Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I will add a few things to what has been said; The dealers are now giving higher discounts than in previous years due to the economy and fear of going out of business. And this in turn will drive down the sales or asking prices of used trailers. Individuals, like me don't have to worry about going out of business or making payments. Like I said, though, dealers will still try to get add-ons, extras, and financing to make up for some or all of the loss. [they might not get you, but they will get some-one]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
loveland , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by stufarmer View Post
When NADA prices a travel trailer at $40,000 for example, why would anyone expect to pay more than book value for a product..? A bank will only loan a % of book value. I'm amazed at the prices I see advertised for Airstreams, the advertised prices seem to be $15-20,000 more than the NADA value...why..? NADA prices there Airstream trailers with A/C, Microwave, awning, stereo. There really isn't much left to add if any.

As I write this there is a 2004 28' Safari advertised here for $34,500. The NADA value is $18,500. for average RETAIL...that is a HUGE difference. I don't understand.
Supply and demand. I just checked trader on line nationwide, this forums clasified and major listings on craigslist and other rv forum classifieds. No 04 28 safari. I did find one with a slide for 36k, but lots of weight and potential problems as well. So, a new 28 flying cloud best number nationwide is around 55, and you need to cough up for hitch and spare tire. I can say nothing is wrong with the unit and potentially less problems than a new one!!. It has new tires, bearing repacked and ready to go. I can assure you in one year what unit will depreciate more. The price reflects the market. If I had to compete with pages of similar units the price would probably be 18.5k. My side of the story.
rosspoletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosspoletis View Post
Supply and demand. I just checked trader on line nationwide, this forums clasified and major listings on craigslist and other rv forum classifieds. No 04 28 safari. I did find one with a slide for 36k, but lots of weight and potential problems as well. So, a new 28 flying cloud best number nationwide is around 55, and you need to cough up for hitch and spare tire. I can say nothing is wrong with the unit and potentially less problems than a new one!!. It has new tires, bearing repacked and ready to go. I can assure you in one year what unit will depreciate more. The price reflects the market. If I had to compete with pages of similar units the price would probably be 18.5k. My side of the story.
You likely are competing with a wider variety of new and used ASs models...27FB/25FB and others. Your 2004 is now 6 model years old....FMV may be somewhere inbetween your $34.5 and "Book" value of $18.5K. As long as you are patient and don't "need" to sell it...you can wait for your price. (As suggested in you "serious" inquiries only" message)

I am looking (primarily for an FB) but I am flexible regarding floorplan and length and considered calling re; your 28' Safari...since I live in Northern Minnesota...not too far from "Western Michigan"...but did not call. I will follow your listing...and perhaps learn a bit more about AS "values"...Thanks...Tom R in Two Harbors, Minnesota
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:53 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
loveland , Colorado
Youi are corect on the other models, and this particular design is very 1/2 ton capable for a 28. It only weighs 5700 lbs dry and offers tremendous size for weight combination.. So, for those looking, it is indeed unique. Allso, the cost of delivery and pick up is another issue to be considered. I am willing to work on that with a close to full price offer.
rosspoletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I've always enjoyed "serious inquiries only" listings. How do you suppose they screen 'em. When you get a request for photos, do you ask "are you serious" before sending them out.

As I said, one can't deal w/ somebody who doesn't want to sell. If an owner would rather give away their unit than sell for NADA retail [which I am not particularly suggesting is market], i.e. take an $18 complete loss rather than recover at least some of their costs . . . well, you can't deal w/ that.

All I am doing is making an offer; there are plenty ofsellers right now.
I have a friend who used to work for an Airstream dealer and he agrees taht in years past the "mystique" sold the units. Part of the sales pitch was how AS retain their value. etc. etc. etc.
No more.
BillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
There may be plenty of sellers but I have not seen them. What I have seen is dealers trying to sell at or a little below cost and some owners selling at what I consider reasonable prices and some owners dreaming. I have not seen any bargain basement prices and ones that are priced below market are gone rather quick, now the dealers by me who sell your white box units cannot seem to move them at any price. So why are we beating this topic to death? Prices are what they are and its not likely to change.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #47
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Things I've found useful when selling (and buying)

Selling a pricey personal item always becomes too emotional, I find. People have a lot invested, both monetarily and emotionally, and are often incapable of thinking either clearly or logically, when in the sales process.

This can translate to heated "discussions" between sellers and potential buyers, which are almost always non-productive.

The biggest challenge for both buyers and sellers is to be able to remain calm and refrain from using an insulting tone or hurtful language.

As someone pointed out in an earlier post, it's a good idea to have your "absolute max" (or min) in mind before you begin bargaining. Then, you need to decide if you are going to go straight to your "secret" price right away and just stubbornly stick there, or do a "stair-step" type of negotiation, where you give, the other party gives, and so on. Both methods are effective, I find.

If you find the other party is getting under your collar (upsetting you, in other words), try imagining them in a silly light to get yourself back under control. For example, if the other party is a large male, imagine that they are right now wearing a ballet tutu (that frilly little dress ballerinas wear), and you will quickly feel yourself becoming more at ease.

The only other things to remember are to be patient, and remember that it may take some time for the other party to really believe that you are not going to go where they want you to on price, or for them to accept buying/selling at that price.

It needn't be a negative experience, if you have your emotions firmly under control.

Lastly, remember this old truism: unless you are willing to walk away from a deal, you are not negotiating. So be as firm with yourself as you are with the other party.

Sometimes you don't buy a particular item on the first go-around. Don't think for a minute that that means you never will have it. Many sellers (and buyers) can change their mind, given a little time, so always leave the door open if you don't make the deal you want, so that the other party is comfortable to contact you again, should they have a change of heart. You might change your mind, too!

So good luck!