Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Out of curiousity, did you try the classifieds here? Judging by the pictures (and the list of repaired items) there appears to be a pretty nice 67 Overlander that's 26 miles away from you....

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Nice looking trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Out of curiousity, did you try the classifieds here? Judging by the pictures (and the list of repaired items) there appears to be a pretty nice 67 Overlander that's 26 miles away from you....

Tom
I agree and if it really has had the sub floor repaired, that is a big item on Vintage trailers....because the subfloor is an integral part of the whole structure of the trailer, that is very important.......I can't stress that enough. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Bethany , Illinois
Kristen,

Check out vintagecampers.com. He is up in Peru, IN. He goes through his trailers and seems pretty honest about them. Currently has a few early 60's Airstreams.

Good Luck,
airstream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi, Kristen, and welcome to airforums.com!

Jeepers, you are in Indiana, and next door to Ohio. I have no data on it, but you're probably within a 4-5 hour drive of thousands of trailers; why, there are more made in those two states than anywhere else on the planet.

All that to say, I would encourage you to take your time and really get into the habit of looking and learning. I can almost guarantee you that as you go along, you will change your mind several times as to exactly what you want to buy, in terms of size, style, and age.

Read the for sale section here, but use kijiji.com and craigslist.com and even Google to find the local ones, too. You're more likely to find the jem you seek in one of those, than in any "national" advertising or ebay, plus buying local is a big plus, as you will find.

While I applaud your lack of fear of buying one that is far away, there is a big plus in getting out to actually see the many varied styles that were made over the years. Like I said before, I bet you'll change your mind several times, and the more trailers you actually get into, the faster that process can happen.

Good luck, and keep posting about your efforts.

cheers,
Aage
Old 05-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hi Kristen

Again Welcome!

I started Airstreaming about 5 years ago, looked at vintage, gently used and finally bought new - so that I could hitch up and GO.

With 5 years experience under my belt here's my advice.
  • I really respect all restorers - but many spend months or even years rebuilding a vintage unit, and most will have at least $10K to $15K in parts invested into renovation, plus a few thousand more for welding or other specialty work beyond their comfort zone. If they added the cost of their own labor even at $10 per hour - the total cost of a frame off "full monte" is more likely $40K. The end result can be STUNNING if they don't give up in mid stream.
  • New is nice and the 2 year factory guarantee... and when you look at purchase plus restoring cost... well New isn't a bad way to go (BTW you always negotiate off "List" price 15% to 20% if you're good!)
  • Gently used. Do you know how many of us buy then want a bigger or smaller unit? You win, we eat a big steaming pile of depreciation. Been there, done that. Ain't going there again. (winning the lottery... then all bets are off, I'll have a herd of them, and a cute young blond guy to wash and Walbernize them!
The great news is that you DON'T have a tow vehicle. Look at a LOT of Airstreams, find the perfect one, then select a vehicle which will work well to tow it. You could have your Airstream for 30 years, you're going to trade tow vehicles more often than that.

By the way, we just went through 9 days of straight rain. If you're doing long distance traveling or fulltiming, get one you can live in without going bonkers if the same thing happens to you. Bigger is better within reason for long term use... I have the 25 FB SE Safari and it's darn near perfect (but I'm doing a lot of putzing around modifying it.)

Paula
Old 05-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Couldn't have said it better myself.....

I agree with Paula...........and especially the "gently used" option......you will spend the most with "new" and "vintage" unless you are doing the work yourself.....if you need something for this summer....the "gently used" option is the best solution......and please do not buy sight unseen ---don't ask me how I know that....paula (in California)
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Kristen, there is all kinds of us single axler's out here. I prefer the single axle as it tends to be more kind on gas usage, and easier/quicker to manuver.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Kristen, I too am from Montgomery Co. If you find a trailer under 19' in your search let me know. I will keep my eye out for you.
jillwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawfordsville , Indiana
Thanks for all the good comments. In my continuing search (and adventure) for an Airstream, I have been looking everywhere (online), and have seen two in person (vintage versions). I looked at new models when I was still living in California, and am trying to compare from memory. Those were super nice, though there is something delightfully charming about the 1960s models. These are the ones I am still the most drawn to.

I saw a 1975 today, and just didn't know what to do about all the cracked and wrinkling plastic surfaces. Wood can be veneered, replaced, sanded, stained, etc. Warped plastic? I don't know! I also really like the layouts of the 23' - 27' 1960s "double" with the two wardrobes and drawers and the rear bath. Since I only need to sleep 1-2 at a time, this seems ideal over the twin or the ones that have been converted to bunks.

It has been fun looking at all the pictures for ideas and things to look for, what things I can live with, what I am willing to fix, and what I want to walk away from. I can't believe how many have broken or questionable furnaces, and how expensive furnaces are. I don't know if I will ever need one, so it might not matter, but it seems like a big item!

I have taken the advice to heart to look for one already fixed up, as they are "cheaper" than fixing up myself. This seems like sound logic and well within budget. I also want to see it before I buy, though I am willing to travel a little to see it (though preferably within 1 or 2 states distance). All excellent advice.

Keep your eyes out for me! I appreciate all the help!

Jillwill, I will let you know if I hear of a 19 footer!
kristen_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Kristen,

I am glad to see that you are distilling all the information you have acquired on the forum, and will soon find the perfect Airstream for you.

I had a great day going with you to look at the '63 Tradewind in Hartford City. It is obvious that you can easily tackle any Airstream project that you set your mind to. I know you will get much enjoyment from Airstreaming.

Thanks for coming to look at our Tradewind, and letting me go with you to look at the "not quite for you" Airstream.

Keep us informed on how you are doing in your quest.

Mike Brumback
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Kristen,

Did you notice the '67 Overlander in Michigan that showed up in the classifieds today?

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Kristen- I was up at vintage campers last night and Dan has a very nice safari for sale, I think it is 22' long. It is only about a 2 hour drive from. C-ville. Give him a call or e-mail him.
Jill
jillwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #33
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen_w View Post
I saw a 1975 today, and just didn't know what to do about all the cracked and wrinkling plastic surfaces. Wood can be veneered, replaced, sanded, stained, etc. Warped plastic? I don't know!
That's a good point, Kristen. I considered some really fancy stick-on wallpaper, but at the price it sells for I continued on to likely wanting to replace the cabinets with something nicer, and more "real".

Have a look at these (not mine, and apologies to the original poster, I forget whose they are!). This would be a winter project of course, not something you whip up over a weekend.

And of course, keepng added weight to a minimum would also be paramount, but what a look!

The with the pantry drawer open:

Finally, the sink side (notice the countertop material is also on the refer door):

Looks even better than the brand new AS trailers, IMHO.

Tags
tradewind