Old 09-14-2016, 12:35 PM   #15
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Annandale , Virginia
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
You might want to create and email address that you use exclusively with Craigslist and similar for sale sites.
Great point. I personally have a permanent forwarding account that only my closest friends and family have. Invariably, someone sends me an e-card or an invite from a 3rd party website and I don't open the link. I delete it and e-mail separately after the fact to RSVP. Furthermore, because I don't auto-load 3rd party content/images, there's no chance that they'll confirm my address if I accidentally open an e-mail with such tracking pixels/images

I have a shopping/everything else e-mail address that I use for all of my shopping and subscriptions to forums. I do get some spam, but generally, it's acceptable spam because I used that address to get it. If there ever comes a time that this gets to be too much, then I can abort the address and change my e-mail address to something different and update only the sites/forums I want to receive e-mail from.

Finally, I have another address that is basically a disposable address. If I need to confirm I'm me but never care to see anything sent to me, it goes to that address.

This has worked very well for me and I got my sister to do the same. But it doesn't do any good if you are prone to clicking on an embedded link, regardless of how tempting or good it looks. Never click on a link in an e-mail, even if it appears to be from a bond ride sender, like your bank, insurance company, or otherwise. And be sure to use strong passwords and change them often too.

2017 Classic 30', ProPride 3P Hitch, 2016 RAM 3500 Laramie CC 4x4 SRW w/ 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel and Retrax Pro MX Tonneau Cover
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Originally Posted by riffin-rich View Post
Chief, data mining would be the least of threats to be considering ... I'm thinking they had considerably more malicious intent in mind... Having a confirmed email address to someone who responded to such an ad opens a world of possibilities with many downstream consequences, starting with crafted emails targeting someone's interest. It's hard not to load content that could carry a malicious payload... And then the root kit is installed and all of your accounts and contacts and keystrokes and and and ...
If you say so that must be right.

WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
He's absolutely right. As a computer security professional, I recognize that's an easily achieved worst-case scenario.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote