Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Trade in or sell 30 FC and truck together?

Hi folks! Thanks to everyone’s advice a couple years ago, we got a 2016 Flying Cloud 30 Twin and a GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali. It’s a fantastic rig. Sadly I was not long after diagnosed with an autoimmune illness that means I have to be back home every 2-3 weeks for a treatment. Our goal was to go on very long trips and we can’t any more.

So we want to downsize to a 25 footer and an SUV.

The Flying Cloud 30 Twin, we are the first owner and it has about 4,000 miles on it. It’s in great condition. Has the double ducted ACs, LEDs, USB, etc.

The 2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali, first owner, is the top of the line with all the tow goodies and has about 19000 miles.

We are moving to Arizona, where we’ll either trade these in separately — or sell them together.

I’d really welcome your advice on pricing and which is better, trade in or sell, together or separately?

Thanks!

Amy
ahoyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Sorry to hear about your situation.

1. Get someone to do an appraisal on your AS and truck.

2. Get a good lawyer to make sure contracts etc are written properly and that the transfer happens legally and professionally. You are talking some big dollars.

3. I think you would be better off selling individually because remember dealers are going to try and buy at wholesale prices. Why give the dealer 20,000? A rig that new and that good of shape will sell quickly; especially in a populated area. Whether you sell them as a package deal or not is up to you and the buyer. I wouldn’t be locked into it one way or the other.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks for the tip! and the condolences, but despite the annoyance of limited travel, I feel so much better that I’m happy to get the diagnosis 😁

Seems like people mostly only get appraisals for restores vintage Airstreams that don’t have a clear market value? Do you think that would really help selling it? I’m guessing the market value is at or just below what’s left on the loan since we made a small down payment only ($70k).

Good idea for the legal contract… I’ve never actually sold a valuable vehicle person to person, that’s a good point.
ahoyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Glad you are feeling better!

My opinion on value:

Kelly Blue Book will give reasonable estimate of value for your truck. In my area used trucks are in high demand, so the estimates KBB gives are a little low.
Find your specific truck here >
https://www.kbb.com/used-pickup-truck/?intent=buy-used

The trailer is a little more difficult. KBB is not accurate in their evaluation of travel trailers, always too low. I look at it like this: first year depreciation from list price ~20%. The first few years after that depreciation ~5% per year. If demand is higher or lower at the location the trailer is listed, adjust for that.

If you transfer title for cash there is no need for a contract other than a vehicle bill of sale, that identifies the buyer and seller, identifies the vehicle, says the vehicle is sold "as is without any guarantee", and is witnessed by a third party (notary public).

one example>
https://www.azdot.gov/docs/default-s...bs/48-2004.pdf
Old 05-04-2019, 08:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You trade it in you will loose big time....sell...out right..either way..separate or together....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Jacksonville Beach , Florida
Just a thought here...we bought a 2005 25 Safari SS back in January had a Tahoe upgraded to a Silverado 2500 HD with in 2 months. We live in Florida and have less terrain than AZ but even a 2-3 week trip that could put you in some elevations where you wish you had some more power. So, may want to keep the truck even for the 25. The difference between hauling with the two is night and day difference! Maybe another SUV would work better than the Tahoe but just wanted to share our experience. It's expensive to re-upgrade and with a Denali that's a nice truck which would make the "pool" even smaller if you wanted something equal without spending alot of money. Hope you continue to feel better. Just my 2cents worth but as a newbie it maybe only 1cents worth.
LoL However, I did alot of research on here before deciding to spend all that money to upgrade and I wouldn't go back to an SUV even though I do small city driving and parking it can be an issue in some areas.
Grace-n-Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Another thought:
When I look at a dealer sales lot the prices of trailers is almost always higher than I see for individual sales. Maybe they can sell it at a better price? Will your local airstream dealer take the trailer on consignment and sell it for you?
You will know what you pay in commission. You save storage costs while waiting. The dealer will handle the bank/new owner/contract/title transfer.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
You are in a unique position to be able to offer TV & trailer as a package. However, I think the market will be very limited. There is so much bias regarding tow vehicle brands
. The whole package will be a large amount of money. Buyer financing would be easier to obtain on each vehicle, individually. My opinion: If you have the time and patience, you will get the best return selling each on your own - no trade-ins to any dealer. Caz.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #9
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
If it was me, I would keep the truck, and go shopping at a 5-rivet dealer (like Colonial Airstream in New Jersey) for your 25 or 26. Find the one you want, and ask Colonial for their best consignment price on your 30. You might lose a grand or two, but a quick, smooth deal allows you to get on with your life.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Is there any way you can afford to just keep the rig as is? It is an awful nice rig and will do short trips just fine. I am bad at buying and selling and do not like to do either. If you loose some money on the current rig selling and then pay a premium for the new, small rig will you really put much cash back into your pocket? Color me as not much of a fan of downsizing unless you have to. And not really one who wants to tow a 25' with a smaller SUV. Now if you just need out of the rig, that is a different matter. Or are going to a 19' or base camp or something.

