Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Midwest , Indiana
Trailer Value - 1972 Tradewind

Ran across a 1972 Trade Wind Land Yacht trailer - outside is in excellent/good condition. Some moss on exterior and one small banana wrap dent. It looks like a repair was made on the front corner, because it has the shaved rivet heads, but looks like a professional job was done. Inside is fair with original cabinets and a double bed in the middle of the trailer, and the sofa makes a double bed. Wet bath in rear. Decent tires. We've been told the oven and water heater doesn't work, and air was replaced a couple years ago. Smaller unit was put on roof, and a small patch was done since the original unit was larger. Floor is solid. We will keep the original interior for now, and work on smaller items such as window seals, screens, and drapes. It does not smell musty. This will be our first Airstream purchase. What would be a realistic buying price?
reddog60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
This question has been debated endlessly, and the consensus usually boils down to "it depends."

This detailed article gives a lot of insight into how to price a trailer.

The AC thing sounds a little off... a newer RV air conditioner should need a very similar opening in the roof as a 1972-vintage one, so I don't know where it would need a patch in the roof. Maybe you're talking about the ceiling because the inside unit is smaller than the original?

The condition of the axles is important. Saggy axles don't mean the trailer is worthless, but they do mean it's worth less.

You don't mention the refrigerator at all. If you're looking to do any boondocking, you may want a working propane fridge, and replacements for RV fridges can be $1200 or more.

I'm sure more people will chime in with other pertinent comments. Good hunting!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Midwest , Indiana
1972 TradeWind- Pictures

I've attached a couple pictures of the outside of the trailer. The refrigerator works. As for the air conditioner, it looks like rivets have been put in place where the original air was located (unit was bigger). We know we will have to replace the carpet, drapes, some screens, window seals, stove/oven and the hot water heater. It needs to be given a good cleaning!

How concerned do we need to be with the back sagging, since the bath is in the rear of the trailer? Is this only a concern on longer trailers?

Owner is asking $3,000 and we were wondering if this was a fair price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 1972 Tradewind left side view.jpg
Views:	1047
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	137470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 1972 Tradewind right side view.jpg
Views:	2040
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	137471  

Old 08-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I think $3000 is a little high if the appliances and axles need to be replaced. You don't mention if the furnace works or not, but keep in mind that the furnace for this year was subject to a recall to replace some bad rubber bits. If not dealt with, you could have carbon monoxide issues inside the trailer. So factor in the cost of furnace replacement as well. If it were me, I'd be inclined to deduct the cost of the new appliances from the asking price and then go from there.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
It's got a full-length zip-dee awning, and a front window rock guard, and front lower rock guards- all nice bonuses, on top of a dent-free body- I'd say it's a great deal! Get it before someone else does.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The attachment to the roof was much different on the original unit and what you are seeing is most likely normal. I replaced the AC on my TW and had to fill around 40 holes left behind with Olympic rivets.

The pictures show a good looking body and the trailer has some nice features. The Zipdee awning as well as the segment protectors and rock guard are all pluses. The propane tanks may be aluminum, but not polished.

As far as separation, the shorter trailers did not suffer from this as much because they had less weight to carry on the rear, but it is something you can easily check by standing on the rear bumper. The bumper should not move away from the body when you do this. The condition of the floor is something that you should also check. Many 70s trailers suffered from rotted out floor at the very rear of the trailer because of water seepage from the rear bumper area. Look under the rear sink to determine the floor condition.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
3000.00 and a bit of work and it will be good to go. Axles are easy enough to do at home for about 1500.00 (could be less) the rest can be done a little at a time. Buy it today. It will never be worth what you have in it but it will be fun the whole way.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Midwest , Indiana
Smile 1972 Tradewind Purchased

Well, we decided to purchase the 1972 Tradewind and brought her home today. We had driven past the trailer a few times before we knocked on the owner's door to see if there was any interest in selling. In 2008, we bought a new hybrid travel trailer and sold it about a month ago. We just couldn't shake the aluminitis.

We plan to put in a wood floor. The bathroom sink has a small crack, so we will be looking to replace it. Where is the best place to purchase parts? We are in Indiana.

Thank you all for your comments. We are very excited.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
A lot of great hobby

When I got my 72TW, I looked at what was needed, then spaced it out....you will find a few other items along the way

Mine had to be moved so tires and repacking bearing were first. That was to move it to a place where I could replace the axles.

Furnace- no way was I going to trust a 35 year old light duty heat exchanger. I bought a furnace that was a year old from someone putting in a larger one. The original furnace was recalled for deficiancies.

Charger--univolt and anchor are synonymous, many good multi stage chargers out there. Save the fuse board and reuse it. Get rid of the excess iron (univolt).

Water heater---also the original, I am not real thrilled with the Suburban I have. To do it over I would get an on demand heater.

Parts for rebuilding a gaucho. New coverings on the Gaucho and new curtains.

New power vents (use less juice.

New lights, primarily flourescent, some LED and some original 1141's.

New Plumbing--all pex now

New black water tank....valve seat area was cracked.

Repaired most of the tambour doors one winter....great threads on that
project.

New door and window seals.

Added a rock shield and a new awning.

New LED exterior running and brake lights

Rewired the break away and the 7 pin receptor.

Added a stereo (just an old car AM/FM-tap-cd player.

Fire place (My option as the furnace was only 19000 btu's)

Added second battery

Painted wheels & got baby moons

New Propane regulator (I need to replace that one as I do not like the auto change over feature)

One of the curved front windows (I had "help" in achieving the need for that project)

new signal booster antenna for TV
CB + antenna

New toilet---related to blackwater tank

3 15 gallon blue boys

Extra 30 amp cable

Permanent installed surge-guard, phase guard, voltage guard device.

New AC (I was PO'd--it was only 40 odd years old---how can they build that junk!----replace with high efficiency unit

4 tire covers

A few tubes of vulchem, parabond, and acry-r

A few things I forgot.

But--I turned on the tunes and did a project --usually two at a time, one inside and one outside depending on time of day and temp. I suffered through many miles of wandering down the back roads on my motorcycle to get to the AS so I could do a Saturday project.

It has been an incredible hobby

I am laid up for a few months but next spring--200 watts of solar.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote