Old 12-20-2005, 06:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
47WeeWind: "If you are feeling artistic, please sell this 65 trailer to someone who will apprecate it for what is was and can be restored to be once again, and buy a gutted or later decade Airstream to have and use as your personal canvas."
Sergi: Where in that quote did I suggest he start out with a "rotted out abused shell" as you expressly stated? I suggested that if Phil did not want to restore the trailer, he should start out with a gutted trailer. The reason for my suggestion is that a gutted trailer, with a good shell of course, would provide Phil with the cleanest and biggest canvas in which he could express himself without having to first remove an interior he had no use for but which others, in my opinion, would value highly.

Phil's questions arose from the fact he intended to gut and make his recently found trailer modern. But, he realized it was in great shape and could be restored. So being conflicted, he asked for opinions before fixing it up. Specifically, Phil asked if certain proposed actions would increase value, decrease value, or not affect resale value at all.

I was giving Phil my personal, not religious, opinion based on the condition of the trailer as he reported it. If the reported condition of Phil's trailer had been different, then my advice as how to maximize resale value would have been different, too. But I fit my personal opinion advice to his stated facts.

If you have a different opinion how Phil can maximize resale value, give it to him so he can benefit from it. If you disagree with my advice to Phil, list your disagreements and your alternate suggestions. But please don't misrepresent my advice to Phil then criticize your misrepresentation. Thank you.

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I don't think you can go wrong with restoring it to original. That option will always hold it's value. You might find it works just fine for you the way it is. I certainly don't mind the cabinets and drawers in mine. The original designs have a surprising amount of storage, and they did an incredible job in these old vintage trailers of building furniture that is solid as a rock, but feather light. They really are well done, far better than the modern ones, in my opinion.
Aw...that much wiser than her age.

72 Sovereign: L couch, mid-twin, rear-bath
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Dear Fred:

You imply that I have misquoted or misrepresented your view.

I don’t think I have. Your view can be summed up in this exact quote:

“please sell this 65 trailer to someone who will apprecate (sic) it for what is”.

I continue to point out here that there is more than one way to revitalize an Airstream, thereby preserving it.

New members, especially, ought not to be made to feel there is some sacred duty to pursue a particular path, all the way to selling their just acquired jewel.

Finding an old Airstream in great condition should be an equal right for both those that wish to preserve “as is” or modernize.

Whichever way you choose, the better the starting condition the better the chance for a wonderful outcome.

Not to mention money. If you start with more trailer you’ll finish for less money. Either way.

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:57 AM   #18
Round on both ends
1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Why jump on Fred here? He offered an opinion on a difficult subject, and he never painted it as anything else. He started and ended by saying that he was stating his opinion.

I don't have any sort of learned opinion about what those modifications would do to the value of the Airstream, but I have a feeling that when restoration, with functional modernization when desired for convenience or safety, is possible, it should be strongly considered. In other words, if the cabinetry is good condition, restore it. That 65 had nice woodwork in it, and it looks great cleaned up.

Changing the flooring material is the easiest way to lighten up the interior. If the right color is chosen, it will coordinate with the original darker woods, and even enhance the resale value. (Who doesn't like a new floor?)

Some folks might have a little trouble with the idea of "tearing out" the folding couch to replace with a futon, but would have no trouble with the idea of "carefully removing and preserving" it so it could be later reinstalled.

My suggestion is that modernizing the appliances is a good thing to do, but if you can keep the original woodwork and make the the original cabinetry work as they did when new, you will not be hurting the resale value.

I was lucky enough to find a 79 model that's nearly 95% the way it left the factory, and I paid a little on the high end for it. Originality does add value, at least to me.

A 65 model that had been carefully restored, even with modern conveniences and safety features when necessary or desired, would be far more valuable to me than the same model trailer that had the Zolotone overpainted, major interior parts missing, the woodwork whitewashed, the floorplan changed, etc.

I'm with Fred on this. There are only so many of these old coaches around, and some are already so modified that no knowledgeable restorer, enthusiast, or collector would want to take one on. A complete 65 Overlander with all the parts there that is restorable is a diamond, even if it's one a little in the rough. The restored trailer will have more value than the modified trailer. So I guess I do have an opinion on this after all.

1975 Argosy 28 "Argosy"
1979 Excella 500 31 "Betsy"
1992 Lincoln Mk 7 LSC
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:02 PM   #19
1984 34' Limited
Lamar , South Carolina
Depends on how much money & time you have.

tovedude is offline   Reply With Quote