Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Okay, fine, true confession time.

I eagerly paid $1,500 for this bent 1972 29' as I wished to have spare parts. The interior is clean and without much wear, all utilities work including the Armstrong A/C. It is destined to live out its days gutted as a power-house & work shop on rural property... Just go see how much 'shed' $1500 buys these days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.php?attachmentid=46935.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	163932  
Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
You got your money's worth in spare parts AND you got a free shed to boot. Congratulations!
Eastsideloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastsideloco View Post
Nice view from your front door. Sonoran Desert?
Yup, Organ Pipe NM in Arizona, where we'll be in November.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Ok, the fact is, that there are plenty of 70's era beaters out there for less than $1000, but, as you mention, getting them to you could cost more than the trailer. I live in Houston and have seen long (~30 ft) trailers from the 70's go for $500, but I looked at some of them, and they were not towable, and you would have had to put the effort into removing the nasty, stanky interior, just to get it where the one you are looking at already is. So, let me give you a few price points of actual trailers I have seen in Tx in the last two years:

Late 1960's vintage ~25' trailer in "original" (rough) condition: $1500
'70" vintage Excella in really nasty, rough condition: $500
Various 18-21" late 60's to 70's trailers (of course more desireable with shorter length) $3500-$5000.

So...My recommendation...I wouldn't pay more than $1000, and that is assuming you don't have any illusions about being able to pull it and go camping without a lot of additional expense. this also assumes that you can get it to your property without major expense.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thanks. Those are great numbers to have.

I definitely have no illusions or desire to use this for camping. But I've definitely had illusions of having a job site trailer parked in my driveway for use an office. An aluminum tent seems more interesting aesthetically, both from the outside and the inside, and the rent would add up.
Eastsideloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Remember to shop with your nose. If there is even a mild disagreeable odor or irritant it will only become more and more noticeable over time. I ended up doing full rehab plus to get rid of a toxic odor, the catch-22 of passing the project along or manning up to solve problems probably is in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM IV) and I cared which side of that fence I stood...

Quote:
The floor decking is exposed and the walls are insulated
New insulation I hope? You don't want to see the details in old insulation of the lifeforms they've supported over 40 years - do you know what a mouse/rats nest smells like? That faint piņon odor may not be the old fir plywood floor...

Even with toilet gone that era used formaldehyde preservatives in their holding tanks - that degrades to formic acid and a bazillion other flavors of 'don't feel right' aromatherapy. If the bathroom sheet has not been replaced already I think that would be a minimum requirement for continuous occupation as an office. Also the trailer may be too tight air-exchange wise without some automated HVAC controls, to include air-to-air heat exchanger to conserve energy over the next X years...
Old 07-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have not thought about the shed idea. I need shed space right now since my shed got blown away in March. I could even put a garage door in the back and take the axels off and put if on the ground. I live in the country I could get away with it.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
Okay, fine, true confession time.

I eagerly paid $1,500 for this bent 1972 29' as I wished to have spare parts. The interior is clean and without much wear, all utilities work including the Armstrong A/C. It is destined to live out its days gutted as a power-house & work shop on rural property... Just go see how much 'shed' $1500 buys these days!
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote