Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Thor?

Last question for the day. I don't know anything about Thor. I don't know when they bought AS. I'm not very impressed with the other offerings I've seen from them. Does anyone know what their reputation is and what their plans are for AS? Or what effect their ownership has had on the quality, fit and finish of the ASs?

I ask because I know in the sailboat market, when Big Behemoth, Inc., buys Little Sailboat Manufacturer, LSM's quality is going to start to suck pretty fast. But that market isn't this market.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thor purchased Airstream from Beatrice in the early 80's and most likely saved Airstream.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
From a conversation with a dealer, I understand that from their initial purchase of Airstream they have continually grown primarily through acquisitions. As the Captain said above, they likely saved Airstream's bacon.
Thor Industries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Beatrice Foods bought Airstream from Wally's estate owners. Beatrice was a major conglomerate that did not run the company that well and lost a lot of money when the market declined. The two partners, who formed Thor to buy Airstream, got it at a bargain price. They had some RV knowledge, since they owned HiLo trailers at that time. Wayne Thompson was the operations guy. I think they did a pretty good job of understanding the market and adjusting the product line up to match the desires of the target demographic. Both Beatrice and Thor benefited from Wally's legend.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Airstream has prospered under Thor. They appear to have left them somewhat alone since the Airstream operation is in Ohio and everything else is in Indiana. I wouldn't have any qualms about buy a brand new Airstream, but I all ready have one and a project Airstream. My wife would kill me if I bought a new one as well. If that happened I wouldn't even get to enjoy it, she would!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I believe that Airstream was a public company before they were purchased by Beatrice. Wally died in 1962? Beatrice bought the company in 1969.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Beatrice Foods bought Airstream from Wally's estate owners. Beatrice was a major conglomerate that did not run the company that well and lost a lot of money when the market declined. The two partners, who formed Thor to buy Airstream, got it at a bargain price. They had some RV knowledge, since they owned HiLo trailers at that time. Wayne Thompson was the operations guy. I think they did a pretty good job of understanding the market and adjusting the product line up to match the desires of the target demographic. Both Beatrice and Thor benefited from Wally's legend.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I spotted the the title of this thread and thought it was about the movie "Thor". I am watching it on TV and they are in an Airstream Travel Trailer.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote