Old 09-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post

As you dig into this, or any 40 year old trailer, there are going to be surprises, and most of that trailer is going to the junk yard. Don't kid yourself on the condition of the axles--they need to be replaced, but you can wait until you are done with the shell-off.

good luck!
Yes, and any tires that are new now will need replacement when you finish and are ready for the road and, hence, add no value now. (They do age out.)

Old 09-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That would be a fair price if it were ready to tow to a campground and use as is.
The trailer pictures doesn't appear to be ready to camp.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Edgewater Park , New Jersey
Here is a AS a friend just sent me. Check it out. I make no warranties or representations of any kind. As always, when you buy used or new for that matter, you should always do your due diligence.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...34488240170434
Old 09-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
In my opinion, it's a matter of managing your own expectations. Here's the perspective I'm speaking from:

3 years ago we bought a 1964 Overlander that was a wreck compared to the one you're looking at. We paid $7200 and drove to Colorado from California to get it. We spent a year and 4 months & over $30K working on her (OK - we're still working on her). We knew we didn't want to do a shell off renovation so we looked for one with the best frame we could find. When we were looking we saw one in Tennessee for $12K that was a clean empty shell which had been through a shell off restoration . In retrospect, I wish we seriously considered that one.

Do I love my beautifully refurbished trailer? Absolutely. Do I wish we had spent $50K on a trailer that was ready to go? Absolutely. Do I regret spending $7200 for the one we got? No. It's been a great experience. We learned a lot. On the flip side, if we had bought a usable one up front we would have a year and 4 months more of great experiences out on the road.

Think about what it is you want to get out of buying an Airstream, then go for it.

P.S.I f you're thinking the refurb will be a profitable endevour, forget about it
Old 09-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Solon , Ohio
You can do it!!

Anything is possible. When others saw my Airstream they Laughed, Judged me and wondered if I had started losing my mind. But 4 months later I had a BEAUTIFUL Airstream. YES! It can be overwhelming but once done it's soooo REWARDING!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9192.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	294984   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9115.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	294985  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8032.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	294986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8652.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	502.4 KB
ID:	294987  

Old 09-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #20
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
It's a challenge, are you up for a challenge? Unless you're looking to by an orphan, move along! Anything is fixable but at what cost and how much time?
There are a ton of nice fixeruppers for less than that! Pass
Old 09-15-2017, 10:25 PM   #21
Currently looking...

Ventura , California
Thank you all for the replies; especially to those who were encouraging.

We are looking for one we can make our own. We are up for the challenge and understand it will be an undertaking. We plan to do all of the labor ourselves. It's probably harder and more expensive than we expect but that's all part of the fun for us. We just want a good deal / starting point. Any other success stories out there?!

We will pass on this trailer and have gleaned a lot from the comments so thank you all again.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzeller View Post

We are looking for one we can make our own. We are up for the challenge and understand it will be an undertaking. We plan to do all of the labor ourselves. It's probably harder and more expensive than we expect but that's all part of the fun for us. We just want a good deal / starting point. Any other success stories out there?!

We will pass on this trailer and have gleaned a lot from the comments so thank you all again.
You've got the right attitude. The right one will come along.

Now you have to keep us informed, though.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
EEK! I see soooo may who dig into this and then bail about 1/2 way and try to recoup the investment. There are many in better shape to give a good cleaning and enjoy right away and then remodel if you insist as you go
Old 09-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzeller View Post

The additional advice I would offer is this anecdote: I spent two years running all over the place kicking tires. I was looking at 70's vintage trailers, and they always had some defect I couldn't live with, or sold for more than I thought it was worth. Granted, I did NOT want to do a shell-off, only spruce it up and go camping. Well, I finally found THE trailer. It was 600 miles away, and when I got there and looked at it, I was inclined to ignore the large dent in the front quarter panel, and the squishy spots in the floor. Now I have been working on a complete rebuild of the trailer for several years. If I had bought one of the first trailers I looked at, it wouldn't have been any more work, and I would have been two years ahead on the project. The money you pay up front for the trailer will be forgotten by the time you are through rebuilding it (unless you get completely taken).

good luck!