Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

santa fe , New Mexico
Should I pull trigger? - 1960 22' Tailwind

found a 1960 22' tailwind. can get it for $3K or so. needs some serious work, including new windows and electric (friend is an electrician - will be buying him a few beers). rest of exterior looks ok. inside is a total gut job, which is what we're looking for. wife is an architect and wants to dial out the inside with a modern vibe (have 3 kids so we need more space and function than looks). i knows its a lot of work, but i haven't seen too many of these 22' single axle. does the price sound right?
teleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I don't believe there was a tailwind model in 1960. There was a Tradewind, but that was 24'. The 22' trailer in 1960 was a Safari. The trailwind name was used very early after the war, around the late 40s.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
What Richard said. I think that's a lot of money for a gutted trailer needing windows. What condition is the frame and floor in? Hopefully the dry climate has been kind to them.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Post a pcture if you can. If it is from the 40s, it could be a real find and a lot of work. Pipe frames were the standard then, but not for long.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
The standard way to measure the length of an Airstream is from hitch to bumper. If you measure only the coach, you will get a shorter length. That might be some of the confusion. Like Azflycaster said, post pictures. We love pictures!

By needing new windows, do you mean window frames and glass, or just glass?

I agree that $3k sounds high for a gutted project trailer. However, I do like a 1960 Airstream. I think that was a great period for Airstream. Late 50s early 60s are sweet.

I always factor in travel cost to pick it up. If it is a local find that you can inspect, that is a good thing because ebay sellers do not always reveal the flaws, and you have to tow a trailer that may have sat for decades.

It sounds like you have some talented people available to you to help bring this trailer back to life.

Post pics if you can. Its hard to get a price vs value number without seeing the trailer. There are some master craftsmen on this forum that love to help.
wheelerimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

santa fe , New Mexico
you guys are right - its a tradewind 24'. looking at too many airstreams! its about 5 hours from my house. pics attached.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

santa fe , New Mexico
trying pix again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	178805   Click image for larger version

Name:	air1.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	178806  

Click image for larger version

Name:	air3.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	178807  
Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
It looks like the window frames are there from that view. I consider 5 hours to be a short drive in the western US. Check tires etc. I'm guessing that you have seen the trailer in person to inspect the skin for dents. etc. That 1960 is a very cool vintage. $3k might be his asking price. When I bought my 55 Safari, he asked for $3k, I offered him $2k and he couldn't say yes fast enough. Easiest thousand bucks I ever made. Point out the flaws, to him, and test the waters. Calibrate to his reaction.

Truth be said, a trailer rebuild is spendy. I know you are in the desert, but that doesn't guarantee that the subfloor is solid. etc. My point is that you will have to spend some bucks to do the resto, even if you do all the work yourself. Haggling over $500 might be your smallest problem.

That said, I like the size and vintage.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

santa fe , New Mexico
Thanks for the response. He's asking more, actually, but I think I can get it for $3K. I do expect to put several thousand into this (obviously).

Unfortunately, I'd have to do it sight unseen. I could walk away when I get there, but once I drive 5 hours... you know the deal.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Wow - you are just up the road from us - go get it and learn everything you need to know about fixing it up at Vintagetraileracademy.com - held in Albuquerque in May

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Dont do it at 3K, thats a lot for what you are in for trust me. Never buy site unseen!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Wow y'all are finding them cheaper than I have - assume the skin is in decent shape and the window frames are in tact - I would not let it go for less than three if I owned it - most trailers in that range need to be gutted and floor replaced anyway - so part of the job has already been done by gutting it
Rally
restoration rally
Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I think Ken J is correct on the price. 3k for a 1960 traidwind single with a decent shell does not seem to out of the ball park.
However teleguy, be prepared to dump 30k more for re-engineering, re-fabricating and rebuilding the entire rig. Read some of the blogs and figure your expenses. Start with the safety issues first like tires. Even if the ones on it have tread and hold air, they may be old and rotten. Check the date bar on each tire. Do the lights work and do you have the correct pin receptacle for its umbilical plug? weight distribution hitch with sway control? Then the work starts. Axles (they all need them), brakes electric or hydraulic disc? Frame probably rusted and needs repair and bracing, sub-floor probably is moldy or rotten in places and needs replacing, but before you can do that you must first drill out hundreds of 1/8' rivets on the interior skin remove the lower skins to get to the side channel bolts. Then you can lift the shell from the plywood and frame to remove the ply and fix the frame and replace the axle, Replace the freshwater with a larger capacity tank add a grey water tank and new black tank, etc. Then set the shell back down re-blot it in place and on to drilling out hundreds more interior rivets and removing the rest of the skins and take out the end caps now clean and inspect the inside for leaks and re-buck loose exterior rivets and seal the seams from inside. now its time to start all new everything, electrical, insulation, plumbing, LPG lines, Paint, flooring, purchase and install new AC, Heater, water heater, stove, refrigerator, lighting, 12v power supply, solar charge controller, inverter, Batteries, Sound system, design build and install new cabinets, beds and dinette, cushions, covers and curtains. I am sure I have forgotten many things along the way.
I think 3k is a deal
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
With 3 kids you might want to consider a larger trailer. We started with a 26' Overlander which was a bit tight with our 4 kids, however we did manage a two month trip to Alaska in it and lots of other shorter trips. Our kids ranged from 8-13 at the time. Not long after Alaska we bought a 31' Sovereign. As the kids became teenagers there just wasn't enough room in the Overlander.
Just something to think about. You're going to put a lot of time and money into fixing up a trailer, and you want to make sure it suits your needs for as long as possible. I felt just as comfortable towing the Sovereign as the Overlander.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy View Post
found a 1960 22' tailwind. can get it for $3K or so. needs some serious work, including new windows and electric (friend is an electrician - will be buying him a few beers). rest of exterior looks ok. inside is a total gut job, which is what we're looking for. wife is an architect and wants to dial out the inside with a modern vibe (have 3 kids so we need more space and function than looks). i knows its a lot of work, but i haven't seen too many of these 22' single axle. does the price sound right?
In the context of a $30,000 project the purchase price is insignificant compared to the condition. If this is the best trailer you can find that meets your needs then spend the $3k. The large, single-axle, door-in-a-door trailers are rare and are sought after for their clean exterior appearance. That door alone is worth $1500.

I have 3 kids and sometimes wish that I bought a 34' instead of a 30'. No two of my kids will willingly share a double bed so there's always conflict over sleeping arrangements, which we've solved by bringing a tent and having the oldest sleep outside. I realize that you have better weather in Santa Fe; the problem here is that when rain or bugs force us to move inside there's not quite enough room for 5 people to hang out together -- something a 34' would fix.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Completely agree with KenJ. From the one picture of the exterior, the skin appears to be in good shape. If that's true all the way around, and if the window frames are intact, then $3K sounds decent to me. Not sure about the market in New Mexico, but over here in Texico I've seen trailers in worse shape sell for more than that.

I don't think you're necessarily in for a $30K renovation, but you can spend $15K-$20K quickly, even if you're doing all of the work yourself. So it really is just the price of admission.

I have a 26' Overlander, suits my family of 4 (kids age 5 and 3) just fine for now. Eventually I might go bigger.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yea, I think 30k is a bit high, unless you have others doing the work for you - and I agree get the trailer you want - I didn't :-) - I've always wanted a Flying Cloud, could never find one, so I bought an Overlander - never did like the size - totally rebuilt it - now I've found my Flying Cloud and am in the process of building another - sigh......... Again I strongly suggest you invest your first few bucks in the Vintage Trailer Academy held just down the road from you - will save you a BUNCH of money - on the Overlander, I paid 2500 for it back in 2004 - put about $12,000 into it - fast forward to 2012 paid about 4200 for the FC in similar shape and will put about $14,000 (after that I don't want to know :-) into it. In my view, if you even get it for free, its still somewhat a minor expense compared to the whole project - not trying to scare you off - the good thing is you can spread it out over a long period of time so its not so painful and you can still camp in it - what we call an Aluminum tent - as to size, my 2 boys and I did a lot of camping in an 18 footer - worked out great - cozy......
Rally
restoration rally
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
I like what Ken and Utee said. If that is the size, Model, and year that you want, that is very important.

I think that there really is no way to put an exact value on these vintage Airstream finds. So many things factor in, including luck. Last week on Ebay, I watched a 55 Flying Cloud, in original but "as found" condition, sell for $9600. I was very surprised that the bidding went that high for a project trailer.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You can never sell one for what you put into it. You think that totally restored it might be worth $20k to the right buyer and you will spend a ton on it. Unless you want a project, buying one already restored is the way to go. Let the other guy take the loss. I am upside down on my trailer and I have not even started doing much to the inside.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
... and I agree get the trailer you want - I didn't :-) - I've always wanted a Flying Cloud, could never find one, so I bought an Overlander - never did like the size - totally rebuilt it - now I've found my Flying Cloud and am in the process of building another - sigh..............
Ha! I think this happens to a lot of people. My "Forever Trailer" is going to be a 22' Caravanner, once we're back down to just my wife and me. Before then, I may have to go SOTR as an interrim solution. Which is okay, because each of my two kids has already demanded an Airstream of their own when they're old enough to tow.

I've been off the boards for a bit and didn't realize your Overlander was gone, did you sell it to someone on the Forums? Who's the lucky person? And most importantly, do you have a thread for the FC? I enjoy your work-- along with Uwe's 63 for me thread, yours was one that provided me a ton of inspiration in the early parts of my search and restoration.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags