Old 08-15-2016, 05:26 AM   #29
Currently Looking...
Greeneville , Tennessee
Thank you to all the replies I needed this information too!

ChrisPBacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:27 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member
2000 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Denver , North Carolina
Just in case anyone is waiting for follow up. I combined a couple of suggestions and offered a price based on the inspection. The price was 10,000 under his start. He thinks we can come to an agreement. However, now the problem is getting into the dealer for the inspection. 2 to 3 times a day calls to the service department with no call back. This is to the oldest AS dealer in the state. Not the first bump in the road with this dealer. We walked around the lot for 30 minutes in and out of every thing that was open and no sales person. Then we asked to have a salesman come to talk to us, another 30 minutes and we left. It's not feeling good to be depending on this dealer for the inspection and the potential service down the road. As I was typing this, the service dept called and they are down to 1 tech. 2 weeks before they can get to the inspection. Feeling a little better, the seller is working with me and I got a call back. It's a good day.

mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Hang in there Mbub.

We actually said our deal was a no go and cancelled it. Then we got a call from a very nice pvt inspector who helped us out. So deal is back on.

Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:56 PM   #32
Sudbury , Massachusetts
In an earlier post you noted that you got 45% off MSRP. In this post you mention that 20% is dod you manage a 45% discount?
Joellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member
2008 25' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Price and Negotiation tips

I received a 45% discount because of several circumstances that when combined, created the perfect opportunity... timing is everything sometimes:

1. The trailer had been on the lot for 12+ months at a small dealer in Iowa.

2. Slight hail damage so the dealer likely took down an insurance claim that reduced their cost of goods sold (We agreed that the trailer was being sold "as-is" regarding exterior "damage" - I never repaired the light peppering, it was barely noticable)

3. It was a cold, miserable march in 2009 in Nebraska. The economy was in the pits. Nobody was spending disposable income on luxury items like travel trailers and so nothing was moving in the local marketplace.

4. The dealer was, I believe, struggling to a certain extent given the economy and needed cash flow

5. I had cash in hand and was a serious buyer, ready to make a purchase

Add those circumstances up and the result was a 45% discount out the door. We were extremely firm with our offer. "It was what it was" and we offered to bring a certified check over within 24 hours if they could make the financials work. If not, that was ok, we'd keep looking.

In the end we came up just $1,000 from our opening offer and I think they came down over $10k on theirs, and they started with a steep discount out of the gate.

It was a win-win. The dealer was able shed some long standing inventory with cash flow to help float the business through some tough times and I had a solid new trailer with minor hail damage on the top of 2 end caps to hit the road with.

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote