Old 03-22-2004, 07:01 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I have a friend in the trucking business that hauls meat. He tells me that McDonalds buys the highest quality meat possible. They show up unannounced and check up on their suppliers. I won't mention what he has said about the quality of meat from other fast food restaurants.

Another element that might contribute to the popularity of vintage Airstreams is the high cost of a new unit, be it an SOB or Airstream coach. Heck a decked out pop-up can run over $12,000 Watching HGTV RV 2004 show, they had Class B motorhomes that cost as much as low tier class A's. I know that was a BIG contributing factor in my decision to go vintage Airstream. Well, that and the fact that I just love them.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 07:16 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts
The classic car market had a similar bubble in the 80s-90s. I was wanting a classic mustang at the time, and somehow they went from cool old cars high-school students drove, to collectables that were getting traded at rediculously high prices by adults with real jobs. However, eventually the bubble burst, and then it went through a painful period where everyone was asking too much for their 'investment cars', and being sorely dissapointed because basically the kind of person who wants a project mustang typically doesn't have a big bank account. Now it seems to have come back to reality and I see project cars evey day at what I consider reasonable prices (for something that's going to need thousands of dollars dumped into it to make it a nice car).

I wouldn't be surprised to see airstreams go through a similar process as the glamor of buying an old airstream fades into the reality of fixing it up.
My theory on why Airstreams are currently popular has a lot to do with the breakneck speed at which products are introduced, only to be discontinued within a year. The super cool computer you bought three years ago is now an old relic that you can't find parts for and is ready to be hauled off to a museum--if only you could find one that would take it. Showing it to friends is embarrasing. Same goes for cameras, and hundreds of other things.

I think people are getting tired of that, and looking to grab something of value they can be as proud to own in 2014 as in 2004. Not very many products meet that criteria, but Airstreams and Harley Davidson motorcycles certainly do.

Because of that, I really don't see any end in sight for the price appreciation of new and used Airstreams. People want to buy American made items of lasting value, and I can't imagine that desire is going to go out of style anytime soon.

Just my humble opinion!!

- Charlie

Old 03-22-2004, 07:17 PM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Re: Ty for the info Airstream Life

Quote:
Originally posted by Rog0525
but I think by and large that most vintage buyers are conscientious folks who really appreciate the quality and integrity of old Airstreams and treat them like the works of art that they are.
Rog
Thanks Rog,
I resemble your remark I have always liked Airstreams. When I was a kid we lived in Talahassee on the Tamiami Trail. We used to go sit on the side of the road and look for the snowbirds heading south.. We loved to see the AS's come by. I now own a "vintage" 1975 unit. It needs a lot of TLC to be brought back to it's former glory. But I am up to the task

Pick,

Keep going on those popup prices. A fully loaded Coleman/Fleetwood goes for close to $15K. BTW I currently own a 2000 that listed for over $13.5k in 2000.

Anybody want to buy a popup?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:42 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Wow! Outside of tow vehicle, why would anyone spend 15k on a pop up....seems a bit crazy to me, but I am sure there is a good reason.....
Old 03-22-2004, 10:19 PM   #19
doh
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Manchaca , Texas
wahoonc

Those Colemans will soon be rare - since they are no longer made

Fleetwoods dismal quality control cost them their Coleman license. Nice to see that Coleman expects products that have their name on it to be good.

Fleetwood sued Coleman, Coleman sued Fleetwood. Fleetwood lost, but is appealing. The license was set to expire in 2005 anyway.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:19 AM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
doh,
I am well aware of the Fleetwood/Coleman fiasco. IMHO the lawsuit had more to do with $$ than quality control. The Coleman name has been sold out for years, it is/was owned by Sunbean/American Home Brands(I think).This is the same company that owns Mr. Coffee, Sunbeam Appliances and others. They are basically a holding company, most if not all of the products are made off-shore (China). Fleetwood bought the Coleman manufacturering facility in PA in the early/mid eighties, and liscensed the name. The problem with Fleetwood was their warranty and lack of customer service. Quality control was an issue but people were still buying based on the Coleman name. But that was all it was...a name. It was kind of like Airstream being owned by Beatrice Foods at one point. What did a food company know about Travel Trailers and Airstreams at that? They almost drove the company into ruin, we came very close to loseing the Airsteam Brand Name. Then somone could have scooped it up in Bankruptcy court for a song and slapped it on any crappy product that came along...Remember Avion? Guess who bought them and basically ran them out of business...Our good buddies at Fleetwood RV, the same ones that were building Coleman campers. Fleetwood has purchased many, many reputable smaller manufacturers of RV's mainly for the name and the facilities, then the apply the Fleetwood brand of management to it, along with QC and Customer Service (an oxymoron if there ever was one!) And another good brand goes away and most people don't even realize it. They just recognize the name. I would be interested to see what percentage of the population purchases a product based on name recognition, I would suspect it is very large percent. Very few people take the time to research and check out a product before spending their money on it. I am on of a few that does. I don't mind paying a premium price for a product, bet it better be a premium product and not just a premium name.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 03-23-2004, 05:52 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Hey, hey, hey, what's so bad about the Beatrice years? Mine has a Beatrice tag on it. Seems to be well built, and by golly she's still on the road Right now she's being used every day in Florida.

Other than the "rear end separation" and the gusset plates in the axle mounting area......she seems as well built if not better than some of the newest models.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:37 PM   #22
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Pick,
If I recall the history correctly, if Thor hadn't purchased AS when theyd did it was going into bankruptcy and be parted off. Beatrice did manage to maintain the Airstream line but made a lot of bad design and money decisions. They looked on AS as a cash cow, and once the cash was gone the wanted to eat steak. BTW mine is a Beatrice Foods year model too, with all of the inherent problems.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 03-23-2004, 10:56 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Market up...

I sold my Harleys , my beemers, my VW's I guess it's time for me to offload, I like tenting... Come get it for $4100 needs work, 27 ft Ambasador, front dinette rear bath, Pictures available for serious buyers.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:02 AM   #24
doh
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Manchaca , Texas
Thumbs up wahoonc

The Fleetwood party line is that $$ is the issue. This is good for Fleetwood, particulary explaining the rift to their customers.

The Coleman story is that it is quality.

I had a 1993 Coleman Williamsburg from 1993 to late 2003. Very nice camper - no plastic roof that caved in and bulged at the sides & no vendor that denied it was their problem, turning their backs on the very people that kept them in business.

Me thinks Fleetwood is way too arrogant & is destined to suffer the consequences of their poor business decisions.

Whatever is the truth on that fiasico, I think Coleman is likely the winner.

Thor definitely saved airstream, just as Beatrice did when they bought it - by the late 60's after Wallys' death it was also in serious trouble. So, we owe a lot of thanks to both of them & I hope that there are a few students of history in Jackson Center, otherwise - they are destined to .............

I have no gripes about my Airstream, perfection is most elusive.
It found me & I'm happy

Old 03-24-2004, 07:55 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
We love our '04 too. As most know we had an '03 Bambi and there was a huge push from the customers and Airstream listened. The overall quality of the units is much better. So I have to believe that the folks in Jackson Center have their fingers on the pulse.

The March '04 Forbes article about Thor I found very interesting. You can get bits and pieces of that here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ghlight=forbes
Old 03-24-2004, 07:25 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Re: Market up...

Quote:
Originally posted by Phaedrus
I sold my Harleys , my beemers, my VW's I guess it's time for me to offload, I like tenting... Come get it for $4100 needs work, 27 ft Ambasador, front dinette rear bath, Pictures available for serious buyers.
Guess the market is back down Seriously... anyone from/ know of the TAMPA BAY UNIT???
Old 03-27-2004, 06:14 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

There is an article in Forbes Magazine this month about Thor Industries.
It took me a year to find one locally. Although I did pass on an Argosy.
There just don't seem to be a lot of AS in my area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	5504  
Old 03-27-2004, 06:57 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

values?

My 2 cents says that here in Florida there are a larger number of orphaned A/S's than most places, but the market seems to be divided into the people who are knowledgeable and the people who think an old A/S is just old and worth little...values on good old units have bottomed out and are rising some as compared to the new units....jem

zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote