Old 08-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I took delivery of my 2012 on 1 November. I ordered it to MY specifications from Out-of-Doors-Mart in Colfax, NC. I have yet to find a single defect after 5 trips. I have "changed out" some components because I wanted to upgrade, not that there was a problem. Lots of potential areas for mischief in an A/S -- just like any complex, and pretty much hand-built piece of equipment. Is it perfect? No. Is anything? No. I feel I did get full value for my investment. After I ordered it I went out to JC to go through the factory tour and left very impressed. Spoke to a number of workers and I got a good feeling from them about working there. I can't imagine how depressing it'd be to buy a brand new trailer with soggy floors and all that goes with it. Order exactly what you want, no furniture kickers will be in it, and it'll be truly YOUR Airstream.

"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
What we are seeing here is the dif between dealers who properly PDI their trailers and those who only want to make a sale and let the customers find the problems. I ave dealt with Sanders for years, no complaints. Jim

1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I would continue to look (don't know why the first dealer had so many water damaged units - seems odd). Others have offered good points, and I would continue your research, then look for and buy the trailer of your dreams. Buying an AS is like buying a car or truck. Your instincts about a dealer are important.

I had learned a lot here on the Forum. In fact I may have learned too much that I almost had buyers remorse. In the end all of the negative things I had read about didn't exist on our trailer, but I still look for them just in case.

I don't know how or when dealers should correct discrepancies, but I too know that my dealer seemed not to do anything until the day we picked up our trailer. I was a little disappointed, but everything worked out well.

Good Luck
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #18
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post

I had learned a lot here on the Forum. In fact I may have learned too much that I almost had buyers remorse. In the end all of the negative things I had read about didn't exist on our trailer, but I still look for them just in case.

Good Luck
That's a good point that I hadn't thought of. Scouring these various Q/C threads would give a good start for a thorough new trailer inspection check list.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
False information, When a unit arrives at our store we do a detailed inspection and report every deficiency we can find the can range from 3 items to 30. There is rarely an argument from Airstream about repairing those items.

We do not always get them fixed before they go on the lot however. If there is a choice between preping a unit for the lot or taking care of a customer the customer wins.

Andrew T
Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
I bought a 2012 AS international 23 - My first one.
On our very first trip, the brake siezed on one side and ruined the tire, wheel and axel.
Later, I noticed that the stove was mounted crookedly so the top did not close very well; nor did the oven door; The hinges on curved doors under the sink kept loosening and failing; The shower curtain unit pulled away from the outside wall; The bar at the top of the shower curtain fell off; I got a leak under the vanity sink which I couldnt reach to repair; about 10 inside rivets have fallen out or are missing. I wrote a nice letter to Airstream expressing my disappintment that I didnt seem to have gotten the quality one would reasonably expect based on the price of the unit, and, thata poor quality reputation would IMHO kill them dwon the road. They replied and told me to see the dealer for warranty issues. I did, and everything was fixed by the dealer (Traveland RV, Surrey BC) without question or hesitation. Pick your dealer carefully!!! Dont get me wrong, we love our AS, but we LOVE our dealer!
"All that is mine, I carry with me." Cicero
RMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Shreveport , Louisiana

Would you elaborate on the water damage you found on this "new" trailer?

Endodoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #22
Currently Looking...
St Pete Beach , Florida
There were two areas of noted water intrusion. The white fabric wall covering was stained pink and started as a small narrow streak at the top edge of a window and spread out wider and wider as you looked down the window trim. We did not notice the large area at first as it was covered by the window treatments.

On the opposite side of the coach, there was also some pink staining (very small amount) of the wall covering directly under a window.

The sales person tried to pass off the small stained areas as glue seeping through the wall covering and that it would be cleaned prior to delivery. The sales person actually found the large area of stain and stated that it looked like a water leak caused the staining and that he would "pull a ticket" so it could be repaired.

paul541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Airstream seems to make a big deal of their method of leak testing each and every unit before it leaves JC. Why then do leaks seem to be the number one issue that new buyers seem to be having or at least reporting the most?
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member
2002 30' Classic S/O
1989 25' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Missouri Valley , Iowa
We were able to take the factory tour last Monday, Aug 13. My wife and another interested couple were with me. The tour was very, very interesting. QC appeared very good except for one of the first steps we saw. A worker was sweeping small aluminum scraps of some sort off the assembly floor. When the wooden floor assembly was finished on the workbench it was drug off and dropped on the floor before the scraps were all swept up!! Obviously some scraps were stuck on the bottom of the wood. My friend, who is a very experienced tool and machine guy, just looked at each other in amazement. Its not likely this will throw the thing out of square but those scraps can affect the paint on the frame and may be a source of rusting. This may / may not show up, but it the little things that count. Aside from that the tour and guide were great
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
When I bought our trailer new 3 years ago, I asked why things were not fixed prior to me inspecting the trailer. The dealer's service manager told me that Airstream had told them not to repair anything until the customer asked them to. He said if they didn't have a work order with the customer's signature, they would not be paid for the work.

I let you guess what the reason for that might be.

The service manager had only been working there for two weeks when he said that. I'm guessing that he would say it differently now.

This is standard in virtually all industries, including autos......but a little out dated. Many, less than ethical dealer service managers will "graze" the lot for warranty work. They are paid on the profit of the service department for a given month. If customer pay is slow, they go "shopping" on the lot.

I had the same policies in place when I was a dealer rep back in the 80's...except they had to call me with an issue in an in stock vehicle, just to keep them honest.

HOWEVER, in this day of electronics and digital files, it would be soooo easy to document a repair order of an in stock unit that this type of policy should be lost in antiquity.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member
Pensacola , Florida
A salesman at an RV dealer once told me to check every water connection I could find on a new RV and you are guaranteed to find at least one that is not tight. This was confirmed by a friend who has had several motor homes and has always found those loose connections before use. A stitch in time...
Wonder Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #27
Rivet Master
2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I can't emphasize enough the value of a good dealer. We just bought our first new Airstream. (We owned two used ones before this one) We got it from the dealer who was closest to us. They had what we wanted and the price was good. I wish we had purchased from some other dealer. Once these guys had our money they wouldn't even answer emails. We had a couple of minor issues fixed at a different dealer who was close to were we were camping and had Airstream ship us some parts so we could repair the other issues ourselves.
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member
2013 25' FB International
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
We got it from the dealer who was closest to us. They had what we wanted and the price was good. I wish we had purchased from some other dealer. Once these guys had our money they wouldn't even answer emails.

What was the dealer name?

Bigventure is online now   Reply With Quote