Old 10-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Quick question on 1979 Argosy 22' value

Hey gang,

We're new here, but not new to vintage trailers. We currently have a 1966 Shasta Compact 13' and are looking for something a little bigger as we now have two little girls.

We found a few candidates locally, including this 1979 Argosy Minuet 22'.

I've spoken to the owner and it sounds like the trailer is in pretty good shape, she's fixed a few things and uses it regularly. Known issues are the oven that isn't working (the stove is) and the tires are looking a little old.

She's asking $5500 which seems fair, not a screaming deal, but for a trailer we can buy and use immediately not bad.

I found the inspection sheet here, but does anybody have any quick tips on things to look for. I read somewhere to stand on the rear bumper and look for a gap between the body and frame. Other tricks?

JeweloJalopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
OK, so I learned more than I care to know about axles last night,and am a little scared. The rear separation issues also has me worried.

What other Airstream specific issues do I need to look for? I'm going to keep searching, but there really isn't a good FAQ that I've found yet or list of Airstream common issues. Maybe I'm just missing it but I've been looking.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Don't get too freaked out when reading about axles or separation. It seems few vintage trailers have had them replaced by the time they are resold, although that doesn't mean they don't or won't need them. Rear end separation is probably less likely on a late 70's 22' trailer than you read about more typically on 30' early 70's trailers and so forth.

That said, every investment described in that ad is cosmetic and while nice, doesn't address what you really need to find out.

No leaks? Unfortunately new bamboo flooring will likely cover any bad sub flooring that arises from water.

Perform the back bumper step test to see that the unit moves as the bumper moves.

Poke your head under the trailer to look at the axle arm angle. What to look for found is in the forums.

Test all systems, appliances, outlets, lights.
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #4

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I don't think the trailer shown is a Minuet 22. The window pattern isn't right, and I don't think there would be room for the big dinette space shown in the front, and the 6 and 6.7 metre Minuets were single-axle. I'm pretty sure this is a 24' trailer, a 7.3 metre Minuet.

That means 2 axles to probably replace instead of 1, but axles aren't that expensive.

Go through the Trailer Inspection Checklist in detail. If everything but the oven works fine, the floors are solid everywhere but it needs axles, that's probably a fair price, or at least in the ballpark. Use tires and axles (and anything else you find) as bargaining points on the price, the worst they can do is stick to their offer price.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1957 22' Flying Cloud
portland , Oregon
i saw this yesterday too. sure looks nice. that seems like a decent price since there appears to be little to do.
cbcnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
We've passed for the moment. Between the mistake of the model and the lack of info on the axles, which I have to assume are original and will need replacing before a 2000 mile trip, plus a 2 hour drive, and a few other red flags we decided to wait.

I have a line on a vintage Streamline that we're looking at. Will need a bit more work, but is also aluminum (bonus), and has been stored under cover most of it's life (double bonus). Plus it's half the price, which allows more money for new tires, brakes, etc.

She said she had a second buyer waiting in the wings, which I believe. We might have missed a good deal, but I also realized we were jumping into a $5k purchase way faster than I was comfortable with.

Thanks for the replies, we might still go look at it if it's available. Maybe there wasn't another buyer, we'll see!