Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
....which is a good thing. There's plenty of money out there, just go make more if you run short, and then immediately spend it on your vintage ( or new) Airstream.....
Or as I look at it - its just paper - you sign this little piece of paper and you get stuff - pretty cool!

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #62
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I just took a look at a my haphazard records. I gave $3,000 for the Trade Wind in late summer 2005. I immeadiately put in a new dometic refer ($550), water heater ($150), furnace ($200), axles, brakes and shocks ($1,012), a new door handle (something like $75?), and a second battery ($50ish I think). Today, I ordered a EF2400is with remote ($1,900). So to date call it $8,000. This spring I will also be adding a zip dee awning, installing a pergo floor, repumbing with pex, and something with the curtians. I'm going to say this will be another $2,500 to $3,000. If I can find a student at the college to help, I may do some pollishing. In the end, I hope to come in under $12K but wont be to unhappy if it stays under $14K. Of course, there is always that retro grey tank that I am worried about........

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
Hi Tim; While I can only speak for myself, with me, the cost is of no deterrent to my lease on wonderful second marriage. COST PLAYS NO ROLE and I will tell you a bittersweet true life's story of faith being good to me, with a happy ending.
On January 28th of 1998 I have lost to breast and bone cancer my Angel wife of 28 years after loosing a six year battle. She was my life and the whole world, despite the fact that she was unable to have children. Our child was a German Sheppard named Sarge who was the smartest working dog ever.
He was killed at age of fifteen and half while working. With a broken heart, I refused to train another dog for this type of work. So, since 1988 we had no dog. In the end of 1996 and in a fourth year of my wife's illness she asked for a large dog and we wound up with 15 lbs of cuddly fur ball which we named Rommel. All thought I have trained him to be a the best behaving pet only, he was my wife's dog, preferring to be touching her constantly. At the age of eight months he was 130 lbs and his favorite time was to pull my wife in a wheelchair on walks on the path by the river. Special harness was made for that purpose into which he could not wait to get in to. Rommel however, would run from any other woman. He could not get close enough to my wife, yet he ran from any other woman. Eighteen months later he was 175 lbs of a sweet King Rottweiler.

Through the last year and half of her illness Rommel was always besides us while I would pick her up from the bed on the morning, while I have bathed her, dressed her and fed her. Always in the car with us with exception of Friday's on chemo day.
I have even resigned from my six figure position as a Chief of the engineering and technical department for world renown engine manufacturer so that I could stay home to take care of her. I was not going to leave her to care by strangers.

In December of 1997 she was declined by the University of Pennsylvania Hospital to be treated any more. We were at the end of the line. During Christmas time in 1997 she has confessed that she lied to me about wanting a dog. Her request was a conn so that I would not be left alone, because she knew Sarge was my best buddy. She also insisted that I promise her that I will re marry because I should not be alone. It must be said here that she was the strongest willed intellectual, I have come to know. Her trust in faith never produced a single tear in my presence during her illness. My reply to her request was negative, knowing that at the age of 52 I had no desire to deal with such involvement. She continued with her request by stating that she will help me to make the right decision. This scared me into oblivion, thinking that she has already picked someone for me. This had me really freaked out as she continued. You do know she said, that Rommel never allowed another woman to touch him, right? This I had to agree too. She said; when you meet a lady to your liking, do not get involved with her, until Rommel accepts her but this must happen within first minute. Imagine the scary chills going down my spine. She continued; unless Rommel accepts, do not bother bringing her back.

Shortly after she passed away, I have forgotten about it because I had no desire to let go of lifetime of fond memories. Eight months later I was by force introduced to a lady who looked very nice with exceptional personality. Eventually I have asked her for a dinner date which she accepted. She was very sympathetic to my loss and her very caring personality which was a form of pleasure to my soul. We started dating strictly as friends, because she parted from a bad marriage and I was not sure if I could ever let go of my past. Such arraignment suited us well. After my first wife' death many Gold digger women visited me at my house and each time Rommel departed. One Saturday night after dinner and before going ballroom dancing, we had an hour and half to kill. Do not know why but something made me offer her to visit my house since she has never been there in our four months of dating.

