Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Prices seem to be up lately

I have been checking local adds like craigs list and ebay prices and they seem to be a lot higher than they were a couple months ago and there seem to be less of them. I would think that approaching winter that RV prices would tank. Maybe it is because of hunting season increasing demand. So would the best time to look for used trailers be in Jan-Feb time frame when folks are needing cash to recover from Christmas spending?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
When searching for my used Airstream I found that sellers were very negotiable on price points. It seems the philosophy is to price high and be prepared to discount. I suggest offering what the trailer is worth to you, even if you perceive the seller might be offended. I found in many cases the seller calls back a few days after rejecting the initial offer. Some sellers will quickly come down 25% to 30%. Others are relatively firm but most will discount at least 10% for a serious cash buyer.

If you can't negotiate the price you want for the trailer you want, wait a few weeks. New trailers come on the market every week. Many of us looked for over a year before buying our used vehicle. If you are patient and persistent you will find a great trailer at a good price. In this depressed economy there is no reason to overpay. No matter the price, make sure you inspect it well before buying. A 20% discount is no bargain if you have to put thousands of dollars into it before it is usable.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not think the Airstream market is driven by seasonal needs all that much.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Our Trade Wind cost us more than it should, 'If I only knew what to look for....' but I too had looked for a long time and I knew that perhaps I was paying a little more than necessary. That was over 5 years ago and now it's 'priceless'. No major structual problems other than a small amount of floor rot and a cracked black tank was soon apparent. All the other replacements were expected for a 45 year old unit. It's a keeper.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sugar Pine 7.29 - 8.2 029.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	144175  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Our Trade Wind cost us more than it should, 'If I only knew what to look for....' but I too had looked for a long time and I knew that perhaps I was paying a little more than necessary. That was over 5 years ago and now it's 'priceless'. No major structual problems other than a small amount of floor rot and a cracked black tank was soon apparent. All the other replacements were expected for a 45 year old unit. It's a keeper.
Neil
Good looking rig.

Plastic holding tanks, both black and fresh water, of yesteryear, are showing a noticeable failure rate due to cracking.

Fortunately, plastic and sometimes fiberglass replacements, are available most of the time, from various sources.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have been checking the prices on craiglist here in Georgia and yep they are up. I checked in Phoenix and noticed they had some good deals on Airstreams and old Spartans.

After this 1960 is finished I will probably go for a third but I will be possibly looking in the 1980's

Brian
Old 10-31-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Fresh Air:

Your trailer from the rear looks like my 1960. I am so ready to get it finished. I like the tow vehicle. It looks like a buick. I have been looking for car similar for a second tow vehicle. I really like the car.

Brian
Old 10-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Good looking rig.

Plastic holding tanks, both black and fresh water, of yesteryear, are showing a noticeable failure rate due to cracking.

Fortunately, plastic and sometimes fiberglass replacements, are available most of the time, from various sources.

Andy
Andy, our new black tank came from you....
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 10-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Fresh Air:

Your trailer from the rear looks like my 1960. I am so ready to get it finished. I like the tow vehicle. It looks like a buick. I have been looking for car similar for a second tow vehicle. I really like the car.

Brian
Yup, it's a Buick....1971 Centurion. It's 455 tows like there's nothing attached to it.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 10-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Many units seem to take from months to years to sell (and I don't search for Airstreams, but Avion, Streamline & Silver Streak) and some folks pull their units off market till next season (April - September). Others, who are not in a hurry, can hold out for the price they think fair. There are a couple of examples I've seen that have been for sale for more than three years.

All in all these trailers are worth more than they were 10-years ago as Craigslist and other Net sources deliver a much larger audience. And, good comparisons for the seller to price his unit against.

When it comes to Airstream (dime-a-dozen in quantity) it comes to model popularity [size] according to some other threads on this subject.

And vintage vintage, pre-1970, is in a world of it's own. Then rarity factors in as one backs towards 1960 and earlier.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote