month at best. Plus being in California we have to add almost 9% for sales tax!

We've seen several 25 footers in the 2005-2007 vintage for sale, but again they are all over the place on pricing. It seems the units in the mid to high $20K range sell quickly and the ones over $30K sit on the market.

Later this week we're going to look at a 2006 25 FB that has been on the market a few months now. It has a little history... It had water damage in the rear so the sub-floor and flooring had to be replaced. (Work was done by the current owner) The owner "thinks" the water was caused by the fantastic fan being left open, however I’ve read several accounts of the wrap around windows leaking in the newer Airstreams? The refrigerator was replaced a year ago with a new Domestic (work done by an AS dealer) and the owner says it will need new batteries as it has sat for over a year. It does not appear to have any upgrades, has no TV or Microwave, but does have a sound system. The tires are original from 2006 and the unit has always been stored outside on a dirt lot.

They are asking $34,000, but again it’s been on the market for months! I’m thinking with it’s history it needs to be in the upper $20’s.

I'm probably opening the floodgates here, but what do the rest of you think is a fair deal?
Cyberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Seems high to me, with the damage.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I believe that is too much for that model with damage. It is a fair price for one in great condition - my opinion after shopping for a while in that year range. I agree that the $56K is a lot of money. It is difficult to cut down a price. For example, mine has some battle scars, mostly from the first owner, one I just had fixed this weekend of my doing. I believe mine is in great condition but not mint and would have to price it accordingly (just a wee bit less though!). It all depends on what the damage is - cosmetic or structural. Cosmetic damage should effect the price but slightly versus structural issues which are more costly and labor intensive - again my opinion. Your price opinion is spot on.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
I guess I should have added it is a 25 FB Safari, not an International.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberous View Post
I guess I should have added it is a 25 FB Safari, not an International.
We sold our 2006 for $37, in pristine condition - in 2013.

Paid $39 in 2007 - list $46.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
We bought our 2006 75th anniversary Safari 25' FB almost exactly a year ago and paid 28k for a trailer that was in very good shape. We had to take care of a few small maintenance items and buy new tires but everything worked just fine and there was only the tiniest bit of filiform in a couple of spots. We think we did pretty well. We searched continually on Airstream classifieds for about four months and were lucky enough to find one about 150 miles from home. We sold our 20 footer (same vintage Safari) in about two weeks the same way. I check Airstream classified from time to time and from what I can tell it seems that the 06-08's in good condition seem to be asking more these days.
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
Thanks for the info Beer Snob.

We did end up buying the unit I described at the beginning of this thread. I think we did pretty good on it. We ended up paying $22,000 for it which I think is reasonable given I put $2700 the second day we owned it. I think we'll end up close to $5000 total to get it up to speed.

We had to put two new batteries right off the bat as they were dead as can be. When I removed the old ones they were dry as a bone!!! Not a drop of water in them.

Once we got power to it we were able to test all of the systems, everything worked the way it should.

The tires were dry rotted and mis-matched, I assume the PO had had a few failures do to the dry rot and just replaced them with whatever was available. The rims were badly curbed and had corrosion on all of them so we just replaced everything with 16" SenDel T02's and Michelin LTX tires.

The mattress was missing so we splurged and bought a Sleep Number RV short Queen bed with radius corners.

The Pergo flooring they used after the water damage was repaired was rough so we have already pulled it out and are working on new flooring options.

It's going to be a bit of a project for a month or two but it will be ready come Spring for camping season!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
Well congrats then! It seems that if you cam bring it up to standards for right about 30k you've done about the same as we did. We really love the 25FB. after having a smaller one it's like inheriting a mansion. I can't imagine being happier with any other floorplan. It works perfectly for us right down to the space for the dogs out of the way under the table. At movie time the table goes down and the whole back end becomes the lounge. Moving from the small fridge to the real deal and having a true "master suite" are the other improvements we really appreciate. And I really don't notice too much of a difference towing. Again...best of luck!
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote