Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawfordsville , Indiana
Smile New buyer wants to take the plunge!

I am happy to finally have joined Airforums!

Like many, I have dreamed of owning an Airstream. I am planning on doing a solo cross-country road trip this summer (Indiana to Washington, then California and back), and am looking around at these lovely trailers. I don't have a tow vehicle yet.

I am pretty hand with things like refinishing, flooring, cleaning, building, but don't know much (anything) about electrical and plumbing. I have trailer-camped, but not done the hitching on my own (luckily, I pick things up quickly).

My questions.

I am looking at this trailer on Craigslist. I know it has sat for 2 years. I know it needs batteries and AC (I know not original, but I will be traveling with a kitty who will need it). I don't know the condition of the water pump, heater, black water tank, inverter (is that the right word?), or propane tanks. From looking at various sites, I think this is a 1963 Tradewind International (it is listed as a '64).

1) I think the price is a bit high based on the fact it has been sitting for two years (winterized at least). Looking at the price list linked on other forum posts, it may not be as high as I think it is. Thoughts?

2) I know I will have to fix things up before a 4000 mile trip. Which are the ones I must check/replace definitely, versus could wait (for example, if I use rest stops, I can wait on upgrading the black water tank, right?)?

3) It is a 2.5 hour drive to check it out (near Muncie, IN). What should I look for especially? I am planning on bringing my camera and flashlight and looking in all the panels and under the belly, as well as looking for soft spots. Any suggestions on what to keep an eye out in the panels? I am willing (and looking forward) to fix it up, but I can't afford a total rebuild.

4) As a new driver to trailer hauling, is the single-axle thing a negative? I am planning on buying a Tundra or similar long wheel bed vehicle.

5) Any recommendations of someone in Munice who could look at it for these things?

Thank you for any responses! I am looking forward to finally fulfilling my dream of Airstreams and cross-country adventures!

Here are more pics from the seller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04682 (2).JPG
Views:	128
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	79863   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04684 (2).JPG
Views:	129
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	79864  

Name:	DSC04672 (2).JPG
Views:	130
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	79865   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04681 (2).JPG
Views:	158
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	79866  

kristen_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawfordsville , Indiana
one more pic

Here is the only view of the kitchen he sent me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04676 (2).JPG
Views:	187
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	79867  
Old 05-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Hi Kirsten.

Welcome to Airstreaming.

The photo's look good, but for sure, the axle is shot.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawfordsville , Indiana
Thanks, Andy! You could tell that just from the picture? Wow...
Old 05-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
No Gray water tank

Unless one has been added, there is no gray water tank....which is okay if you always have hookups...or you get a blue boy...and it does look like it will need a new axle....but it sure has the potential of being a sweet trailer.......good luck with your Airstream Adventure and welcome to the forums.....I like those 60's trailers......pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen_w View Post
Thanks, Andy! You could tell that just from the picture? Wow...
Kirsten.

You can tell yourself.

First if a torsion axle equipped trailer, sits for a long time, the rubber rods will fail. Rubber must be exercised to stay alive.

Second, all the axles prior to 74, will fail because the composition of the rubber rods was incorrect.

Third, which you can see in the photo, you must be able to see the tires above the top of the wheels about 2 to 3 inches.

In this case, the top of the wheel is hidden.

There is also an article that you can read about axles, that's in Airstream Central.

A replacement axle is not a big deal.

Andy
Old 05-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawfordsville , Indiana
Will the trailer be towable to Muncie or Indianapolis (20 miles or 85 miles) to get the axle replaced? Recommendations for who to have do it in those locations?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Looks like a nice trailer. I believe you may be correct on it being a 63. It looks like my 63. The bath layout is different, i have the double beds. I agree the axels do look bad. I had mine replaced and what a difference, no more popped rivets. On the interior look for any signs of water leaks/damage from the windows, vents, door, and overall. Check plumbing fittings and connections for signs of leaks. Even a small stain can indicate damage to the floor. Also if it is origional, the black tank is about 6 gallons, no gray tank, the origional fresh water tank is aprox 20 gallons (?). Look under the beds, pull the drawers out, look in the hard to see places.
The price doesn't seam to bad. you can neg. a better price due to the cost for the new axel replacement.
Good Luck!!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
There is a much nicer 75 Intl Overlander, near Mooresville, IN. We took a look at it a few days ago, you might want to check it out as well. PM me for more details.

1975 AIR STREAM

Note it's listed at a 'Air Stream' so you have to search with the space.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawfordsville , Indiana
Thanks Inland RV! I will be heading to that area this summer, so I may have to stop by!
Thanks Sixty3! Good to hear from someone who has the same model! Do you think if it has the original back tank, it is possible to be in usable condition? How did '60s RVers use these trailers off-grid without a gray water tank??
If there are any signs of water, should I give up on it, or is there such a thing and minor, livable water damage (as in, the floor could be patched and not replaced)?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Man, it does look sweet.

You ask about the single axle issue ... I've only towed a much smaller single axle trailer a couple times and it was a bear. I bought my double axle trailer and was immediately surprised at how easy it was to maneuver. But, I suppose that, like everything, practice makes perfect (or close). I wouldn't let that item stop me from taking a look at it though!!!

Oh - about the gray tank issue. I had the same question - found that they used to just let the gray-water (rinse water) run out onto the land. Back then, it wasn't so unacceptable or monitored!!!

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawfordsville , Indiana
Laura,
Thanks for the insight!
I am planning on going to see it this Saturday. I just can't decide if I should bring a fist full of cash just in case. I don't want me first trailer to turn into an expensive disaster. A somewhat-expensive-but-well-worth-it-adventure is what I am hoping for!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
They dug gopher holes for the gray water....

Quote:
How did '60s RVers use these trailers off-grid without a gray water tank??
If there are any signs of water, should I give up on it, or is there such a thing and minor, livable water damage (as in, the floor could be patched and not replaced)?
It was common in those days to let the gray water just go into the ground.....not anymore.....but if you have a hookup, it is not an issue....

How about trying to find an inspector on the forums to help you assess the trailer?.....a soft floor can be a problem....because stuff has to come out to replace the floor...just a thought. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 05-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawfordsville , Indiana
Thanks PJ!
I sent an email to the closest inspector I could find. I will look at the floor carefully.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I have a very similar '63 Tradewind in Anderson, IN that I have restored.

I had a new axle installed last month at the Airstream factory in Jackson Center, OH. A '63 requires that new holes be drilled because the axle maker (Henschen) has changed the alignment beginning in the 1970's. I watched them install my axle, and it was much more than just bolting it on. After the initial installation, they aligned the axle so that it tracked straight, and adjusted the camber of each wheel with a hydaulic jack that looked like it was made out of a forklift. Even though it is claimed that the axles are self aligning, Airstream had to make minor adjustments to both orientations.

My trailer height did not change (much to my surprise), so the rule of how much tire shows on 7 panel and older Airstreams does not seem valid to me. While at the factory, I measured several Airstream wheel opening and discovered that early trailers (like ours) were not cut up as high. While the "how much tire is showing rule" seems valid on Airstreams made since the 70"s, it did not apply to my '63. My torsion rods had become rigid, but had not sagged. However, the original axles on my Tradewind looked just like yours. They probably need replaced, but from my experience don't expect to see any more tire with a 22 degree starting angle axle.

Newer trailers have their wheel opening cut higher to expose more tire.
The wheel opening (on newer trailers) seems to have changed to accommodate radial tires. It is somewhat of a challenge to get the wheels with radial tires on and off the axles on 1963 and earlier Airstreams. The original bias ply tires were just enough narrower to make a difference.

Even though I see no more tire than I did with the old axle, the ride is MUCH improved and I am glad I installed a new axle.

I believe they charged me about $1100. Well worth it for a professional job.

Mike Brumback
1963 Tradewind
WBCC #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Quote:
Thanks Inland RV! I will be heading to that area this summer, so I may have to stop by!
Thanks Sixty3! Good to hear from someone who has the same model! Do you think if it has the original back tank, it is possible to be in usable condition? How did '60s RVers use these trailers off-grid without a gray water tank??
The black tank is probably (?) ok, the tank valve, the one to drain the tank may need replacement, they can leak, and that can leave a puddle of *$@#^< on the ground, it's not an expensive fix. I use a portable tank called a Blue Boy (mine is gray), when full take it to the dump station, i only put the gray water in it, NOT black. In the 60s we put the gray water on the ground. Repair of floor depends on the level of the damage, BAD= repair now, MINOR= repair can wait if it's not in a traffic area, (like at the front door, or the bathroom), yes things can be patched. Should you get the trailer??? If the price is right!!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Will the trailer be towable to Muncie or Indianapolis (20 miles or 85 miles) to get the axle replaced? Recommendations for who to have do it in those locations?
That short distance would not hurt the trailer anymore or less than it already has been.

Andy
Old 05-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Close enough to Jackson Center

Looks like Muncie is only about 100 miles or so from Jackson Center.....maybe you can just tow it there and have them replace the axle...the could look at some of the other stuff as well perhaps.....although I don't have any experience about how they are with vintage units.......pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 05-11-2009, 08:35 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawfordsville , Indiana
After crawling all over that trailer (with help from inspector Grand Master! What a huge and delightful help!!), it seems it needs all of its systems replaced. The shell is beautiful and intact, as is the interior. I encourage any of you to take a look at it.

After much soul searching, I've made a list of what I am and am not willing to restore. Furnace, water heater, and LP system... too much. Only one of them? Maybe. So this trailer is a 'no go' for me. Taking advice both from Mike (Grand Master) and vintageairstream.com's Price Guide, I am now looking for one in nicer condition, that I could use sooner, and fix up as I desire or restore, etc.

I have come back here, because I found one that looks very nice online. It is a 71' TradeWind for $9500. The drawback is it is in New Mexico, so I can't easily go see it.
1971 Airstream Travel Trailer The owner did send me about 22 pictures

It looks nice, with some slight body damage near the belly pan. What do you guys think? Any red flags? I am going to find an inspector out there to check it out, and would like to know if you think there is something to be watchful for!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
That's a distance

I recommend you look for a trailer closer to where you live.....just IMHO..............the logistics of getting that trailer to you worries me.....good luck...pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593

Tags
tradewind