Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2006, 11:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Too Good of A Deal?

I hope the seller doesn't see this.....I found an 06 30' Classic in Wyoming that only been used twice, garage kept, EXACTLY what I was looking for...I could not have ordered it better myself.

Thing is....it's priced below 05 LOW BLUE BOOK! I'm not complaining! It's a screeeemmmmmming deal and I'm going there with check in hand, fully expecting to bring it home.

I'm guessing he's priced it to sell fast...I hope....

Anyway...any thoughts on what to look out for? Unless it was in a flood or wrecked and fixed, it's the deal of the century.

A little nervous in CA
Mike
Old 05-02-2006, 11:24 PM   #2
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Grats on a good find.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynmike
I hope the seller doesn't see this.....I found an 06 30' Classic in Wyoming that only been used twice, garage kept, EXACTLY what I was looking for...I could not have ordered it better myself.

Thing is....it's priced below 05 LOW BLUE BOOK! I'm not complaining! It's a screeeemmmmmming deal and I'm going there with check in hand, fully expecting to bring it home.

I'm guessing he's priced it to sell fast...I hope....

Anyway...any thoughts on what to look out for? Unless it was in a flood or wrecked and fixed, it's the deal of the century.

A little nervous in CA
Mike
You indicated that it was kept in a garage but there is still the question of whether or not it was winterized properly in the event the garage was unheated. If possible, try to test the water system by hooking it up to a water source or engaging the water pump and tank. There are also some great checklists of other things to look at in other threads in this forum. Here is one to get you started: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ight=checklist

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Lost It!

The seller called with a ridiculous story about a problem with the water system...told me he was taking it off the market because it might have to go back to the factory...said I should keep looking, that it might takes months to resolve the problem.

My opinion, he had someone else tell him they'd pay him a lot more than the asking price and he didn't have the guts to tell me the truth. He had told me he would hold it for me and give me first right of refusal. I think he priced it too low and didn't want to admit it and didn't want to tell me about getting more money. It really sucks because the trailer couldn't have been more perfect if I'd ordered it myself.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
You didn't lose anything

If it smells like a pig...hum guess what its a pig.... You knew it was a stinky deal on your first post. Keep hunting my friend. I looked for a year and got serious about an AS over 1800 miles from home! But it smelled like a pig listen to you gut. We ended up buying our 30' Safari 2 weeks ago, 600 miles from home. I knew it was right deal immediately. Use the force Luke.
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Thanks AZ, I needed that!

Thanks AZ

You're right. I've been fuming about this all day but I've also been looking and already have a couple potential deals that are much closer to home and less money because they're a little older. That guy has embraced the dark side and the bad karma will haunt him.

Mike
Old 05-13-2006, 12:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hey flynmike ,It was a too good to be true for sure and it was.The part to remember is that you did smell somthing fishy,so your on your toes,and who knows if you would have ever made the deal and he pulled his fast one before you drove across country and were really fuming when you got there !!You were saved the nightmare really.Dont worry you will find the right deal ,keep your eyes peeled for it,ll happen .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Hindsight is 20-20

Quote:
I hope the seller doesn't see this.....
Mike...sorry to hear your deal fell thru. There are plenty of "fish" in that proverbial "sea" so don't stress over it. There is lots of good advice in this thread which I won't repeat but I will add something else myself...you might want to consider not posting so many details to the forum until AFTER the deal is made. Perhaps the seller, after he made the verbal agreement with you, did some research online and saw your post. Or perhaps he even looked up the blue book himself. Who knows. The important thing is it sounds like you have "moved on".

Best of luck with your search!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:30 AM   #9
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
you might want to consider not posting so many details to the forum until AFTER the deal is made. Perhaps the seller, after he made the verbal agreement with you, did some research online and saw your post. Or perhaps he even looked up the blue book himself. Who knows. The important thing is it sounds like you have "moved on".

Best of luck with your search!
Yep, loose lips sink Airstreams.
Keep at it Mike. Many of us could tell some horror stories of deals gone bad, uninformed or wicked sellers, day late and dollar short type things, etc.
Mine was an Ebay deal from He11 for which I still carry a non paying bidder remark behind my name.
Your Airstream is out there. And we're all rooting for you.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:56 AM   #10
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Lightbulb Cry and laugh at the same time!

These post are full of wisdom......and myrth! "Loose lips sink Airstreams".....now there's one I won't forget soon! Still laughing. Bill
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:15 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
Keep lookin Mike, I believe that when something doesn't work out it wasn't meant to be. A deal better for you is out there waiting for you just be patient and don't let it get you down when a deal falls through.
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Mike, you will become so good at finding deals that your problem will be where to keep all the Airstreams and how to make a decision which one to take where.

Good Luck
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:23 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Centerville , Utah
30' Classic For Sale

Mike,
I have a like-new 2005 30' SO Classic for sale due to health-related issues. You can see my ad on www.rvonline.com.
Best Regards,
Tom
tomriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:35 AM   #14
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
See, there's another one. Opportunities will abound if you're patient and can walk away from a smelly deal. Its spring/early summer, its the best time of year to be looking.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:04 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
The only mistake I made was not jumping in the truck and heading out the first week end to go get the trailer. But I'm in the Air Force Reserve and that week was my drill week end. I probably could have skipped it but the seller said there was no hurry so I didn't worry about it. This weekend was bad for him so we settled on next week end....well that was my mistake....he had too much time to think about it and other offers. As far as tipping my hand...he knew the blue book value and even said "priced well below blue book" in his add.

I've been a cop for 30+ years and nothing pisses me off more than to be lied to.

I'm over it. I'll find another.

Mike
Old 05-15-2006, 09:23 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
I'm curious

Do you still own the 29' Sovereign posted on your profile? Why are you seeking a new one? Have you considered doin' a fulll Monte on your current AS. Make it just the way you want.. Gut it and polish the outside? You could outsource the work and come out spending a little less money than a new classic and she will be just what you always wanted. Just a thought. I bought a new one only because the floor plan suits our growing family. When I buy my dream AS and it is just me and the little lady traveling the country side it will be the older the AS the better, custom with lots of shine, all modern upgrades and the smell of a brand new interior. Again just my 2.5 cents...
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:45 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Yea, I considered the "Monty" but I really like the wide body, and I've actually found another 30' here in California. It's just like the "other one" but it's an 05 which the only difference is no disc brakes. I really love the floor plan, the vista view windows, the dinet in the wide body is a big plus too. I especially like the bathroom with the shower oposite the head, makes a nice spacious compartment. I don't think I couold do the "Monty" and like it as much as the current 30 footer.

I'll be posting as soon as I make or close the deal...hopefully....I won't be shooting my mouth off this time!

Mike
Old 06-07-2006, 10:23 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
BREA , California
not too sound like everyone else and to repeat what they all said, but it is true, it happened because it wasnt meant to be.
keep looking, follow your gut, and the next time you find a deal, keep it quiet until the deal is sealed.

good luck, and happy hunting
59tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Update!!

Found a very slightly used '05 30' Classic in pristine condition...It's in the driveway and the title is in the safe!

Previous owner had it just over a year and it doesn't look like he used it at all. It has the leather sofabed, big A/C unit, lino in the galley, spare tire, sky lights and so on....I'm extremely happy and heading to Pismo Beach this week end for a week of relaxation and just checking the rig out with plans for a long trip to British Columbia later this summer.

Mike
Old 06-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Update!! Found a very slightly used '05 30' Classic in pristine condition...It's in the driveway and the title is in the safe! Mike
Mike:

Congratulations!! Now you're truly Flyn.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote