Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #1

San Francisco , California
Question Please evaluate this Craigslist ad

The price is almost right on this one. Does it look like a good deal? What initial questions should I ask?

31FT 1978 AIRSTREAM TRAILER

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. I did follow the sticky to get a local volunteer advisor but there are none in the SF Bay Area.

And sorry if this is a duplicate post. I can't find my other post I thought I made a few minutes ago!
AtariBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
I can't really tell you if it's a good price or not. But I would like to ask....how long have you been looking?
This is what I did to find mine.
I wrote down a list of things and items that I wanted in my AS. I also made note of how long of one I wanted based on my car and where I would be towing it.
Once I narrowed the field to a window of years (1960-1967) I started my search of the classified's here on this board, Craig's list (and I looked at all the area's that I was willing to travel to) Ebay, and vintage classified AS. I would look at all those web sites about twice a day till I found a good price balanced with work that might have to be done. So when I found mine I was KNEW with all my heart it was the right choice and price. I printed out the check list of what to look for when buying a used AS and took a flash light and other tools to check it out.
I got lucky..
Good luck and finding your dream. It's out there somewhere waiting for you.
Meredith
meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I like Meredith's comments, it's an organized plan. And, an organized plan will make sure you get the trailer you want.

As for the trailer in the ad, one can't see much from the photos he posted. I would ask for much larger photos including the kitchen, and ask what appliances have been changed (refer, furnace, water heater, AC) and when. No matter how nicely it's been kept, all those things will very likely all need to be changed if not immediately, in the near future. They just will not live forever. Neither do tires and running gear (brakes, bearings, axles etc.)

For the price he is asking, I would expect them all to be fairly new. The exception might be the AC unit; they seem to be able to last nearly forever, and if it's the original Armstrong, can almost always be repaired or rebuilt.

The interior he shows is original. Same comment for the fabric as made above re the appliances: it does not last forever.

All in all, I would say that for what he is asking, I would expect tip top shape, and I don't see that in the limited phtos. There's a kiss on the front streetside that doesn't look pretty, for example.

By the way, welcome to Airforums.com! What you are doing is just one example of how we can help you along the way with your trailer. There are also people willing to inspect them at reasonable fees, or free (I would at least offer fuel costs if they are not fairly close to the triler being inspected.) You will see an access panel to find one near you on the portal page, the one you land on when you login.

Also, as Meredith mentioned, there is a Classified section on here. Be sure to log in using your current user name/password that you use here. You will see a link to it on one of the top horizontal bars with a white background.

Good luck, and keep asking questions!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
We all have opinions and they're worth about what you pay for them. I think you posted this in exactly the right forum, and I love to share my opinions so I'll tell you what I think of the trailer in this ad.

Just from looking at the photos and description, I think their asking price is high. Of course, asking prices aren't usually the lowest price the seller will accept.

To command a 5-figure price, a late-70s 31-footer would need to be very well updated and ready to camp. It should have all-new seals on doors, windows and lockers, PEX plumbing with newer fixtures, recently-replaced axles, tires with a few seasons left in them, a modern 12v converter/charger, maybe updated appliances like a newer water heater and/or refrigerator, etc. These things are all conspicuous in their absence in the Craigslist ad, but perhaps some of them are actually there and inspection or inquiry would show that.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariBaby View Post
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. I did follow the sticky to get a local volunteer advisor but there are none in the SF Bay Area.
I think this is the right place. And I didn't noticed before you had already tried the sticky for inspectors.

Might not be a bad idea to ask in your next post on your thread in "Trailer Values" here. Perhaps someone is travelling near by; it's vacation time, after all.

Quote:
And sorry if this is a duplicate post. I can't find my other post I thought I made a few minutes ago!
Yes, you put the other one in the Community foruym.

Here's a hint: if you want to see posts that you have made, look in the horizontal blue bar near the top, and click on "Quick Links". Go down to "Subscribed Links" and click on it. You will see all the threads you have posted in.

I will erase the duplicate you made of this one, it hasn't had any replies yet.

[Edit: I see Janet beat me to it ]

Aage
Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #6

Thanks all for your time.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
The price is almost right on this one. Does it look like a good deal? What initial questions should I ask?

31FT 1978 AIRSTREAM TRAILER

Link is already taken off craigslist, from the group you can get opinions but pictures, a list of things needing replacement would get a better idea on worth.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #8

Oh thanks for replying. I merely posted again to thank the previous posters. While I should note the seller has dropped the price to $10K, I think we've decided not to look at this time.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariBaby
Oh thanks for replying. I merely posted again to thank the previous posters. While I should note the seller has dropped the price to $10K, I think we've decided not to look at this time.
I'm in the Bay Area and am confident in my ability to spot troubled trailers, since I have full-monty'd times two, my Argosy. Send me a PM if you'd like me to look at something for you. Better yet, tell me what you're looking for, as far as vintage and condition and I prob. Know where one is hiding. If you are open to Avion, I know of a 67 that is super solid, no dents, dings but needs a complete interior redo for around $1700 (in the Bay Area!) I only know about them because of my own search, I am not a paid attorney spokesperson. :-)
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote