Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Repossessed Airstream

Hi all. Just had a most interesting conversation. A client of our business, Answer Center, is a used car dealership which occasionally sells RV's. We were chatting about his inventory and why he doesn't concentrate on RV's (space to keep them, turnaournd time to sell, etc.) and I asked him where he acquired the ones he does get. He has three sources:
  1. buyers with remorse - people who realize after a year or less that they never really use the RV's
  2. financially strapped people who are unloading "non-essentials"
  3. repossessions
He has online access to several regional auctions and can EASILY get repo RV's - most of which aren't in horrid shape. He did sort of reinforce the "Airstream Millionaire" myth, saying that they rarely come up as repossessions compared to other brands. Nonetheless, he will look for a specific year model and make on his dealer/auction lists.

I asked if he'd like me to publish his name address and phone on this forum and he said that it's really a regional thing... He suggested that if anyone is looking for a repo/wholesale Airstream, that they contact a car/RV dealer near them. Meanwhile he's taking a look to see if there's anything in the Va. Beach area.

Paula
Old 01-22-2009, 03:50 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
down south , South Carolina
Thanks Paula. I would be interested as well. I'm over by the MMBT.

Earl
Dieselgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
Your car dealer client can always register on the forums, and use the classifieds to help market the used ones that do come in. There are several other dealers that do that.

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
We attend online rv auctions every week, and I have YET to see an Airstream available anywhere! Believe me, I look at all of them in the Mid-South to Mid-America. Tons of 5th wheels available every week, and we buy some of them to sell at great prices. These are car auctions as well...we also have a used highline dealership that sells BMW, Mercedes, Jags, Infiniti, etc.

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think for the most part the reason you don't see a lot of repo Airstream unit is that the initial pricing is so high that it can be priced out of some of the lower market segments. That's not to say even a Streamer couldn't run into a bit of trouble, but this seems to fit into line as to why not a whole lot of repo Airstreams are out there.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Warrenton , Virginia
Paula,

We are in Virginia and looking hard for a used AS. Most that we find are too far away or too expensive. We would be VERY interested in any repo units that your friend may find.

Thanks very much
S&D
Doug Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Darling View Post
Paula,

We are in Virginia and looking hard for a used AS. Most that we find are too far away or too expensive. We would be VERY interested in any repo units that your friend may find.

Thanks very much
S&D
Welcome to the forums.
After nearly five years, I'm pretty sure any repos are long gone, and the dealership itself may no longer be in business.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I've never seen an Airstream repo.

I'm sure it happens occassionally.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Overlander got it right, the dealer retired about 2 years ago.

Here's where to start looking - any RV dealer. Most DON'T have Airstreams - and as a result don't want them on the lot. So, leave a card with each dealer and offer a $100 finders fee. You might get a call.

Check Craigslist - use a crawler and check multiple cities within a 300-500 mile area.

Check local campgrounds - especially the more residential ones.

Check Airstream only campgrounds. Virginia Highland Haven isn't that far from warrenton. Also there's one in NJ - gamble twice in one state!

Go to some WBCCI rallies - they always have some members aging out.

Happy hunting, Paula
Old 09-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Darling View Post
Paula,

Thanks very much
S&D

I'm in VA. If you post what you are looking for, I can keep an eye out. They show up from time to time on the local craigslist. Year range, size range and price range would help to narrow it down. You can also look on the classifieds here too. If you can find one and need help looking it over, post a request for somebody on the forum to help you inspect it.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Delinquency rates on RV's are fairly low. I used to be in banking and folks considered their RV's much like their homes. Repossessions were really a last resort situation. They walk away from cars and trucks and credit cards, but not their RV's. I think in some cases the RV is considered the last resort and it's interesting to look at some of the mobile home parks in the area and see the number of RV's being used as a home rather than the typical double wide. It's usually pretty obvious because these folks tend to have skirts around them in an attempt to minimize freezing.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ya know, sad that some folks are not gifted with cash.... it really is a lousy way to keep score... "...the poor you will always have with you.."

We are blessed!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1963 16' Bambi
1947 22' Liner
Hillpoint , Wisconsin
This reminds me of what my brother told me years ago. He is in banking specifically auto loans and he said he always loved to make loans on Harleys because they very rarely had a problem.
Sprouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I would think there are fewer Airstream (& Harley) reposessions due to their iconic images. The resell ability is easier than most other RV's. If someone gets in trouble after buying an Airstream, they will most likely decide to offer it for sale before it getting so far down the line that it's reposessed - a used but discounted Airstream will sell much faster than an ordinary RV, thus preventing the Repo.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
VA locals - Airstream alerts

There are two older Airstreams stored at Holiday Trav-L Park on General Booth Blvd in Virginia Beach. One looks semi decent the other is in rougher shape. Both have not moved in a year. There's also a 10 meter Avion that I've drooled over - same story.

If you're interested, ask the people at the office to pass on your information to the owners. Who knows, you might get lucky.

Paula