I have seen a couple of whole rigs sell together. Usually to a fellow WBCCI member in a local club. At what might have been a reduced price. I would think the major market will be for the trailer alone so I might just advertise the truck as available if wanted in the trailer add. And you probably do not want to sell the truck first. So maybe sell the trailer and trade the truck if it comes to that.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:07 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
1966 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Dover , Delaware
Maybe you could consider keeping what you already have. It will cost you more to wind up with less. You will be in more wide open spaces and actually might appreciate what you,already have.
helwigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I do agree with the above post. If you are looking at continuing to camp, but on a shorter basis I wouldn’t sell. You won’t be financially ahead. Especially if buying new. You will take a huge financial hit and you have a great set up.

A new 24’ costs nearly 90,000. If you get it for $75,000 wouldn’t make sense.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
It does sound me that you’ve made your mind up regarding the size you Believe would work best for you in the future. We have a 2018 25 FBT International serenity and love how we fit everywhere. Do you consider the Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi . Pulls the 25 Ft beautifully, Excellent gas mileage. 14 miles to the gallon on average .It is a luxury SUV . Owned the Durango before we ever purchased our1st airstream. Purchased with very low mileage demo from the dealership .
We sold our 22 FT Bambi within a few hours after letting - All family / Friends know that we were selling. They had all watched us for the last year enjoy many Great adventures and were eager to pass on the word to their family ,friends and coworkers. We did not lose a penny on selling it. Being the 1st owner I do think you will get top dollar for your 30 FT Airstream .
I do think the tow vehicle will sell as others have suggested separately quicker. I know that my husband is loyal to Mopar- Dodge and Chrysler products.
Be assured of my prayers on your behalf. I am sure you will be enjoying Airstream adventure’s in the very near future.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:12 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Edgewater Park , New Jersey
I'd keep it too. I'd rather have too big of a rig that you apparently already know how to handle, than take such a big money hit and in the end maybe not liking the smaller rig anyway. First post says it all. "It's a fantastic rig" Plenty of room to wheel it around in Arizona!
FiveOJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Keep the Truck

I would agree. Keep the truck. Our 25 ft feels so much safer behind a 3/4 ton truck. We also live in Florida but on a trip to the factory in the hills of TN and Kentucky that diesel pulled the 25 like nothing was there.

I hope you get good treatment and find a nice place out in AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace-n-Pup View Post
Just a thought here...we bought a 2005 25 Safari SS back in January had a Tahoe upgraded to a Silverado 2500 HD with in 2 months. We live in Florida and have less terrain than AZ but even a 2-3 week trip that could put you in some elevations where you wish you had some more power. So, may want to keep the truck even for the 25. The difference between hauling with the two is night and day difference! Maybe another SUV would work better than the Tahoe but just wanted to share our experience. It's expensive to re-upgrade and with a Denali that's a nice truck which would make the "pool" even smaller if you wanted something equal without spending alot of money. Hope you continue to feel better. Just my 2cents worth but as a newbie it maybe only 1cents worth.
LoL However, I did alot of research on here before deciding to spend all that money to upgrade and I wouldn't go back to an SUV even though I do small city driving and parking it can be an issue in some areas.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:02 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Plainfield , Illinois
2016 30 foot FC and gmc 2500

Is this still available?
Jmhandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:41 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Crystal Beach , Texas
We spend some winters in Arizona since we have family there, so I am familiar with buying and selling in AZ.

One thing to keep in mind is that the state of Arizona does not charge sales tax on personal sales, cars and RVs included. You will see that mentioned in Craigslist ads. In other words, if you do decide to sell both together or separately, your buyer(s) will be "saving" a lot of money compared to buying the exact same rig and TV from a dealer.

I just bought a 30' FC but I am in the market for a TV. I'll be in AZ in late May so let me know if the timing works. If not, best of luck to you and may you find exactly what you are looking for!
200 Ah Lion Energy Batteries & 230 W Zamp Portable Solar
3 Generations Traveling Together
Changing Itinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Paso Robles , California
Keep the truck. We have a 25FC and pulled it with a Chevy 1500 but I didn’t like the power or handling. So now I pull with a GMC 2500 diesel and I couldn’t be happier.
cdanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:18 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Merriam , KS
We bought our 2017 Classic 30Q and the 2014 GMC 2500HD Denali together from their previous owners. Although we feel we paid fair market value for each, the benefit was it was already set up to tow that specific rig with the equalizer hitch. I thought this was a good thing.
DougC27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #20

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Cathedral , California
Sorry to hear that.

I have a 2017 flying cloud FB
with about 2500 miles and I pull with a RAM 4X4
5.7 ltr pickup track(covered).
I am interested for an exchange.
please send me an email :armenistis(dot)nice(at)
gmail(dot)com
Best Regards
Dimitris is offline   Reply With Quote