Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
Update it or not?

We have a 1973 Ambassador 29' (25'). Its all original on the outside & inside. Its had no modifications & is more or less road ready in this condition. The only thing Ive changed is to an electric water heater & some minor plumbing issues.

Should we leave it strictly original or can we update the interior some? I'm seriously considering using the DYI Classic Rides Airstream as a guide to our remodel.

I dont want to destroy the value of the trailer, we get alot of positive comments, but also alot of "Aww you have a real project here, when are you going to upgrade?"
L911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Do what you want to do. I have modified ours with fantastic fans, replaced univolt, added a second battery, laminate flooring, etc. but left everything else original. I like things original, but that's me. If you want to remodel, have at it. It's your trailer and it needs to be how you want it for your enjoyment. If you remove original stuff you might want to offer the stuff up for sale to someone doing a restoration.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
tlavergne said it best! "Do what you want to do."
Old 06-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by L911 View Post
We have a 1973 Ambassador 29' (25'). Its all original on the outside & inside. Its had no modifications & is more or less road ready in this condition. The only thing Ive changed is to an electric water heater & some minor plumbing issues.

Should we leave it strictly original or can we update the interior some? I'm seriously considering using the DYI Classic Rides Airstream as a guide to our remodel.

I dont want to destroy the value of the trailer, we get alot of positive comments, but also alot of "Aww you have a real project here, when are you going to upgrade?"
Modify whatever will make "you" enjoy the trailer more.

Electric water heaters are a bad idea, if you ever want to dry camp.

Welcome to Airstreaming and the world of a gazillion questions and answers.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
It's not worth more original!!!!

Personal I think the 70's dark interior looks terrible, but thats just me. I like the light birch or hickory of the new trailers. Mine is remodeled in Birch. I like new stainless fixtures and lights.

But it's up to you. If you like it keep it. If not change it.

If your looking for $$$$$ you would get more if it is redone. The question is; will you get out of it what you put into it????? In the long run yes. it will increase in value. IF you leave it as is it will probably decrease. I would pay more for a fixed up trailer than an original. But then i like camping in mine and don't want to sell it.

10 years from now, if I want to sell it I will get out of it what I have into it. Can't say that with a new AS or SOB.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I too have 1973 {Tradewind} interior that is in great shape. I want to make some changes to make it suit our life style. I have the same question as you. I am going to change out one of the twins to a small booth similar to Tin Pickle did. I will make the other a double. I could work with the plastic original and integrate new laminate colors or some aluminum and work with the brown tones. On the other hand building a new interior out of wood would be the easiest part of a restoration for me. It would take time and a little more money. It does seam a shame to tear out a good interior and in my case I paid for it. My trailer was not a bargain basement deal: I paid for its shape. I love the body style of our vintage and I like the tambour doors. To my eye, a 60’s type wood interior in the 70’s vintage would be sweet. I don’t know but I get the strong impression I would lose the least money if I sold my trailer, which I am not, without doing a thing to it. Once I start putting money into it I will take a bigger loss, I think. However, I bought if for us and I will start fixing it up after my vacation season, I also say, as those above, do what makes you happy. Oh it also gives a chance to open it up a little more, which appeals to me. Good Luck.

Tony

Rogue River, Oregon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG9481.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	161521   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG9484.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	161522  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG9528.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	161523  
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
It's best to make an estimate of what you plan on doing, and what you will have to do, especiall high cost items, such as axles , appliances, metal damage, tires, new clearcoat, etc.

In that way you can better program the repairs and/or replacements based on your budget and time.

If the trailer has been parked for an extended time, you can usually bet that the axle rubber rods have lost their effectiveness.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
When we got ours it was original too and we struggled with that same question. After sitting on that question for a year I decided to make the changes. I bought the trailer to enjoy it and I knew I would enjoy it if it had more color to it and was a little cleaner. So I painted and I put in a new floor. Well almost put in a new floor, I have about 4 square feet to go! I'm also making new curtains and a new accordion door. So I say
GO FOR IT!!!!! Love the journey! Life is an adventure!
meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
use it first

I really feel you should go out and camp in it before you decide anything. In the beginning , I would have bought a microwave etc and now I realize that I prefer dry camping and the microwave would have been a waste of money. You might change your mind on many things over the next few months . Enjoy !!
Beecavetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Some of the "upgrades" and "remodels" I've seen done with 2X4's and particleboard cabinets are worse than an out of date original. I haven't seen any 70's original interiors I'd want, and I haven't seen very many DIY redone interiors I'd want either.

Some of the newer oak interiors with raised panel doors and real wood end panels are pretty nice.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
It is yours do what you want to with it. That particular year and size of trailer is not a super collectible nor super valuable in original condition. We have two, the 1975 is going back together pretty much as original with some hidden upgrades in plumbing and electrical. Our 1981 is going full custom with everything being moved and replaced...if we ever get to it.

Is yours a double or twin bedroom? If you decide to gut it and it happens to be the double I would be interested in purchasing the bed and cabinets from the bedroom area.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
Ive been through this once before with a 79 International AS that i ruined by trying to remodel it & a 74 Argosy that I found gutted in a field. My first instincts are to stay original. But im really tempted to replace the gas appliance, they scare the hell out of me. What do you think about going with the DIY Classic Rides theme? I really like the way they remodeled that trailer.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
Tony S; I really like your original interior, its better than mine, well cleaner anyway!