Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Prices on 34 Footers

Hey guys. Some of you have heard me say this time and time again but I love the 34 footers with the triple axles! I just sold my Airstream and am looking for its replacement. Iv seen 34 footers all over the place pricewise from $8500 to $35,000. Whats the "typical" price on a 80s-90s 34' in good to very good condition.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I would think you could get a decent 80's model in the $10k-18k range depending on condition. It seems that there are some good deals out there on the 34's.
I love mine! '82 will be the first year of the triple axle.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The really big difference between the models is they went wide body in 1995-96 and they are going for a bit more money. Some of them were also made with oriented strand board for the floor. Some came with two air conditioners. Some people think the later models were overweight for their frame size and could have rear end separation problems. I have seen two of them with the condition that required the elephant ears fix.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
As soon as they get more than 15 years old, the condition and "belief structure" of seller become dominant factors in pricing.. A tired unit with problems, smokey interior, and cat-clawed furniture and body dings will be worth a lot less than a beautiful and well maintained unit with new tires, axles, flooring, etc. Some sellers think they should sell for more than real value, and values limited by requirement for heavy duty tow vehicle and special places to park... That is not a unit you are going to be able to calibrate your "deal" by much in way of external references of bluebooks.. Just need to focus on ranges of price and jump at one that looks good for its class...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
One thing Iv noticed about Airstreams is there is no "blue book" for them. The price is completely based on what the owner feels its worth. Sometimes this works to your advantage, but usually not...
Old 03-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Love those 34's

We payed just under 21,000 for our '93 back in '09. She was/is pristine inside and out, all original. Our son paid 12,000 for his '90 about 2 years back. Not quite as slick as ours but a beautiful trailer and a bargain.

Airstreams are a lot like art: they are worth whatever you can get for it.

That said, generally speaking, the 34's tend to bring a bit less than the shorter trailers. The 3 axles, overall total length of trailer/TV, percieved parking problems, and shear intimidation of the Alumaliner thins the crowd out.

most folks luv'em, but most folks don't wanna pull'em.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
We payed just under 21,000 for our '93 back in '09. She was/is pristine inside and out, all original. Our son paid 12,000 for his '90 about 2 years back. Not quite as slick as ours but a beautiful trailer and a bargain.

Airstreams are a lot like art: they are worth whatever you can get for it.

That said, generally speaking, the 34's tend to bring a bit less than the shorter trailers. The 3 axles, overall total length of trailer/TV, percieved parking problems, and shear intimidation of the Alumaliner thins the crowd out.

most folks luv'em, but most folks don't wanna pull'em.

John
Sandlapper,
I think you are right about the "perceived" pulling/parking issues. It is, of course not ever going to be a 16' bambi, but once you get comfortable with the length, towing and parking is a piece of cake! I can back my 34' into a keyhole! Love it!

-Casey
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Same here Casey, backs beautifully. Just take a bit more room pulling forward before backing up.

BTW, headed to Beaufort (SC) next weekend, come on up and join us.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Same here Casey, backs beautifully. Just take a bit more room pulling forward before backing up.

BTW, headed to Beaufort (SC) next weekend, come on up and join us.

John
I will have to take a rain check on that one. I had a rather nasty knee injury several weeks ago that required some major surgery. I should be up and running in about 6 weeks or so. I have some major hitch itch....its killing me!
We love to head up to the Savannah area for camping.... lots of great spots. I will definitely take you up on that when I am back on my feet!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Heheh. Hitch itch. I've never heard that one. I know what you mean, though. Had to take ours out for a weekend five minutes from the house just to scratch that itch two weekends ago. Luckily, we're out on a proper vacation now touring some south Louisiana parks.

Add me to the list of the crazies wanting a 34 footer. I don't know how many people have told me why I shouldn't get one, but I still love the looks of them. One of these days.....
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man View Post
Hey guys. Some of you have heard me say this time and time again but I love the 34 footers with the triple axles! I just sold my Airstream and am looking for its replacement. Iv seen 34 footers all over the place pricewise from $8500 to $35,000. Whats the "typical" price on a 80s-90s 34' in good to very good condition.
There is always a price spread on the big ones, whether down-market AIRSTREAM or up-market AVION, SILVER STREAK or STREAMLINE. Age is fast catching these others as most are now at the 25-30 year mark or older.

I spent several years reading nationwide ads for these other brands. Some states always had more than others. This tends to help, actually, as owners are more cognizant of value vs. dollar. And buyers can (as we did) travel to see several TT's at once.

This size is cubic dollars when it comes to exterior and interior cosmetics. Upholstery, curtains, awnings, polishing, etc, all really add up if one is determined to meet the OEM high standard (or improve it). Understand that most owners do not try to meet that standard. Thus, original, unmolested is the best, IMO, as one has the best blank slate to work from. I avoid painted interiors, shabby upholstery, etc if possible. I find that a sign of how the trailer systems will have been treated: poorly.

What isn't easy are the two deal killers (again, IMO): skin tears and plumbing breaks. Some TT's are just too big to take apart . . so one has to be able to isolate and do a decent repair in these instances. Thus, extensive damage on an extensive trailer is one really big order.

The 35' SILVER STREAK I bought is gigantic. Tandem, not tridem. I'm hoping the excellent appearance (and overall VG original condition) does not hide serious problems. But, hey, I don't own a house anymore, so I guess I can [will] deal with what comes along.

I use the rule-of-thumb that $10k above the purchase price will be the opening amount of money to get it in decent shape. The second ten will be what takes it back to or past OEM condition in every single aspect.

As in other threads on this subject (trailer age & price, not size-specific) I'd say that a consensus is that from 10-20 years can be a safe bet. From nearly 30 on out can be something else again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-13.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	181953  
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
The price will be determined on the buyer's steadfastness in his desire to obtain a full length airstream. When I started looking I knew that I wanted a 34. I looked for several weeks at e-bay, Craig's list, and Air Forums. Having got a feel for the going price, I began to call about the ones that I was interested in. The first two were already sold but third time was charm. It was the better looking yet the cheaper one. Never had a regret. I love my 34 even though it is just my wife and I.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #13

San Clemente , California
What is the minimum truck size to tow a 34'?
jim ibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #14

What should be the expected price range for a 34' 1997 Limited American Ledgend
Old 01-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I tow our 34' with an F150. Andy from CanAM has used a Chrysler 300 and a Honda Odessy. As to price, condition will be the determining factor. Our 97' is not a Legend model, but it has three new axles and all new appliances in the past two years. It is about to get in floor radiant heat and a big "J" shaped couch in the front. All of those items would cause the value to increase. Certainly not to the stratospheric levels as some of the trailers which have been totally redone by the Airstream specialty businesses, but more than the $12,000 maybe it works maybe it doesn't trailer.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I have a 34' Avion that grosses 9600lbs...wife probably loads it 11,000

I pull mine with a Dodge Ram diesel 4x4 4-door long-bed and have been very happy with it. Sure, you can do like the video and pull it with a '94 Chrysler LHX front wheel drive with the V-6, but then you can't put your motorcycle, surfboards, and 1500lbs of other stuff in the bed

Most folks use a 3/4 ton truck to pull them. But with a good hitch, you could certainly use a smaller vehicle.

The weight does go up a lot as they get newer. Might need to factor that in.

Best of luck,
Old 01-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim ibert View Post
What should be the expected price range for a 34' 1997 Limited American Ledgend
Well, it's 16-17 years old now. Even if it has been well-maintained, it's probably going to have a few borderline appliances, and the decor is looking dated. Of course, tires need replacement around five years of age, and it could need to have new axles sometime soon, if they haven't been replaced already.

And yet, relative to their price when new, they always seem pleasantly low when I see a good used one. Anyways, I will say that for one in average condition, with average wear, something like $16,000. For one that is really outstanding, it could be $25,000 or maybe more, depending on what has been replaced (see above).

Use the available helper list, there are a lot of great people on here that will help you inspect a used trailer.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #18

Thanks for the replies and good info. I saw one at a dealer and was asking $48,000.00 and the exterior and interior needed some TLC.

From what I'm hearing that price is way out of the Ball Park.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 01-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I wanted to buy a 34 before I bought my 30. I was planning to tow it with my Tundra. The owner towed it with a Lincoln Navigator.
We were way too far apart on price. He was firm at $18,000 for a 1988 Excella.
After much haggling he said he would come down to $15,000.
I honestly didn't see $15,000 in that particular trailer.
Long story short- no deal.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim ibert View Post
Thanks for the replies and good info. I saw one at a dealer and was asking $48,000.00 and the exterior and interior needed some TLC.

From what I'm hearing that price is way out of the Ball Park.

Thanks,

Jim
What year and model was it?

One thing I forgot to mention is that the SO (Slide-out) models are just rare enough that they seem to elude classifying as to price.

Plus, they weigh significantly more that the rigid-bodied models, and one or two years have quirky balance and may need very skilled work if they are actually to be towed.