Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
theSEEKER

1994 25' Excella
granite bay , California
Should I buy this? Fair Price?

Hello, new friends. I'm new here, so bear with me.

We are looking at buying this '93 Excella from a buddy in northern CA. It all looks OK except for this big, fat dent (and the "interesting paint that is trying to mask it). We'll need to clean, re-floor & strip/paint inside, but the systems are all OK

Any opinions on what I should pay for a lightly bashed, '93 25-foot Excella?
I've tried completed ebay and current Craigslist for comps, but am not getting much.

Help! Pretty please! Any opinion helps.

Barb & Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA070048.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	46855  
babsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hve you checked our classifieds? There are several similar trailers there.

You can also search recent e-bay auctions, and AS dealers that have websites. SOme of them list used inventory.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Hey babsz,

Members of this site often list if they are willing to go out and evaluate Travel Trailers for those thinging about making a purchase, in a certain geographical area.

If you do a few minutes of research here, you can find those members in your area who will come out and inspect your prospective purchase for free.

A free unbias opinion of value from knowlegeable people is always good.

One photo on this web site does not give members enough information to set a fair market value for the travel trailer, but the damage dfepicted does not look that bad, depending on the asking / final price.

I would think the trailer you are looking at deserves an evaluation by a knowlageable Airstream person.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:43 PM   #4
theSEEKER

1994 25' Excella
granite bay , California
Keith,

How do I find someone to come inspect it with me? I'm happy to repay their kindness. Do I do a Member Search by city? When I do, I am not sure if the names listed are those who feel confident enough or have the time to take this on. : ) Oh, such a rookie.

Thanks, too, for your note.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Check out this thread - check post #11 for a list.
Dave

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...tor-22956.html
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:02 AM   #6
theSEEKER

1994 25' Excella
granite bay , California
You folk are fabulous. Thank you! What a great community.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by babsz
Hello, new friends. I'm new here, so bear with me.

We are looking at buying this '93 Excella from a buddy in northern CA. It all looks OK except for this big, fat dent (and the "interesting paint that is trying to mask it). We'll need to clean, re-floor & strip/paint inside, but the systems are all OK

Any opinions on what I should pay for a lightly bashed, '93 25-foot Excella?
I've tried completed ebay and current Craigslist for comps, but am not getting much.

Help! Pretty please! Any opinion helps.

Barb & Paul
The replacement quarter panel will cost about $1100.00, plus the undercoating for the panel.

Some owners use the undercoating instead of a "segment" protector.

Check the axles out as well. If they are bad, that will also decrease the value.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:32 AM   #8
theSEEKER

1994 25' Excella
granite bay , California
Andy,

Thanks, friend.

Can I ask? How do I check out an axle? What should I look or listen or feel for? Sheesh, isn't there someone more qualified?
Are you thinking that the dent-causing incident could have hurt an axle?

2 - Do you have any idea what the black stuff might be & the best way to remove it?

I really appreciate your help & advice, Andy. (And from my reading here on the fourms, I'm in good company with that feeling.)

(Oh, and I love your website's music)

Barbara
Old 10-10-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
babsz, the 'black stuff' is a product used to protect the beds of trucks called rhino liner or similar. It is a protectent to prevent small stones and pebbles thrown up by the tow vehicles tires from dinging the front corners of the Airstream. It was not a factory installation, but many owners have done this on their own. I'm afraid it's on there for good. Airstream started installing stainless steel stone guards sometime in the late 90's or around 2000. I'm not sure when they began.

I had a similar dent in my Airstream occur the third weekend after we bought it thanks to a deer. The interior skin will have to be repaired/replaced if it is dented in as well. As Andy said, it's not that big of a deal to replace the exterior panel if the installer knows what he/she is doing. ($1100 to fix body damage on an Airstream is cheap, relatively speacking by the way) The aluminum isn't too expensive so much of the cost will be labor to form the aluminum sheet and properly cut it to shape and proper fit. If you are near Andy, it is the kind of thing his guys do every day. If you aren't near him, some forum members can give you a recommendation for a shop near you that can fix it.

To check the axles is a fairly straight forward visual process. Andy has an excellent explanation on his web site. He gives a great detail of the way the axles are assembled, how they work, and why they go bad. There is a link to it on his opening page, IIRC. If you have any problems, one of the volunteers can help you when they come out to look at the trailer. One thing you will find about this web site, it is soooo successful because the members are so willing to help each other out.

Good luck with your decision.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
I realize that people sell older Airstreams 'as is' for various reasons but for me it would be a deal breaker. If a person wants to sell something and get the best price, cosmetic changes like rugs, etc. seem reasonable for a buyer to do. Dents on the outside though are a different kettle of fish unless you can fix it yourself or have a conveniently-located service provider who can do it.
Muddy Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:41 AM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Speaking of fixing it yourself. This is not a DIY project unless you are pretty skilled at metal fabrication. Don't let the seller tell you it can be pushed out from inside...if it could be, he would have done this already so he can get top dollar. No, the reason this can't be "just pushed out from inside" is two fold: 1) there is an inner skin that would have to be removed and re-riveted into place to gain access to the rear of the outer panel; 2) aluminum stretches when it bends. As much as this is bent, it would wind up with a crease in it when you try to straighten it out. This is something you will want a qualified professional Airstream Certified body shop to repair.

You will also want to take a close look at the appliances. The A/C, 'fridge, furnace, and hot water heater routinely last 25-40 years. But this trailer is approaching 15 years so they could be running close to their service life if they haven't had a good source of adequate voltage on a regular basis. This would impact the electrical appliances. Each of these systems can run $1,000-$1,500 each plus labor to install.

These are the kind of things you need someone with experience to look at.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote