Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Flagstaff , Arizona
Some advice on a few 80s trailers

My wife, 7 month old son, and two heeler mix dogs and I are looking for an airstream to move into. Yes, we're completely nuts. Our budget tops out at 10k, but we'd really like to be in the 6-8k range. I have plenty of truck to pull any airstream (dually F-350 with a Cummins diesel), and have done a lot of reading on full timing.

I am a do it yourselfer. I will do any and all work on whatever we get, from sewing to welding. We're not afraid of doing some work, but don't want to gut one and start over (its tempting, but we want to move into it this summer).

Anyway, there are really only 3 possibilities within a day's drive.

1984 airstream Excella 29ft excellent condition inside and out

I like that this one seems decent shape. He says it has been stored inside and I believe it - that blue stripe is usually weather beaten and if it was stored outside much in Kingman AZ it would be. Seems a little high on price, which is obvious as its been for sale for a month now (at least). Kingman is a remote place, not too many people living within a 2 hour drive, so that might work in my favor.

1983 Airstream Excella 34 - Nevada

This one is nice as its a 34 foot. We like the floorplan pretty well. Seems to have a lot of newer parts, so they maintained it. Also maybe a bit expensive. The extra length would be nice.

1973 Airstream International

Cheaper, probably for a reason. Desperately needs some new cloth inside. A decade older than the other two. Maybe better if it could be had even cheaper, and we could spend some money and time making it what we want. Also in a pretty remote location.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/commentary. We might just buy a 5th wheel but would really rather the quality of the airstream and towability etc.
TWeatherford is offline   Reply With Quote