Walking into the house we found Rommel at his escape stage. I have introduced them while Rommel with his head tilted observed her very intently. I asked her to sit down and offered her a glass of wine which she accepted. Wine was already uncorked in the fridge so it took me less than a minute to return to the living room. Stepping into a living room I was served a shock of my life while spilling the wine on the rug. Rommel was by her with his head laying in her lap while she was petting the side of his neck. She could not help to notice my de lamination and asked what was wrong. Can anyone imagine me telling her the truth at that time? She would have ran out, scarred to death thinking that I belonged in a loony bin. My God I said, his hair will be all over your white dress. Trying to gather my next thoughts
I have gone back to the kitchen to refill the glass. Upon my return I have stood in the door way calling him to come to me. For the first time ever, he refused to move a muscle. Starring at me sideways with the white's of his eye's, he just remained frozen. My louder commands did not help. I have place the glass on the coffee table, grabbed his choker chain in a effort to pull him away. His claws dug into a carpet and he answered with a deep growl.
He was not to be parted with her. At that point my concentration did not exist. She noticed this and could not understand why I was so distraught over it. My dress will clean up she said, do you have a lint roller? Somewhere I replied knowing very well where there was one in every room. Half hour later a retractable leash saved the evening after he was reassured she was joining us for a walk.

Four months later I have designed a engagement ring which was made by my friend jeweler. One night at the ballroom, where everyone knew us, I had proposed to her through a band leader publicly after the first break. One of my employees was hiding in the back room with two dozen long stem roses and a red hanky for me to kneel on. At first, the served shock has forced her to hide her face in her hands and drop the face on the table. Announcement was done with, silence fell that you could hear a pin drop and continued for about thirty seconds after which the question was repeated. All she could do is lift her head off the table and shake her head yes. Following the wedding the truth was disclosed to her about the dog incident. Rommel was born two houses away at the back of her home fifteen miles away from me. Rommel was born 5 days apart from our birthdays which are one day apart.

Over seven years I have experience such marital bliss that there is no cost which would limit me from doing anything that pleases her. And she cannot wait for completion of our 26' Argosy. What is a cost anyway in a face of happiness? So that is my story. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Okay, this post has got me bawling. I have a knot in my throat so big it is stangling me. What a beautiful story.

Myra Winter
mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:34 AM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
Having heard so much about how much trailer restoration ultimately costs, I have to say I thought the final number would be higher. Of course, given my colorful relationship with curved glass, my cost in dollars will most likely exceed that. I'm still convinced it's worth it in the long run. Ever forward! (When I get a bunch of cash).
Oh same here thought it would be about the cost of a new trailer. Be it said you did 95 to 100% of the labor . Seeing the cost I think ill move on with my restoration ..
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:47 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I have come to the conclusion that there are no real costs to complete a restoration. My neighbour is doing the Silver Streak I had and I did the Airstream. We have taken two completely different paths. He's an absolute perfectionist (both he and his wife I should say) and their approach is great, but slower than I have taken, and yet not more costly as they are taking the time to find the best deals on parts where I have been buying the best deals I can find but in a compressed time frame so less wiggle room. There are things I don't mind using that he'd never think of putting in his trailer and vice versa. There's also the options I've put in, and allowed for in future, that he's not.

I think it all comes down to if you set an absolute dollar value you are going to put into the trailer, you can do it by spending the time to find the deals and by modifying your expectations from time to time. And there's also the fact that in my books the restoration is never quite finished. I am constantly looking at how things are working for us and deciding to make subtle changes (okay, and a couple of biggies) but they are being done as we use it and now three years after our original resto work so .......

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #66
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As I see it, some costs are not negotiable. Complete suspension, tires and brakes rebuild plus any electrical that has to do with towing. Only then can one begin to "compare" costs reasonably. Fixing exterior panels, windows and door seals from leaks may be comparable as is the replacement of appliances.

As noted above, the different choices folks make will determine a large part of it, especially as costs are farmed out. Any business use of the trailer will offset these costs, as will, in a different manner, greater versus lesser overall use.

On ours I am determined to find good looking lighting fixtures. These ugly, generic fluorescents detract from the trailer. I have been looking at marine and aviation supply catalogs and, well, it's going to be a big bite. As will custom furniture (dinette and sectional sofa).

Sure, it can be cheaper, but it won't -- for lighting and seating -- be the best use of the space available.

The dollars spent on a restored car really are "wasted" for their is little practical use beyond transporation, its just ego (I had only a thirty year old car to drive for years). A trailer on the other hand can be pulled by a variety of TV's, and is practical in the sense that it is housing. Tornado, fire and storms, if the trailer is safe then one has a place to live and the choice of where to do so. This cannot be said for the others, be they motorcycles, airplanes, boats or cars.

I hope, with this approach, to not let it "hurt" quite so much when the wallet is open.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote