Old 02-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
"NEW" 2005... How do I estimate the value?

So I have to admit that I have been lurking for a few weeks now... My fiance (former full-timer) and myself (newbie) are looking at making an offer on an airstream within the next week. A few months ago we drove half way across the country and bought a "project" (1975, 30' Cayo 5th wheel) and have since decided that we want to be able to start hitting the road now and not have to wait until the refurb is done. After weeks of looking and going back and forth between size, floor plans and options, we think that we have finally found the perfect trailer for us! The catch is that it is a 2005 but brand new....

It is currently at a dealership and if we purchase it, it will still have a 2 year warranty. When we first looked at it we thought that it was used because of there is some areas that show wear which we later found out are from it sitting in the elements untouched for the last 7 years. There are a few spots were water has gotten in and discolored the fabric on the bed as well as the floor peeling up in one spot, but some of the appliances and cushions are still wrapped in plastic from the factory. All of the issues will be fixed before we pick it up if we can strike a deal.

I think we really found a gem but I have no clue how to figure out its value so that we can make an offer. I went on NADAGuides but it came back with a rather low value and I am guessing that it is taking into account 7 years of use.

I think that we can get a really good deal but I don't want to offer too little and upset the dealer but I get the impression that they just want to get it off their hands.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ashley

Old 02-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your questions, I would think that you should be able to get a good deal on a brand new Airstream that old. I would check thoroughly to make sure that this Airstream has never been titled and will still be under the two year factory warranty. This is an important issue. The dealer might try to hoodwink you and offer you a warranty that is good at his place only. I'm not saying that you are being deceived, but the story sounds a little far fetched.

Assuming that everything is as it appears, I would think that you would be able to get at least 35% off of sticker as the resale value would immediately go to the level of a 7 year old unit.

We have a 2005 25FB that we bought new in 2006. It had been on the dealers lot for 16 months. We got it at 23% off of MSRP.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
It's curious that it has not sold in all this time. Was there a reason given?

I recently picked up a 2004 used in a private sale and many of the appliances had never been used but it had sat neglected. I think it was a great deal and I am happy with it and my decision.

Having a 2 year guarantee if you have a good dealer or can visit the factory is a HUGE benefit. As mentioned find out the scope of that and any retrictions. A call to Airstream service in Jackson Center to might also be prudent.

Normally systems would have been put through their paces and found to be in good order during filed testing or fixed under warranty so prepare for various items needing adjustment. Time for new tires too.

As far as getting so much more for a "new" Airstream, it's just my opinion but I think the price should be very close to what a good condition used one would be. The "new" neglected unit may actually be in poorer condition than the previously loved and gently used and fastidiously maintained units. Check out the prices listed in the classifieds here and elsewhere on the internet for 2005 (2004-2006) units and even the recent models both used and new but slashed to move from other dealerships to help get an idea of street value.

If you do get it, plan to spend a night or two at the dealers or close enough to return for any issues to be corrected.

What floorplan and color scheme and trim level is the 2005?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Value?

My approach would be a small premium over the highest retail value shown in the book. Their cost to acquire and floorplan it all this time is a "sunk" cost, which goes up, and the unit value down, every month. When you tow it away you will have a excellent condition used '05.

Good luck, BabyBoomers
Old 02-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You will be putting on 4 new tires - guaranteed. You'll need to drop the belly pan and inspect the floor from the bottom side. Look for leaks around the rear bumper especially. Unless both vents have Fantastic fans, I'll guarantee one of the leaks at least came from the vent cover deteriorating and eventually shattering (they last 2 years) - and that this leak might have gone unnoticed for WEEKS or even months. Even if all the water landed on the vinyl floor, if it ever rained heavily, there would have been enough to creep under the furniture. Take out all the drawers land look inside the cupboards and cabinets. SNIFF test for mold!

RUN, don't walk if the floor is soft. And DEFINITELY check that the unit has not ever been registered before. Also be concerned if the unit has a "salvage title.

I just cannot understand why the dealer wouldn't have moved it within 18 months of delivery. Of course it's possible it was on a dealer's lot when the dealer went bankrupt, then it was sent to the current dealer.

Good luck,

Paula
Old 02-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Thanks for all the input!

We have a copy of the original paperwork that it can with that includes the serial number. I am going to call up Jackson Center on monday morning and see what I can find out about it. (Will they be able to tell me if it was ever titled and if not, who should I call?)

We will definitely go over it with a fine tooth comb before we sign on the dotted line. We have seen first hand what water damage can do when it is left unchecked... hence giving up on our project. My fiancÚ lived full time in an AS for 5 years and has owned several so he is pretty knowledgable in that area.

If there is not serious damage and all the small things can be fixed to our satisfaction... what do you think we should offer? The paper that I have says that the MSRP is $57,000. NADAGuides.com says that it should sell now between $24,000 and $26,000. Are there any other good websites out there that are good for RV resale values?

I am going to be a little stingy and not say too much more about the model quite yet. It has been sitting there untouched for 7 years but I don't want someone to google that model and have this thread come up and it get sold out from under us. As soon as I get it the deal done I will post the pictures that I took last week and more info.

Any more insight (with the limited info I'm putting out there) would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Airstream may be able to tell you if any warranty work has ever been done, and normally they send out some info to new owners - I got jackets and caps - so they COULD tell you if it's had any use.

However, they might not know if the dealership used it as a "demo" or a perk for their employees, etc. I know of someone who bought a new unit, but found that the black tank was full.... Apparently the unit had been a beach cabana for almost a year. No one was supposed to use the facilities but... well IT happened.

I'd also check with the DMV of your state and perhaps one or two surrounding ones.

I think a 5 year old "new" unit is odd - because of my banking background. Years ago I used to work in the banking industry - one of my specialties was Dealer Finance. Dealers don't outright buy units for their inventory, they finance them - paying interest only until the unit sells - then paying off the principal when the unit sells. Normally they pay prime rate + 1% to 2%... depending on the best deal they can arrange. If you take a $50K unit, @5% interest average, the interest would be about $280 per month. Of course the dealer is financing the wholesale cost only - he sells at a higher price to make a profit. At 5 years, this dealer would have paid $2500 per year or $12,500 in interest. Dealers really strive to turn all their inventory within 3 months of it hitting their floor. Now of course this economy has thrown all the old rule books out of the window, so I'm sure there are units that sit for a year or longer - but they're poison on the lot. Most dealers are ready to do a deep discount, break even or even "cut your losses" deal at the 1 year mark. DIG deep... unless the unit was stolen and recovered, used for a company vacaton perk, something... or the dealer took it over from another bankrupt dealer? If you cannot get a logical story, get a great inspection before you buy.

Paula
Old 02-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Is this a FL dealer? If so, please please PM me. You know what they say ... if its too good to be true....If this in fact is from a reputable dealer, then I betcha they used it as a employee perk! Somethings sneeky in this deal.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Greetings. As to value, the minute you own it, it is worth the same as an excellent used 2005. So don't pay much more than for an excellent condition 2005. In addition, the tires will , in my opinion, need to be replaced as they are 6 years old. It doesn't matter that they haven't had miles put on them.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Update...

I spoke to Jackson Center several times this week and have figured out that we will have a 2 year structural warranty. One of the customer service reps was nice enough to send me an email with the details so that I will have it all in writing.

We are aware that we are purchasing a unit that will be 7 years old the moment we drive it off the lot but I think that we are getting a fair deal for the condition that it is in and the limited warranty.

Random question..... If you were selling an AS and the title was being held at a bank, would you be offended if the buyer requested to have the money wired to the bank and the title turned over there? I just want to make sure that my request is not unreasonable.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLBeachGirl View Post
Update...

I spoke to Jackson Center several times this week and have figured out that we will have a 2 year structural warranty. One of the customer service reps was nice enough to send me an email with the details so that I will have it all in writing.

We are aware that we are purchasing a unit that will be 7 years old the moment we drive it off the lot but I think that we are getting a fair deal for the condition that it is in and the limited warranty.

Random question..... If you were selling an AS and the title was being held at a bank, would you be offended if the buyer requested to have the money wired to the bank and the title turned over there? I just want to make sure that my request is not unreasonable.

Thanks!
Is your random question about the 7-yr-old new Airstream, or another one you're considering? If it's a new-at-dealer trailer, it should never have had a title issued to it, and this is a red flag.

If it's another Airstream you're considering, and a bank holds the note on it, you're well within the bounds of reason to send the money directly to the bank. That protects your interests, since the seller could (if they don't care about their credit rating) take all of the money and not pay off the note.

When wiring money "to the bank" make sure that it's to the bank itself, and not to the account of the seller. Another way is to present a certified check made out to both the lienholder and the seller at the bank. I used that method long ago when selling a motorcycle that had a note. The buyer presented the check to the bank, so that if there was anything iffy with the check it was an issue between him and the bank, the buyer was assured that the bank holding the lien got the money and released the lien, etc.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #12
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There is much here that I do not understand and I hope you'll let us know how this turns out.

To my way of thinking there is no such thing as a "new" 2005 trailer now, this being February 2011. So regardless of its history you're buying a "used" trailer and should adjust the price you're willing to pay, accordingly.

Many of the components will deteriorate as much from time exposure to the elements especially in Florida where there is salt.

You may find that warranty service is unavailable on many components regardless of whether you consider the trailer "new" or "used" because Dometic and other vendors simply won't play along.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
I am still looking at the "new" 2005. It is at an authorized Airstream service center that used to be a dealership. It appears that they have hit hard times and stopped taking in new inventory several years ago. This unit is the last of their "new" product.

The bank financed the unit either at the time that the dealership acquired it from Jackson Center or a few years later when the business got into trouble. From the research that I have done (with Jackson Center) this unite has never been titled. (I will check with the area DMV's next week)

My fiance spoke to the loan officer at the bank where the title is being held to insure that they indeed did have it and that the offer that we made the "dealer" would release the title.

From speaking with the bank, everything seems to be in order. But the dealer got offended when my fiance suggested that he go to the bank with them (and our cashier's check) to get the title and that was kinda of a red flag... I just wanted to make sure that we were not out of line for asking to either wire the money directly to the bank and pick up the title ourselves or go to the bank with them and the cashier's check to get the title.

Hopefully that is a little more clear.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
It sounds good! Looks like your good fortune. I am excited for you!! You are not out of line to make the arrangements for your comfort and peace of mind. Our purchases and sales have all been through bank transfers arranged in advance. Going through an approved Airstream dealer should not be problematic. We have gone to the bank together or waited at the dealership.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote