Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Galiano Island , British Columbia
Price for 1956 22' Flying Cloud - $24,000 and reserve not met yet.

Hello to all you lucky Airstream owners! I hope to join your ranks soon enough, and am currently in the market for one fantastic airstream...not unlike this one at auction on Ebay...

eBay Motors: 1956 Airstream vintage travel trailer 22' GORGEOUS (item 190235838161 end time Jul-19-08 11:53:23 PDT)

Starting bids are $24,000 and this doesn't meet reserve. Is this a realistic price for this unit? I read all the stickies and info on the internet that I could find about pricing vintage trailers, it's not really 100% "restored" but is certainly the trailer we may be looking for and seems to be in tip -top shape. It's beautiful.

I have also looked at other new trailers and know what the prices are for them - both airstream and stick and tin models.

Please help! There is so much to consider when buying a trailer (as I know from a failed experiment with a tent trailer...)

Best regards,
Lisa
chinupchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
that is a beautiful unit, even if it isn't truly "restored"...

when labor is factored in, $24K doesn't seem excessive to me..

a major perk is that this lightweight can be towed with a variety of TV's..

when spending a mint, though, I'd want to see the unit IN PERSON, personally..

love the drop-down bunk in front and the whale-tail in back...

drool...drool...drool...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
It doesn't work for me at 24k. It should not have the dents in segment panels for this price. I'm getting picky on this point but the grain also does not match on the kitchen cabinets. Although well done, a good cabinet maker would never allow this to happen. It is nice in the pictures but I think the price is way to high for the flaws it has.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
If you were to find one & restore it yourself...it would probably cost about the same $25K+. Yes, the mis-matched wood panels bother me too as does the dent, but every trailer has a flaw or two. The cabinet faces could be veneered for not too much $$$ but the dent (two panels) might be a deal-killer ~ depending on what it looks like in person and your "perfection level".

It's a very nice trailer ~ but those end cap panels are more difficult to replace than the straight lower panels. If you disassembled everything up front and could get to the back side of those panels, they might push out...but that's a lot of work at this point and for that money you shouldn't have to do a thing.

Check this out: Price vs Condition

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Nice Trailer

$24K for a rig like that is not to out of line, as long as it has an updated black and grey tank set-up. I agree with the other posters, when you factor in labor and materials the price shoots right up. This rig looks like someone spent some serious time putting togther.

I wonder if anyone got to use it??? Looks very new.

The one thing that caught my eye was if it was totally redone, then why didn't they bang out the dent when they had the interior caps down. If they didn't take them down to rewire and insulate, then the original insulation is there. Yik!!!!! Something will smell

My beef with ebay is that you cannot check this out yourself first hand. For that kind of money, I would prefer seeing the rig up close and see for myself the quality of the workmanship. Pictures hide a great deal.

My motto with ebay is buyer beware.

D

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Im not familiar with flying clouds - what is the "rack" on top about?

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Good eye...

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger bear View Post
Im not familiar with flying clouds - what is the "rack" on top about?
It's not original. My guess is, it is a frame for the solar panel the owner added. It does look a bit goofy ~

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 07-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
The photos are beautiful. I have been warned.....never purchase without viewing.
There are many more on the Forums that will have their opinions. AND MOST OPINIONS ARE VALUABLE. Many members "know their stuff" and can guide you.

It is MORE...."is it what it appears?" The actual price is not out-of-line...if it IS WHATAPPEARS.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I suspect that the dent happened after the restoration. Just a guess but the dented part is so well polished and I just cannot fathom someone going to the expense of restoration and not repairing it at the same time. Not an easy or inexpensive repair to undertake.

Personally, if I could not inspect the trailer prior to bidding, I would not be willing to pay this kind of money. It may well be re-listed with a more attractive price if it doesn't sell for this. It may be worth what they are asking but unless you go look you are taking quite a chance.

If you are going to spend that kind of money get a cheap flight on an airplane if you have to and go take a look. Or, pay an RV place to do an inspection. Find out who did the restoration work and are they known for quality work? It is well worth spending some time and investing a couple of bucks if this is what you are looking for.

Good luck with your hunt.

Barry
Old 07-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
I suspect that the dent happened after the restoration. Just a guess but the dented part is so well polished and I just cannot fathom someone going to the expense of restoration and not repairing it at the same time. Not an easy or inexpensive repair to undertake.
I thought the same thing...

Shari

Old 07-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
That's what I was thinking as well, the segment dent must have come after the renovation.

Seller says he put $40K into it. I can believe that if the renovation was done right. You could buy a $3k trailer, and spend a lot more than the $24K (reserve not met) price to get it into the shape this one appears to be in. Still, that's a lot of money to drop on something that you haven't seen in person. And, you also have to be willing to put up with the dented segments, or pay another few $thousand to get it fixed.

I think the key phrase here is, "If the renovation was done right."

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinupchamp View Post
Hello to all you lucky Airstream owners! I hope to join your ranks soon enough, and am currently in the market for one fantastic airstream...not unlike this one at auction on Ebay...

eBay Motors: 1956 Airstream vintage travel trailer 22' GORGEOUS (item 190235838161 end time Jul-19-08 11:53:23 PDT)

Starting bids are $24,000 and this doesn't meet reserve. Is this a realistic price for this unit? I read all the stickies and info on the internet that I could find about pricing vintage trailers, it's not really 100% "restored" but is certainly the trailer we may be looking for and seems to be in tip -top shape. It's beautiful.

I have also looked at other new trailers and know what the prices are for them - both airstream and stick and tin models.

Please help! There is so much to consider when buying a trailer (as I know from a failed experiment with a tent trailer...)

Best regards,
Lisa
Fix the dents, take off the roof top air and go with central air, go with a vintage awning, fix the drip cap above the door, get rid of the rack on top, replace rear tail lamps with original. I would want to see pictures of the frame, floor, tanks, and electrical system. Then my guess on price would be $35,000.
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Well, it closed at $32,364 (reserve not met)

Shari

Tags