Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Maybe prices are coming down!

Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 06:58 PM   #30
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Re: Re: Ty for the info Airstream Life

Originally posted by wahoonc

Keep going on those popup prices. A fully loaded Coleman/Fleetwood goes for close to $15K. BTW I currently own a 2000 that listed for over $13.5k in 2000.

This is why we got into Airstreaming. I wanted to keep it simple and inexpensive. When I saw at the time (1995) that popups were going to run 7-8K for a basic new one it was not too much of a leap to go buy a used (1974) Airstream. Here we are 10 years later and on our 4th one. Who wooda thunk it?

Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:10 PM   #31
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Another element that might contribute to the popularity of vintage Airstreams is the high cost of a new unit…

If you think about it Airstream's biggest competitor is probably Airstream itself. Since these babies never really wear out and no other brand provides a similarly styled unit with the reputation of a true "American Brand" means the only alternative for people for those people discovering Airstreams for the first time who can't afford a shiny new one are in fact older Airstreams.

As the factory continues to drive its brand and consumer demand increases, sales will continue to "spill over" into used units. I've seen this phenomenon many times on a dealer's lots. Knowing what an AS nut I am they'll tell me they can't keep them on the lot for more than a week. They get calls off their website from all across the country and sell them well above book. And these reports are from dealers who don't carry Airstream.

It's even happened to me when I've parked mine in front of a dealership I'm visiting for a few days. On two occasions the sales manager asked me to move it because people are coming in off the highway to ask about it and they have to tell them it's not for sale! (I always say if you get $100K for that piece of classic Americana then it's for sale!)

Since Airstream is doing such a good job of selling the brand and generating increasing demand and new unit sales and because the pool of available used units for sale at any given time is finite then it seems to me that the only place for the price of our older units to go is up.

Once demand begins to level off or decline then the bubble will be over and we can all go back to plucking jewels out of farmer’s fields again!
Steven Webster
1986 Airstream 345 Classic Motorhome
AIR 1760
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 07:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master
2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
IMHO - I think one factor that is affecting not only the price of Airstreams but all recreational vehicles - is world unrest!

North Americans had a rude awakening call! - Family became important again! The ideals of yesteryear and Family "Camping" were re-born.

Travel abroad has decreased resulting in increased travel in North America - and what a better way to travel and see your own Continent! Airstreaming!!

On another note re: prices the season has a definite impact on prices as with boats, snowmobiles etc. - March, April are big months for sales with summer coming. Prices were up! We bought in Feb when the prices seemed to be lower. During the summer months they were steady with a noticiable decrease in available units.

Now we are looking again and in general the vintage prices are down again (always the exception of some units that seem to be priced high - but then they usually seem to be rare layouts or special years) However there seem to be a lot out there for sale right now!

Another point could be that we are the last of the Baby Boomers - and I think we are also the last of the generation that was to be seen and not heard. We appreciate our elders and were taught to appreciate value in products. Not necessarily buying current when something a little older is just as good and cost a little less (taking into consideration the money required to restore). It was the used bike that was made to look brand new and happened to be faster than any other on the street. The ball glove that was well broken in making you look like a star while everyone else suffered from blisters from their new gloves.

And get ready - there will be another 300+ or so vintage trailers added to the stock as we turn another page to 2005 - calling all 1980's yep you will soon be classified a "Vintage" unit. Happy 25th!

And a final note - prices will be as high as we are willing to pay for what we feel is important to us. I think the "flippers" are very few in comparison to the real deal.

Just reading this forum is enough to give someone the impression that we are towing GOLD on Black Rubber rather than aluminium.

Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright now, then it is not the end.
GT1963 is offline   Reply With Quote