Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
hampden , Massachusetts
pricing.....

I am going to look at a '77 tradewind this weekend. The exterior is in good shape with only a few minor dings. The interior...... bathroom has been removed, but has all the parts. Needs hot water heater, furnace, and stove. Floor is supposedly good. Has a new inverter and new tires were installed. Interior was also painted. Asking price is $5500. I am thinking that this is overpriced..... If all systems were there and working, I would have no issue even paying $6000. But with these issues......

Anyone have any pricing ideas?

Amanda

Old 03-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Any given trailer is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't know the East Coast used Airstream market, so I'd trust your assessment of its value if everything worked. I assume you're basing that on some research.

That being said, I'd be more worried about confirming the status of the floor and axles (not just tires). If the axles haven't been replaced (ask to see the receipt), they will need to be. The rubber just gets old, regardless of use or storage. Those are two big ticket items.

Price new hot water heaters, furnaces and stoves. If the floor and axles really are good, ask to have the cost of appliances knocked off the asking price. See what the response is and go from there.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
hampden , Massachusetts
did my calculations using the guide from this forum.... 'Average' condition trailer of this year ranges $4600-7800, so let's take an average of $6300. Subtract bathroom labor plus appliances. get $4650. We will see.....

A
Old 03-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I would find out why the bathroom was removed.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by azthermal1 View Post
I am going to look at a '77 tradewind this weekend. The exterior is in good shape with only a few minor dings. The interior...... bathroom has been removed, but has all the parts. Needs hot water heater, furnace, and stove. Floor is supposedly good. Has a new inverter and new tires were installed. Interior was also painted. Asking price is $5500. I am thinking that this is overpriced..... If all systems were there and working, I would have no issue even paying $6000. But with these issues......

Anyone have any pricing ideas?
Hi Amanda

My assessment is that there are probably better deals out there. In particular you should be able to find a trailer in better condition for that kind of money.

Mid 70s trailers are not especially sought after and frequently come up in more or less ready-to-camp condition at those sorts of prices.

Your situation -- how important saving a couple thousand dollars is to you, how soon you need the trailer in hand, how much time you're willing to spend shopping, how far you're willing to go -- will determine your decision.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Unless it once belonged to a celebrity it is way overpriced. You will spend upgrade dollars way over it's true value.
Neil

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote