Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Rome , New York
Newb Needs Opinions on Value

I'm considering purchasing a '68 Overlander from a work colleague and I'm looking for some opinions/advice on the value. I trust the seller, but I want to make sure we make a fair deal for both parties. This is an emotional sale and purchase, which can sometimes cloud better judgement.

The seller purchased it approximately 13 years ago in fairly good original condition. He proceeded to do a complete restoration over the next few years keeping everything completely original or as close to as possible. Nothing modern or out of place, except for the running gear (axles, wheels, tires, brakes, etc.). The air conditioner needs work which he is addressing now before he'd sell it. The are also many little extras he's throwing in, like wheel chocks, polished tanks, leveling sway control hitch.

I know the standard response is "it's worth what someone is willing to pay."... So my question is; What would you pay?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Jstolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:24 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Frankfurt , on the road
There are a lot variables.

Could he ask for offers on the market and give you the last word over the highest serious bid?

I bought a '68 unit like the one you are describing about 1,5 years ago. You can pm me if you want to ask more details.
tony hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:02 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Rome , New York
After doing quite a bit of research the last week or so. It seems like the value of a 1968 Overland International in restored condition is around $16-$18k. Based on eBay sold/completed listings, Airforums, Airstream Classifieds, Craigslist, and Vintage Airstream. Would you agree with this Tony? Thanks for the input.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Low?

I think that is a bit low if it is really good condition and is camp ready.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:15 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Frankfurt , on the road
Jstolo,
for your information, I have sent you a PM and a link to photos of the ready to roll '68 at the time of purchase.
Tony
tony hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:57 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Rome , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hunt View Post
Jstolo,

for your information, I have sent you a PM and a link to photos of the ready to roll '68 at the time of purchase.

Tony

Thank you Tony! It's always good to a knowledgeable opinion. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
$16-$18k sounds like a reasonable value for a camping ready trailer. Just keep in mind that a "complete renovation" can mean different things to different people. Has the trailer been retrofitted with grey water tanks? Was the subfloor completely replaced? Is the exterior completely polished to a mirror shine? Does the trailer have awnings? If so, maybe it is worth a bit more, if not, a bit less. In my experience, eBay completed sales offer a good data point on how much people are actually paying for things, but I also find that people tend to pay more than the trailer is worth, as they are frequently buying sight unseen, and emotions cause them to bid higher than they should.

Also keep in mind that it sounds like it has been around 10 years since the rennovation was done--floors rot in 10 years, door and window seals crack or compress and need to be replaced, shells develop leaks.

The big question is, what is your friend asking for it?

good luck
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Rome , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
$16-$18k sounds like a reasonable value for a camping ready trailer. Just keep in mind that a "complete renovation" can mean different things to different people. Has the trailer been retrofitted with grey water tanks? Was the subfloor completely replaced? Is the exterior completely polished to a mirror shine? Does the trailer have awnings? If so, maybe it is worth a bit more, if not, a bit less. In my experience, eBay completed sales offer a good data point on how much people are actually paying for things, but I also find that people tend to pay more than the trailer is worth, as they are frequently buying sight unseen, and emotions cause them to bid higher than they should.

Also keep in mind that it sounds like it has been around 10 years since the rennovation was done--floors rot in 10 years, door and window seals crack or compress and need to be replaced, shells develop leaks.

good luck
I should have said "restoration" not renovation.

Has the trailer been retrofitted with grey water tanks? (No, but the fresh water and black water tanks are new.)

Was the subfloor completely replaced? (Yes completely with marine grade plywood and coated with some kind of sealer on both sides.)

Is the exterior completely polished to a mirror shine? (No, the exterior was pretty noice so he left it alone.)

Does the trailer have awnings? (Yes. Like new)
Old 02-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Rome , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post

good luck
I should have said "restoration" not renovation.

Has the trailer been retrofitted with grey water tanks? (No, but the fresh water and black water tanks are new.)

Was the subfloor completely replaced? (Yes completely with marine grade plywood and coated with some kind of sealer on both sides.)

Is the exterior completely polished to a mirror shine? (No, the exterior was pretty nice so he left it alone.)

Does the trailer have awnings? (Yes. Like new)

It has always been stored inside on jack stands so the weight is off the axles and to stop the tires from dry rotting. Window seals are all new and only one window is a replacement but not lexan.

We have not decided on a price yet. He told me to do some research and he would too. He is being really fair with me I think. I would pay him anything he is asking because I know the quality of his restorations, but I want to make sure I don't take a huge loss if I decide to sell it in a few years. I'm not planning to but you never know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	279985  
Old 02-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
That's a pretty nice little Farmall tractor sitting next to it! Looks to be a Cub, but the PTO looks just peculiar enough to make me doubt myself. I recently sold my '53 Cub to help offset some our Airstream restoration cost... such is life.

Looks like a good trailer!

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:59 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Rome , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc View Post
That's a pretty nice little Farmall tractor sitting next to it! Looks to be a Cub, but the PTO looks just peculiar enough to make me doubt myself. I recently sold my '53 Cub to help offset some our Airstream restoration cost... such is life.

Looks like a good trailer!

Dave

The Farmall is for sale too Dave! It's a '51 cub complete restoration.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Very cool! Those are neat little tractors to play with. All the systems are so straight forward. I used to think that an antique tractor hobby could get expensive... Airstreams are in a whole different league when you start reno/resto work, modifying, upgrading, etc.

I'd be hard pressed to let that Airstream pass me by. There's a whole lot to be said for lack of unknowns, and buying from anybody off the street is full of unknowns. You're in a good spot to get a great one for sure. Post pictures of your first camping trip with it when you get it!

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:02 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Miami , Florida
2 years into my own 68 Overlander renovation

The exterior looks to be in outstanding condition in the picture. No dents or dings. Not even and peeling of the clear coat. What you posted about marine plywood in the floor, like new awnings and new black and water tanks is also a big plus. If you plan on keeping this trailer for many years, you are making a great choice.
If you "want to get your money back" when you sell it in 2 or 3 years, I'm not sure this is the trailer for you. People seem to pay a premium for the polished exterior and the eye candy of a new interior, even if the "bones" of the trailer are in bad shape.
Personally, I dislike the original interiors of the 60s airstreams, so I would gut it anyway. But starting out with a trailer in great shape, no leaks, no rot, no disgusting years of cigarette smoke to scrub off... Priceless.

A final note. Even if it has been on jack stands since day 1, 49 year old torsion axles should be replaced if you want to trailer it more than 50 miles.
TurkeyRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:59 PM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Tires die with time, not usually from wear. If the date codes are older than 5 years, they are dead even if they have never been on the ground. The potential damage that a blowout can do to Airstream wheel wells and the aluminum around them is too high to risk running old tires.

The reason that the floor was replaced was that at some point in time the coach leaked. Fixing those leaks is critical to it's ongoing life expectancy, so a frank discussion with the owner is needed before you make the final decision. If it's been inside it will be dry now. You want it dry always. It's not difficult to seal a coach, but it has to be done and then maintained. Good luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #15

Bend , Oregon
???

Curious about what happened with the trailer- did you purchase or pass? Jeff
In Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Rome , New York
Purchased!
Old 06-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Rome , New York
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	783.3 KB
ID:	287414
Old 06-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
good for you! Looks great. Hope you got a deal.

Now lets talk about your tow vehicle...

It's very warm on the color spectrum...

ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #19

Bend , Oregon
Congrats, hope you enjoy many great times with it!
In Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:55 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Great looking AS!

Now inside pics please!
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote