Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Crawfordsville , Indiana
Thanks for all the good comments. In my continuing search (and adventure) for an Airstream, I have been looking everywhere (online), and have seen two in person (vintage versions). I looked at new models when I was still living in California, and am trying to compare from memory. Those were super nice, though there is something delightfully charming about the 1960s models. These are the ones I am still the most drawn to.

I saw a 1975 today, and just didn't know what to do about all the cracked and wrinkling plastic surfaces. Wood can be veneered, replaced, sanded, stained, etc. Warped plastic? I don't know! I also really like the layouts of the 23' - 27' 1960s "double" with the two wardrobes and drawers and the rear bath. Since I only need to sleep 1-2 at a time, this seems ideal over the twin or the ones that have been converted to bunks.

It has been fun looking at all the pictures for ideas and things to look for, what things I can live with, what I am willing to fix, and what I want to walk away from. I can't believe how many have broken or questionable furnaces, and how expensive furnaces are. I don't know if I will ever need one, so it might not matter, but it seems like a big item!

I have taken the advice to heart to look for one already fixed up, as they are "cheaper" than fixing up myself. This seems like sound logic and well within budget. I also want to see it before I buy, though I am willing to travel a little to see it (though preferably within 1 or 2 states distance). All excellent advice.

Keep your eyes out for me! I appreciate all the help!

Jillwill, I will let you know if I hear of a 19 footer!

kristen_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member
1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona

I am glad to see that you are distilling all the information you have acquired on the forum, and will soon find the perfect Airstream for you.

I had a great day going with you to look at the '63 Tradewind in Hartford City. It is obvious that you can easily tackle any Airstream project that you set your mind to. I know you will get much enjoyment from Airstreaming.

Thanks for coming to look at our Tradewind, and letting me go with you to look at the "not quite for you" Airstream.

Keep us informed on how you are doing in your quest.

Mike Brumback

Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana

Did you notice the '67 Overlander in Michigan that showed up in the classifieds today?

TV1: Black Sheep, 2001 Dodge 3500, 800,xxx miles, a few non-stock parts here and there...
TV2: Brownie, 1989 Dodge W250, only 256,000 miles!
TV3: 2004.5 Dodge 3500, 415,000 miles, 6 spd
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member
1963 22' Safari
Southern , Illinois
Kristen- I was up at vintage campers last night and Dan has a very nice safari for sale, I think it is 22' long. It is only about a 2 hour drive from. C-ville. Give him a call or e-mail him.
jillwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #33
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Originally Posted by kristen_w View Post
I saw a 1975 today, and just didn't know what to do about all the cracked and wrinkling plastic surfaces. Wood can be veneered, replaced, sanded, stained, etc. Warped plastic? I don't know!
That's a good point, Kristen. I considered some really fancy stick-on wallpaper, but at the price it sells for I continued on to likely wanting to replace the cabinets with something nicer, and more "real".

Have a look at these (not mine, and apologies to the original poster, I forget whose they are!). This would be a winter project of course, not something you whip up over a weekend.

And of course, keepng added weight to a minimum would also be paramount, but what a look!

The with the pantry drawer open:

Finally, the sink side (notice the countertop material is also on the refer door):

Looks even better than the brand new AS trailers, IMHO.

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote