Old 05-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Heath , Texas
Also, the trailers and ads are usually real, but from the past. They just steal the pictures and text from a past ad on the Internet and reuse them. Happens on Craig's too.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Hey, as long as it's roadworthy, it's a great deal. With something like this, I wouldn't be waiting around too long for them to come up with technical details.

If you get it, be sure to roll it past your neighbor down in Boynton Beach!

Old 05-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
not shared , Nebraska
I disagree. Ask seller for exact location of trailer. Then share that a uniformed police officer will show up to verify the vin and run the national check for stolen property. I did this from NE for my MI purchase. MI police did it and certified it for $15.00. See if Nevada police provide this service. Ask for copy of title. Tell seller to mark on title not-negotiable. If it is scam the bull sh.t will flow and you'll have a great belly laugh. Tell the seller a repo company will take possession out of storage (they are bonded) and they will send you the funds. You may get enough actionable info to get law enforcement interested. Please share all the reasons why the seller can't or won't do it. I suspect you will never hear from him or perhaps a reply "SORRY I SOLD IT"
Old 05-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Maybe someone here on the forum my live close by and would go look at it for you.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
I'm well versed in internet scams from learning the hard way and I'm just echoing what everyone else has said: RUN AWAY. In fact DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL THEM AGAIN. Though you wouldn't think it possible if you're not careful you'll be sued for $4000. It's amazing what these scammers are getting away with these days. It's like the criminal who broke into someone's house and fell and injured himself who proceeded to SUE the homeowner for negligence AND won!!

I live by this mantra in internet/eBay/auctions or anything unknown. If it looks to good to be true IT IS!!
Old 05-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Go See It!

Starstruck08, Take a road trip to go see it! What can it hurt? I don't know how many junk TT's I looked at before I bought my '67 Airstream. I also bought a '64 Holiday Rambler later that was a 26 foot trailer and it was soooo heavy my 1/2 Ton PU could barely pull it. I decided while I was up in Michigan that it wasn't worth trying to haul it from SW Michigan to the far western side of Illinois. So we scrapped it in Michigan and removed all the good interior items before going to the scrap yard. I did get more for it than I paid out for it so that was a plus. It rarely happens that way so I considered myself lucky! I don't understand the reason for any comments about a scam here. But, You have to take a chance on wasting gas and just go see it! You may find it is the ONE! Enjoy the road trip and the inspection. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Henderson , North Carolina
I had a run-in with a scammer who claimed to be in the military in Alaska -- Airstream 345LE -- be careful!
Old 05-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Heath , Texas
No doubt in my mind it's a scam. So....just for grins I sent an inquiry and asked some specific 1968ish questions (we have a 67 Overlander btw). Got the exact same email back of course. Another thing you can do is use an extra email address which is what I do for Internet buying or selling initially. I can't remember what Yahoo calls these shadow emails but this way replies go back to your same in box but they never obtain your real one. Of course,once you know someone is legit you can give them real info.

Good luck!
Old 05-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #23
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormom View Post
No doubt in my mind it's a scam. So....just for grins I sent an inquiry and asked some specific 1968ish questions (we have a 67 Overlander btw). Got the exact same email back of course. Another thing you can do is use an extra email address which is what I do for Internet buying or selling initially. I can't remember what Yahoo calls these shadow emails but this way replies go back to your same in box but they never obtain your real one. Of course,once you know someone is legit you can give them real info.

Good luck!
Those are called "disposable email addresses".
Old 05-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #24
Eyrestream

1968 26' Overlander
St. Marys , Ohio
Hey folks, I can say with absolute 100% certainty that this is a scam because this unit is parked in my driveway! I purchased it from a seller in Virginia a couple of months back; someone has obviously pulled the photos from the original Ebay listing.

By the way, if anyone is curious, the pictures tell the story...it's like opening a time capsule from 1968. Almost entirely original, working, and in beautiful condition. I paid a lot more than $4k but it was worth every penny!

Steer clear!
Old 05-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Finally a definitive answer, case closed. Should be but someone will still try to encourage a sale ;o) ;o)

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Heath , Texas
Nice rig, Eyre! Do you feel sort of violated, though? LOL! I've seen people post trailers with pics of their kids or their license plate #s visible. You hate to have to be so protective but you never know.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Heath , Texas
Ps Starstruck once you already have a trailer you suddenly seem to find them everywhere so I will keep an eye out and let you know if I hear of a good one. Funny but WE sort of preferred twins but could only seem to find the double!
Old 05-16-2015, 06:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I flagged the Oodle listing.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote