Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Question resale: how important is original interior in newer AS?

If we decide to sell our AS in a couple of years, how important will an all original interior be?

We bought a unit with Oatmeal interior, and were provided seat cushion covers and bedspread of the Midnight Sun interior (thanks to Patrick and David at Colonial - I did not care for the Oatmeal with our lifestyle). We carefully packed away the Oatmeal pieces, in case we eventually sell to someone desiring the original interior.

I find myself wanting to make some changes, to flooring, curtains, valences, seat cushion covers, maybe even to some cabinet surfaces or countertops.

How important is it upon resale of an approx. 2 - 3 year old unit that the interior be completely original? Will this vary depending upon whether it is a dealer trade vs. a private sale?

Thanks very much for your input!

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin' Cat View Post
If we decide to sell our AS in a couple of years, how important will an all original interior be?

We bought a unit with Oatmeal interior, and were provided seat cushion covers and bedspread of the Midnight Sun interior (thanks to Patrick and David at Colonial - I did not care for the Oatmeal with our lifestyle). We carefully packed away the Oatmeal pieces, in case we eventually sell to someone desiring the original interior.

I find myself wanting to make some changes, to flooring, curtains, valences, seat cushion covers, maybe even to some cabinet surfaces or countertops.

How important is it upon resale of an approx. 2 - 3 year old unit that the interior be completely original? Will this vary depending upon whether it is a dealer trade vs. a private sale?

Thanks very much for your input!
The resale value, depends on who the buyer may be.

If they like what you did, great. If they don't, then usually they will make a low offer, or move on.

It's almost like decorating your home. Some will like it and some won't.

The real idea, is for you to fix it up for you and your family, so that you can enjoy it. After all, if you can't enjoy it, why own it, or why try to enjoy it, if you don't like it.

Moderation usually works great.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I agree with Andy on this one. If you want inspiration, read your own tagline again.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
_

. , .
hi cats

trading or selling at 2-3 years will be a big hit, regardless. AND LOTS of folks do just that.

flooring is a HUGE issue to redo CORRECTLY...

curtains and cushion covers shouldn't matter IF you keep the originals...

WEAR and ODORS affect resale of newer PREOWNED units.

and any remodeled item that looks home grown will be an issue.

professionally done, some items might not hurt resale...

depending on your tastes and just how personalized the unit becomes...

at that point ya gotta find another buyer who like velvet, black lights, antler lamps and the disco ball.

cheers
2air'

the other issue is the COST of professionally done remodeling on newer units.

you will NOT recover these costs, only a fraction and so now the unit has 2 levels of depreciation....

the oem/new price and the 'upgrade' price...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I'm not an expert, but I think "original" is bigger issue with the vintage trailers. Some people really like the original look. Other owners gut the interior and really redo everything. As with homes, I think most people go in thinking they are going to "tweak." And frankly, it's hard to get one's spouse to agree on interior stuff... let alone a couple of strangers. My general thought is to maximize the enjoyment of your Airstream while you own it. I think how an owner feels about a house, car or trailer comes through... and everybody would rather buy something that has been loved rather than neglected.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
..I think "original" is bigger issue with the vintage trailers...
well this IS a more frequently debated issue here,

and there are dozens of threads on JUST THAT topic.

it's part of the holy wars and written about in the dead 'streams scrolls.

but nearly new units can depreciate at 5-10k$ yearly at the beginning.

which is enough dough to buy several really old trailers, regardless of the interior.

so having a thread on just that topic ($$ impact of NEWER TRAILER INTERIOR MODS) is useful.

lots of folks want to and do tweak newer units, for their own pleasure which should be the point,

and knowing (or seeing pics) what works, has value or is not so wise might help folks considering subtle changes...

in a nearly new/used unit they may not keep for long.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I would believe that if you modified the trailer to do this in a "tasteful" way that would appeal to the larger crowd - ie: modern colors and materials. If I were purchasing your trailer in a few years I would be very happy that you have saved the original materials that could be reinstalled if I didn't like what the previous owner did.
In my case I did not have a choice but to change the interior of my trailer since it is vintage and pretty well worn. If I ever sell my trailer I believe the next owners will be pleased with the materials selected.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I can't speak for others, but when I see a house, vehicle or trailer where the owner has really invested himself in what I can see... I generally think he or she might have cared about the stuff I can't see (electrical, plumbing, running gear.) I just don't see "all original" as a selling point. I don't have any problem with a guy saying, "The OEM fridge was OK, but I bought this nuclear-powered super fridge because I want to make ice in .01 seconds." To me, the thing to do is keep the original stuff and tell a buyer... hey, you can keep the upgrades or you can go back to OEM.

Add: One of the reasons we went vintage AS is because the interior of most the SOB trailers we saw were very "lost in the 70s." I don't want to offend anyone, but my 86-year-old grandmother and I don't share the same aesthetic, i.e., there won't be any needlepoint, dried flowers or 40-year-old cheesy gifts from grandkids (like me) on the walls of our trailer.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote