Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thinking of Selling My Vintage Airstream

OK....this is a tough one to post because I absolutely love my Vintage '66 Safari. However, I have a tremendous itch to move on to a newer Airstream and spend less time fixing up and more time out on the road. I have done a lot to my beloved trailer in the 9 years I have owned her and I am at the point of trying to decide whether I should go to the next step which would mean taking out the interior and doing the floor replacement and other projects that come along with that or sell her and buy a newer or new one. It scares me...I have to be honest.

Any feedback from others that have been in this frame of mind would be appreciated. I would love to hear from both sides....the ones that decided to keep the old trailer and fully fix it up and from the ones that decided to move on to a more recent Airstream.

What to do.....what to do??
Old 07-31-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
After 3 years and way too much money and time invested I sold my 1964 Bambi II and upgraded to a 2006 Safari 23. No regrets at all.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
cranbrook , British Columbia
We have entertained that same thought. But after putting in all that time and effort, we feel unless we buy brand new it would be a step backwards. All trailers require more maintenance than most owners want to do and when it requires a lot of work that's when it time to sell. So we are sticking with our 1975, 22'. This weekend at Glacier National Park there were 4 Internationals and our 22', a nice showing of airstreams compared to other weekends. We had four request from neighbors for tours and a couple of drive by photo stops. I think its better to know what you have than to go with the unknown?
kootenayken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
My two cents.... you know the needs/ requirements / problems with your current trailer. I wouldn't "assume" a new one comes without troubles. Yes, there is warranty....but potential time in a shop? But, I am overly fond of vintage, so you need to consider that!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks for the thoughts folks....I do love the vintage ones and get people knocking on the door to look inside when I am out camping. The lure of a new/newer one still lurks. I agree that they all have challenges that need attention. I am really going to think this through and won't make a decision until I am absolutely sure. I tend to really think things through anyway.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:24 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
olive hill , Kentucky
i know im new here and the wife and i have just bought our first AS.,,its a 63 overlander that needed tlc,,after all its 52yrs old...but after a few months shes almost done,,-----with that being said we are not new to vintage TT,S--and can say we have sold a couple along the way that we miss dearly--cant get those back only wish we had never sold them...---i hope you find out whats right for you,,,i just had to post this because i know how it feels to regret selling.....
....best of luck on whatever you decide...
bap-n-nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:40 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink You asked.....

......just what I would do differently today.

Went thru the same conundrum back in 2004.

We had our 63 22' Safari for 18 Seasons and did enjoy the experience very much.

Just got tired of spending so much time at every Spring get-ready, plus many hours working while everyone else was enjoying the Campsite.

We bought a new 2003 25' Classic in the Fall of 2004.

The first downer....the dealer folded two months later, no other dealers in NYS at the time.
I won't list them here, but many QC and factory build problems with no options for convenient warranty repairs.
JC supplied the parts, I did the work.

If I had to do it over.....I would not buy new.

A gently used, late model, well maintained AS, post depreciation, with all the irritating 'break in' concerns addressed by the original buyer would be the road I would travel now.

Reading current posts, I don't believe QC has improved much since we bought.

Other folks will proffer different advice.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I think you have already made your decision, and just need some reassurance.

You state that you want to "spend less time fixing up and more time out on the road."

I usually ask the newbies who are making their first post and indicate that they have 1 month to completely rebuild a rotting wreck of a vintage trailer, and then intend to full-time and enjoy the infinite freedom of the open road one simple question: do you want to spend your time camping, or working on a trailer?

You have already decided you want to spend your time camping. I emptied my trailer, replaced the floor and fixed the frame, and am still (3 years into the project) working on putting it back together. If your next step is to do the same, then you are staring at many months, if not years of rennovation, and no camping. Yes, its heart breaking to give up a beloved trailer, and sadly, if the floor needs to be replaced then most, if not all, of the stuff you have done to it so far will not add much $ to your selling price and may feel like a complete loss.

Maybe an option would be to get a vintage trailer that has had all the heavy lifting done and is ready to camp that you can pick up for a reasonable price (yet well short of a recent year cost).

Good luck with your decision!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Good thoughts everyone...your answers are helping me out. I am going to think this through one step at at time.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Don't know your financial or space situation, but maybe you should consider keeping the '66 and buy a slightly used one for immediate pleasure of traveling. Take your time and restore/renovate your cherished Safari as time/$$$ permits.

31' 1981 Excella II
2001 F-250 7.3D Crew w/8'bed and Pullrite 180degree

"Ask the Man Who Owns One" (Packard, Of Course)
or
"Ask the Woman who lives with one...or more!" (Gail)
'
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
St Paul , Minnesota
I am sitting in an airstream only park as I write this with our new to us 66 safari acquired this spring and which still needs a lot of "bringing back" despite the considerable amount I have already done. This is our first visit here but I am deeply disturbed at the lack of pre 1970's trailers here. Out of a couple hundred trailers it seems there are four or five pre 1970. I guess I expected more. I am a fan of the old body shape and seeing all the newer ones, they may camp a little better (or not) but at least a little bit of sex appeal is lost (IMHO). It's all preference and its a difficult choice. Maybe keep the old and buy a newer one? it seems some folks on here need a little fleet of them for that very reason.
MiddleWest66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Now that Andy is gone, maybe it is time to let "Aint Bee" go too. (in his accent)
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
MaineStreamer....you have me laughing this morning. Maybe it is time. I would like to keep her and buy a new one as well but don't want to deal with the storage of two units. We have had lots of discussions at the house this weekend weighing the pros and cons. I think I am going to get her ready to sell and buy a newer unit. I have one more trip scheduled in her this month and will think about all the good memories.. I took her from mice, pigeons and ants (literally) to what she is now and am proud of my accomplishments.

The major reason for this decision is that I am getting older and want to spend more time camping.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
OK....this is a tough one to post because I absolutely love my Vintage '66 Safari. However, I have a tremendous itch to move on to a newer Airstream and spend less time fixing up and more time out on the road. I have done a lot to my beloved trailer in the 9 years I have owned her and I am at the point of trying to decide whether I should go to the next step which would mean taking out the interior and doing the floor replacement and other projects that come along with that or sell her and buy a newer or new one. It scares me...I have to be honest.

Any feedback from others that have been in this frame of mind would be appreciated. I would love to hear from both sides....the ones that decided to keep the old trailer and fully fix it up and from the ones that decided to move on to a more recent Airstream.

What to do.....what to do??
I always hesitate to offer my opinion as I feel each individuals circumstances indicate what is best for them individually. I hope you weigh everything and find what will make you the happiest. We've enjoyed the pleasure of 3 "newer" Airstream B190's but have had our '67 Caravel since 1999. It is by no means restored but is in good useable condition. Our single complaint or regret with it is only that it doesn't have a fixed bed but rather the pullout sofa...but that is off subject. We bought ours during a time my wife was going through Cancer so it has sentimental attachment for us...I feel we will likely always be camping in it. Does it require some repairs and upkeep, yes. As some of the other posters so accurately pointed out, so do the newer ones. Do the newer ones cost more? Yes. Do the new ones hold their value? No. I feel the solution is to have someone competent do some of the repairs that you don't want to do (or whatever other reason, can't won't, don't have the place, desire, etc)...bring the camper up to par...but not a total restoration...just the basics...then go from there. If only a portion of the money was put into the vintage trailers that are put into newer ones, the vintage ones would be perfect...or as near perfect as a "compact rolling house" can be. I can certainly relate to your "wanting to camp more and work on Airstream less". I typically work 75 or 80 hours a week...and maintain my older cars as well as the old trailer. I'm also finishing up polishing an older Airstream right now that belongs to someone else. I typically don't "get to do" anything to our Caravel (or our older tow vehicle) until the day before we go camping (about 4 times a year). And each time, I get very frustrated. The things I have to do aren't difficult or rocket science but do require time...time that I usually don't have.
In my opinion, the solution is to seek out someone that is somewhat close to you to be able to do the needed repairs to the extent that you want or can afford...assuming they can do so in your expected amount of time/budget. The end result will be a unit that will be a better investment and that will be much more enjoyed...assuming you like vintage stuff as much as I do.

Personally, as someone who's had as many as 4 campers at once and 12 vehicles between two drivers...I don't think owning two Airstreams is the solution. The more stuff you have, the more there is to maintain and the more there is to go wrong....I know firsthand. I've sold five vehicles int he past two years...and my only regret was that I didn't do it sooner.
Just my thoughts. Good luck in deciding what will ultimately be the best thing for "your" needs. I think we will all respect that, no matter what it is.

G

As I saw written one time:
"I don't always tow a travel trailer, but when I do, I tow an Airstream"...stay thirsty my friends.
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Nobody can make that call but you. We are on our second vintage trailer (current one is an older but larger trailer). In each case, trailer was basically sound (floor, frame, etc) but needed a lot of plumbing, electrical, appliances and cosmetic work which I did myself over the course of 6-8 months and then started camping. Of course, there is always a "to do" list but I suspect that would be true even for a newer unit. The best argument I can advance for vintage trailers (aside from the cool factor of course) is that they do not tend to depreciate the way newer ones do. If anything, vintage trailers tend to slowly appreciate in value.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks for your thoughts Streaminguy and Bambitex. There are some good points made in your posts. I think the main reason that I want to change things up is because a bed would be nice. The gaucho in my current Airstream does make a very comfortable bed so that's not the challenge. I would like to have something more updated with an actual bedroom, so to speak.

I will continue to think this through before making any decisions.

Thanks again to everyone who responded with their thoughts!!
Old 08-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
The main reasons we sold the Bambi II and bought the Flying Cloud was to have a dedicated bed. Making up the gaucho every night and tearing it down every morning got old pretty fast... Current trailer seems to be ideal in size and function for a couple.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Exactly....that's the discussion we have been having. A separate bedroom/sleeping area would be a nice thing to have. Not having to get up and make up the gaucho would be great! Of course, if company isn't coming over...who cares?
Old 08-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
In the case of the Bambi II it had to be converted every day for practical reasons, like being able to open the fridge :-)
Old 08-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
We've dumped lots into our 72 and are considering more upgrades and look at the newer coaches and ask? Do we put $12-15K more into it or bite the bullet (no pun intended) and just eat $40-50K and hope we don't have any repairs new or used.
I think we will do the upgrades. WE don't worry about what happens as we do have it insured for replacement and we get to enjoy it with the little things that do happen due to more lack of use than just breaking.
I'd keep it as there are many memories with it and many more to be made.
SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote