Old 05-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Anyone who would put that mess of a patch on a trailer is surely covering up a rotten subfloor with that laminated flooring. Tapping it with a hammer is not going to tell the condition of the subfloor.

Please don't be swayed by the nice looking interior unless you want to take it all out and spend a couple of years rebuilding the parts that really matter, like frame, axles, and subfloor. It's easy to do that cosmetic stuff and make a trailer look far better than it really is.

To me, if you want a restored trailer, you need to at least see full documentation of the work done with plenty of pictures.

Forum Thread: First She Had to Take a Ride on a Boat

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
So how long have you been searching for the perfect Airstream, and how many have you actually walked into?

I sense a certain amount of desperation, in that you are willing to go half way across the country for what looks like marginal deal. I would expect that you can find something at least as good, closer to home if you are patient, especially if you aren't concerned about spending this kind of money.

good luck

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Originally Posted by Jkfalkner View Post
Thoughts on value

Thoughts? Value? Any help would be so appreciated. We want to make the smartest purchase possible....
This should help: Price vs Condition Guide

Read the back-up info there...but even if the trailer was "fully restored", $16,950 is still on the high side...for that price it should have no preceivable issues like those you are metioned. Seems to me, this trailer should be in the $7-10K range that...not saying it isn't a "better than average" trailer, just the price is too high IMO.

Read some of the discounting factors (Table A - Condition) on the linked webpage to get an idea of what the "real" price should be.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I am not a professional restorer - I bought nearly new! But I've personally seen a lot of old Airstream - both "field finds" and "professionally renovated" - and actually really well rebuilt ones.

My very first impression of the wheel well repair is that while it was shaped to be aesthetically acceptable... the person who did it did NOT bother to match the patch to the original ALCLAD aluminum that was used to build the trailer. If you wanted to live with a patch like that and have it look really nice... why not pop an extra money for matching aluminum... and for that matter why not make identical "wheel well covers" on both sides? (Hot Rod the airstream a bit!). The wheel is brand new, which MIGHT mean there is a new axle... but the axle has a date code on it. SHOW ME the date code!

That rusty thing sticking through the aluminum - well it is quite possibly an outrigger that has broken loose from the frame - which says frame failure or at the very least leaks that have rotted the floor near this outrigger.

My in depth review .... I'm an impatient sort, and seeing just what I have seen, I'd walk away without wasting time doing an in depth review! The patch didn't match the aluminum.... what else was kludged together by a well meaning but woefully ignorant (or even slovenly) restorer? Tis a "polished turd" and the deeper you get into it the worse the stink will get. If you've got $16K... buy a new one and make a big downpayment... it will be cheaper over the years than this "perambulating welcome wagon".
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
Well here is what I know......We are so grateful for everybodies feedback and help. So thankful there is a forum like this. Talked with the inspector again tonight and the cracked, rusted section I posted a pic of is about 3 inches. He said it just looks REAL big in that pic. Yes, the patch job will need a redo. We have negotiated heavily over the price and your comments and opinions helped since we are not seasoned Airstream owners : )
Jkfalkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Just my 2 cents....we bought a 1982 30' Avion , in EXCELLENT condition, for $5,500.00 four years ago. Now I realize it is 20 years newer, and NOT an AS, but Avions are pretty good campers. It had all the original equipment (including the shower curtain and bedspreads!),owner's manual with purchase agreement , RO's, etc. I don't think I would drop a chunk of change on that particular AS. I would keep looking. The "right one" is out there just waiting to be found!

David, Debbie, Jenna-Leigh
and our 2 dogs....
Meg and Rudy!
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote