Old 01-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

debary , Florida
Thank you Alan!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
This is a major undertaking. The age and condition tell.. you will more than likely wind up tearing/stripping the trailer all of the way down to the skeleton then putting it back together.

It is a huge amount of work. Things that you look at and think that will take one weekend will wind up taking 4. You will put so much time into it that you will burn out.

It is a dirty job. Go to Goodwill and get some clothes. Some you will only wear once.
You will need space for the trailer and space to store junk. A lot of junk, for a long time.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
You are welcome.
This is another good source of information.
Price vs. Condition - Vintage Airstream
Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
No I don't mind you asking. It is a lot of work. If you click on my icon, you search for "all threads started my user". It will give you an idea. Truthfully, you will be very lucky to get a towable trailer for $1300.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #19

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
If you are looking at it with dreamy eyes, envisioning camping in wild and exotic locations, seeing the USA in your bright shiny trailer....ya might want to do a reality check and look for something a bit more complete...

Now if you are looking for a PROJECT, that may well fit the bill.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
You might want to read the forum posted called Just bought my 1st 31 International, just a few items down that is currently on page one.

He also got a good deal, but after pulling up the floor, the frame was shot and unusable. There are some real good deals out there if you take your time looking. Rebuilding something up that has had all the things removed can be very expensive. Our 1972 31' International we have owned 19 years and have spent thousands in it making it very comfortable and modern. It was in real great shape to began with.
Not to scare you away, but just to ensure that the coach you get not only meets your needs and your budget, but can be used right off. Many folks want to remodel and when they realize how much work it is, as it is a love of labor, there is not much enjoyment so they lose the momentum.
You know what you want, so take your time in finding it, so you can enjoy it. A good coach can be bought for around $4K-$7.5K, which if you were to invest this into this coach, you'd have a floor, new appliances thus realizing the axles need to be replaced before you can tow it without doing damage to all the work you just completed.
Keep searching the forums and the classifies on the forums, search the web for a few dealers and contact them as they may have some older coaches for sale not on their website.

Have fun in your research, but have more fun by getting out in that Airstream

Best of Luck

SL4BLLT
Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I usually recommend buying the best trailer that you can get, because in the overall scheme of things, it usually works out better in the end. But this is a little different. You are looking for a place to live full time. Heck, if it has good windows and a good skin and a good door, it is easily worth $1,300. You are both young and it will teach you a lot about a lot of different things. The education you will get will be worth more than $1,300. I say go for it.

The problem with the naysayers is that they would not buy it. Well, I would not buy it either because my situation is different than yours. But if I were 21 years old and looking to make myself a place to live and I found a vintage Airstream with a good skin and the windows intact for $1,300, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I hope that you get it. Welcome to the Airstream community.

Dan
Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
needing advice from airstream experts! please read!

Greetings jerr1955!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerr1955 View Post
Overlander64 about the kit can you explain that a little more my husband wants to know more about it
The only 1970s trailer that I have owned is the Minuet so I don't have first hand experience with the kit. My understanding is that the kit includes plates that install on both sides of the frame in the vicinity of the axles with the reinforcement plates being attached to the original frame with heavy-duty bolts and/or welded in place. Prior to their installation, it is my understanding that the entire frame needs to be fully supported and leveled and allowed to remain that way for several hours (24 to 36 hours if I remember correctly) then the reinforcements are installed. I believe that the reinforcement plates are installd from just ahead of the axles to just behind the axles. There are several threads here on the Forums regarding these reinforcement plates . . . .

Frame Stiffener Kit -- There is a pdf of the Factory Service Bulletin in this thread
31-Foot Excella Problems
Rear Separation and Rear Sag on My '72
Google Search for Related Posts

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I agree with Touringdan, you have plenty of time to work on it, and if it does not work out for you you can always sell it for $1300, some one will snap it up, even just for parts.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Currently Looking...
Mazomanie , Wisconsin
Everyone so far is absolutely correct. It will cost much more to fix than you expect. Axles, frame, floor, air conditioner, appliances, interior cabinets and furnace, seating, upholstery, drapes, plumbing, electrical, plus labor to remove and/or install all of the above. I have done all of these on my 28' 82 Excella. Even only paying for materials, the time involved is enormous. You should probably plan on years unless you are both unemployed. On the other hand, I wouldn't do it again, but once has been an experience. Knowing what I know now, his wife would probably pay you to remove this project. Be brave but be careful. Jeff
Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
GO FOR IT!!!! you're young. had I known what I know now through restorations and remodels I wouldn't have been admiring them when I was your age...I would've been buying them. If you're going to live in it imagine what you would be spending in rent in a one bedroom apartment and it would never be yours. It is a large undertaking but it is a 200 sq foot house that you almost don't have to worry about inspectors. I'm not advocating doing what you want because you still have to know how to wire both 12V and 110V and plumb and build cabinetry and carpet or hardwood floor but the sky is the limit. Buy stuff from craigslist or Ikea (god forbid) and have at it. The worst that can happen is you learn. basically at 1300.00 you have about that much in scrap metal so you'd be able to make it back if it doesnt work out. First investment is about 1500.00 in axles if you want to get it roadworthy as well as brakes and working lights. Never go on the PO's word on what is or isn't there. Get an inspector out and give his assessment. But I say GO FOR IT!!!!! life is too short not to own an AIRSTREAM...CAN I GET AN AMEN?!?!?!?!?!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
AMEN Brother!!!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I second the "AMEN".

The last thing that I would worry about right now is axles. You only will need new axles and brakes when/if you start to do some traveling in it. You have enough other stuff to worry about- electrical, plumbing, heating and air conditioning, cabinets, flooring, etc.

Dan
Old 01-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
Thanks Dan.

Agreed...I only meant that if they needed to get it somewhere which my guess is the PO wants it off his property and who knows where it needs to go. Strangely enought I when I got my 31' excella I couldn't find ANYONE willing to put it on a lowboy or similar trailer to get it to me. So I ended up doing a very slow 50 mph 95 mile tow to get it to my warehouse and sure enough all the cabinets in front of the axels shook lose from the rivets and the center wall punched through the inner skin. Granted the one they're looking at has no interior but axles sure could shake the shell to death. but again its just the quirky things that make people wonder why we are so obsessed...and possesive...and protective...and just straight up LOONIE!!!!!