Old 02-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy View Post
found a 1960 22' tailwind. can get it for $3K or so. needs some serious work, including new windows and electric (friend is an electrician - will be buying him a few beers). rest of exterior looks ok. inside is a total gut job, which is what we're looking for. wife is an architect and wants to dial out the inside with a modern vibe (have 3 kids so we need more space and function than looks). i knows its a lot of work, but i haven't seen too many of these 22' single axle. does the price sound right?
In the context of a $30,000 project the purchase price is insignificant compared to the condition. If this is the best trailer you can find that meets your needs then spend the $3k. The large, single-axle, door-in-a-door trailers are rare and are sought after for their clean exterior appearance. That door alone is worth $1500.

I have 3 kids and sometimes wish that I bought a 34' instead of a 30'. No two of my kids will willingly share a double bed so there's always conflict over sleeping arrangements, which we've solved by bringing a tent and having the oldest sleep outside. I realize that you have better weather in Santa Fe; the problem here is that when rain or bugs force us to move inside there's not quite enough room for 5 people to hang out together -- something a 34' would fix.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Completely agree with KenJ. From the one picture of the exterior, the skin appears to be in good shape. If that's true all the way around, and if the window frames are intact, then $3K sounds decent to me. Not sure about the market in New Mexico, but over here in Texico I've seen trailers in worse shape sell for more than that.

I don't think you're necessarily in for a $30K renovation, but you can spend $15K-$20K quickly, even if you're doing all of the work yourself. So it really is just the price of admission.

I have a 26' Overlander, suits my family of 4 (kids age 5 and 3) just fine for now. Eventually I might go bigger.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yea, I think 30k is a bit high, unless you have others doing the work for you - and I agree get the trailer you want - I didn't :-) - I've always wanted a Flying Cloud, could never find one, so I bought an Overlander - never did like the size - totally rebuilt it - now I've found my Flying Cloud and am in the process of building another - sigh......... Again I strongly suggest you invest your first few bucks in the Vintage Trailer Academy held just down the road from you - will save you a BUNCH of money - on the Overlander, I paid 2500 for it back in 2004 - put about $12,000 into it - fast forward to 2012 paid about 4200 for the FC in similar shape and will put about $14,000 (after that I don't want to know :-) into it. In my view, if you even get it for free, its still somewhat a minor expense compared to the whole project - not trying to scare you off - the good thing is you can spread it out over a long period of time so its not so painful and you can still camp in it - what we call an Aluminum tent - as to size, my 2 boys and I did a lot of camping in an 18 footer - worked out great - cozy......
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
I like what Ken and Utee said. If that is the size, Model, and year that you want, that is very important.

I think that there really is no way to put an exact value on these vintage Airstream finds. So many things factor in, including luck. Last week on Ebay, I watched a 55 Flying Cloud, in original but "as found" condition, sell for $9600. I was very surprised that the bidding went that high for a project trailer.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You can never sell one for what you put into it. You think that totally restored it might be worth $20k to the right buyer and you will spend a ton on it. Unless you want a project, buying one already restored is the way to go. Let the other guy take the loss. I am upside down on my trailer and I have not even started doing much to the inside.

Perry
Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
... and I agree get the trailer you want - I didn't :-) - I've always wanted a Flying Cloud, could never find one, so I bought an Overlander - never did like the size - totally rebuilt it - now I've found my Flying Cloud and am in the process of building another - sigh..............
Ha! I think this happens to a lot of people. My "Forever Trailer" is going to be a 22' Caravanner, once we're back down to just my wife and me. Before then, I may have to go SOTR as an interrim solution. Which is okay, because each of my two kids has already demanded an Airstream of their own when they're old enough to tow.

I've been off the boards for a bit and didn't realize your Overlander was gone, did you sell it to someone on the Forums? Who's the lucky person? And most importantly, do you have a thread for the FC? I enjoy your work-- along with Uwe's 63 for me thread, yours was one that provided me a ton of inspiration in the early parts of my search and restoration.

-Marcus
Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

santa fe , New Mexico
all good advice. working on finding someone local go check it out. thanks!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I have 3 kids and sometimes wish that I bought a 34' instead of a 30'... there's not quite enough room for 5 people to hang out together -- something a 34' would fix.
We have three kids, too. But I still can't imagine hauling around a bigger trailer. (Sometimes our 26' is too big, like when we're polishing!) You can make the 22' work. It sure looks like a cute trailer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
I don't think you're necessarily in for a $30K renovation, but you can spend $15K-$20K quickly, even if you're doing all of the work yourself. So it really is just the price of admission.
Totally agree.

Quote:
Ha! I think this happens to a lot of people. My "Forever Trailer" is going to be a 22' Caravanner, once we're back down to just my wife and me. Before then, I may have to go SOTR as an interrim solution.
SOTR? Oh, don't do it, Marcus. Overlanders all the way!

Quote:
I've been off the boards for a bit....
Marcus! You're alive! Welcome back!

my restoration & travel blog:
http://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post

Marcus! You're alive! Welcome back!
Thanks Lynetta, it truly is fantastic to be back. Sometimes the Real World just has a way of interfering with my Aistream time, but I promise at most it will always be temporary. I love aluminum, it's in my soul!

And don't worry, I'm pretty sure at this point my Overlander will always be a part of the faimly. It's just that my 5-yo girl is pretty inistent that when she grows up and moves away, the Overlander is going to be hers. How can I say no to that???

As it turns out, there are some companies willing to pay me for contingency planning, and this is just an extension of that.

-Marcus
Old 03-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #24
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Prices out West must be way lower than in the East. At $3K that trailer would be a steal around here.
If you do pull the trigger and redo the entire interior keep in mind just about everything has a value and someone is probably looking for it. Don't just throw it all away.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags