Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Wink Pricing for a 1968 Airstream Ambassador??

Hi,
My boyfriend and I are looking for an airstream and found a 1968 Ambassador that looks like it's in pretty good shape, with about 90% Original interior. This would be our first AS and are looking to travel/live in it for the summer. We are trying to decide if it's worth saving a few thousand dollars to buy something that needs work and time, or if we should find something in pretty good condition, since we are new to AS life. Any widsom would be WELL appreciated. If you know pricing too, what would you pay for this year and condition?

Thanks!
LucyP
LucyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
work and time....don't forget money too

Go with one ready, or almost ready, to roll. Look around the classifieds at all the good intentions gone bad. If you want to be on the road this Summer and your beginners at this, its not the time to start a project.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Research Research Research

Welcome aboard. Do your research and look at a LOT of trailers before jumping in. You won't regret it. Before you know it you will be looking for trialer number 2 and 3.

Take a look here for price vs condition.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Lucy,

Being in the middle of a two year/$20k restoration of a 1967 Ambassador that was 90% original... I would suggest you look at something like this one . It is in very good working condition and is at a price that you could not touch by fixing one yourself. A trailer that has been lovingly restored will likely sell for much less than it cost to complete. The key is to find one that has been done well and the owner is willing to part with.

Good Luck!
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Welcome to the forums......we recently purchased a 68 Ambassador figuring that it would have a rotted floor (rear bath) and need new axles and we were not disappointed. You see, we had a 69 Overlander before this one that we found out about the floor and axles after we had replaced the flooring and had fixed a lot of things in the trailer. It is very important that you check out the trailer for these issues especially with a rear bath.......they are fixable but you need to know what you are getting into up front IMHO. We love the look of our 68 Ambassador and can't wait until it is ready for camping. Do you have pictures you can post? Some people can tell about the axles by looking at how low the trailer sits on the wheels. Hope to see you down the road. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Is $7500 to much to ask for an 1968 Ambassador?

The asking price is $7500. Is that to much?
LucyP
Old 03-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Yes

Need pictures of course, but for that price, the 68 should be pristine and ready to roll. You have any pics?
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyPepper
LucyP
As Rob said... at that price it should be ready to roll. If not, a complete trailer in good condition would go for about half that price. If go cheap, be prepared to spend a lot of $$$ on repairs. The only reason I chose to go that route was that I wanted to do a complete re-do "my way"

Post some pics if you have them.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
LucyP
Yes. By a factor of 3. It WILL need axles ($2000), plus I have found that the original stuff that works now, can and will fail in the next few months of trying to use it.
There is currently a 29' coach in the classifieds (1989) for $1000 more than that price, and it doesn't need that much.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Hi,
My boyfriend and I are looking for an airstream and found a 1968 Ambassador that looks like it's in pretty good shape, with about 90% Original interior. This would be our first AS and are looking to travel/live in it for the summer. We are trying to decide if it's worth saving a few thousand dollars to buy something that needs work and time, or if we should find something in pretty good condition, since we are new to AS life. Any widsom would be WELL appreciated. If you know pricing too, what would you pay for this year and condition?

Thanks!
LucyP
Back when we were "new" to trailering which was also long before we found airforums, we decided to buy something newer. We have no regrets as it gives us the luxury of working on a vintage trailer while still being able to camp in comfort.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
I was looking at a '68 on craigslist yesterday that was really very nice. It needed axles and a gaucho and this or that, but really darn near ready to show off and camp. It was listed for $5000.00 and needed about 3000.00 put in it to be absolutley perfect. If this is the 68 you are talking about, BUY IT. It will serve for many years to come.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is an image for the Ambassador.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
More images of the Ambassador..What do you think??

Old 03-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Looks nice! Not the sameone I was looking at as it did not have an awning. IMO If it is ready to rock, $7500.00 does not sound terrible, however it will need axles and they are $800.00 a pop for OEM. That does not mean you cant do things a bit economical but it takes a bit more doing. You might consider finding somebody here on the forums to do an inspection for you and test ALL systems. For 7500.00 everything should work. Good Luck and thanks for the pictures.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Someone to inspect for me??

Hi Dave,
Yea, it feels like she's a good one, but we are in SLC, and she is about 800 miles away. How would I go about finding someone to do an inspection, or would another airstreamer take a look for us? Not sure who, or where to contact someone. I have more pics if that would help...
LucyP
Old 03-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
It depends--maybe yes and maybe no

Quote:
LucyP
As has been said earlier, you will probably need new axles and you have not said whether the floor in the bathroom (and under the water heater) is soft or not.....if the floor is rotted, it is a big job to replace the floor in the bathroom.....things have to be taken out for it to be done properly and sometimes the bathroom furnishings break when removed. The other place to check for a soft floor is around the door area---actually the whole trailer should be checked for this issue. The integrity of the trailer depends upon a solid floor. Can you find someone to inspect the trailer for you? Then you would have a better idea if it is a good buy or not. Do you have the skills and place to work on the trailer yourselves? There are many unknown factors that would determine the answer to your question. I hope it works out for you....68 was a good year---only 40 short years ago. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 03-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Inspection??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot
As has been said earlier, you will probably need new axles and you have not said whether the floor in the bathroom (and under the water heater) is soft or not.....if the floor is rotted, it is a big job to replace the floor in the bathroom.....things have to be taken out for it to be done properly and sometimes the bathroom furnishings break when removed. The other place to check for a soft floor is around the door area---actually the whole trailer should be checked for this issue. The integrity of the trailer depends upon a solid floor. Can you find someone to inspect the trailer for you? Then you would have a better idea if it is a good buy or not. Do you have the skills and place to work on the trailer yourselves? There are many unknown factors that would determine the answer to your question. I hope it works out for you....68 was a good year---only 40 short years ago. pj
How do I find someone to inspect it??
LucyP
Old 03-23-2008, 09:13 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
The oned posted by byamcaravanner looked good. 7500 is a lot of money, things better work. Did you personally test all systems? AC/Fridge? When was the last time the tires were replaced? Brakes? Spare? Battery? What about measure the voltage at every outlet when plugged in?

Probably be about 3k for a trip prep at a reputable RV delear no matter how good it is, if used, and has not been done to get all the bugs worked out. If they started finding stuff then 15k is going to start looking like a bargain.

Good luck, once rolling you will have a blast. If you can afford to travel all summer at $4 a gallon, then go for it, fixing the rig will be the least of your expenses.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Search in the member list

Under the profiles of members, they say whether they are willing to inspect. Find members in the location of the trailer. I don't exactly remember how I searched for inspectors but I have before. Perhaps someone else can chime in on how to zero in on inspectors in your area quickly. Good luck. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 03-23-2008, 09:18 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by elolson
The oned posted by byamcaravanner looked good. 7500 is a lot of money, things better work. Did you personally test all systems? AC/Fridge? When was the last time the tires were replaced? Brakes? Spare? Battery? What about measure the voltage at every outlet when plugged in?

Probably be about 3k for a trip prep at a reputable RV delear no matter how good it is, if used, and has not been done to get all the bugs worked out. If they started finding stuff then 15k is going to start looking like a bargain.

Good luck, once rolling you will have a blast. If you can afford to travel all summer at $4 a gallon, then go for it, fixing the rig will be the least of your expenses.
Th current owner says that it is 98% original, has new brakes, new tires, new water heater, and new awning and that everything works. What are the "big" red flag things I should look for, or in this case, ask about?? Still new and figuring this all out.

Tags
1968, 1968 airstream